Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Beginner needs advice

Really want to try some fly fishing out next year, so I'm looking for all kinds of advice, equipment (need everything), locations good for beginners(close to Edmonton), easy way to learn to start cast

As for equipment from quick browsing I think I would start with 5-6wt length I have no idea. What would be some affordable options/ brands to look for for a set up also a reel, I know pretty much squat about fly gear.

And advise is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesr View Post
Really want to try some fly fishing out next year, so I'm looking for all kinds of advice, equipment (need everything), locations good for beginners(close to Edmonton), easy way to learn to start cast

As for equipment from quick browsing I think I would start with 5-6wt length I have no idea. What would be some affordable options/ brands to look for for a set up also a reel, I know pretty much squat about fly gear.

Thanks
I would highly recommend taking some casting lessons being that you are just starting out. Depending on which shop you go through, they can set you up with the required gear you will need. Where are you located. If you want to go about it on your own, go to someplace like wholesale sports or the fishing hole and get yourself a matched rod/reel combo in say a 6weight. No need to spend a pile of cash right now till you gain confidence in your casting and the overall feel of the whole process. As you get better and feel that this is something you want to stick with, then slowly upgrade to some better gear. Check out the Buy and Sell section here on the forum. There is usually some gear for sale that other members are looking to get rid of.

Last edited by Flyfisher87; 11-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM

I'm in St. Albert. Which shops would you suggest looking at?
I assume stay away from whole sale sports and cabelas?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Not sure of any fly fishing specialty shops in Edmonton area. I live within minutes of 3 in Calgary that would be able to get you fixed up. Hopefully someone that lives up there can give you a better idea. My apologies for not being of further assistance.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM

No worries, ill start looking around and into lessons available
Old 11-07-2012, 06:41 PM

You've got the fishin hole up here, as far as fly fishing goes. Meh.

Wholesale sports has better selection but, they are the same in regards to guys knowing what they're talking about. Meh.

You'd be best to spend a weekend in calgary at the hansons bootcamp.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
No problem with either WSS or the Fishin Hole. I have found both of them to be very helpful and knowledgable. You will hear a lot of bad about WSS but not the flyfishing section.

If you do a search on here, there were a lot of similar questions at the beginning of the summer - you will find a lot of answers there.

Cheers

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Cool ill start hunting thru the older threads
Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Depending on whether you go with a cheap combo starter or not is up to you. Even if you buy used through the forum here, I highly recommend a 4 piece rod. Fly fishing in Alberta has a world of options, but if like me, you take a liking to the tranquility and solitude of back country rivers and streams, a 4 piece rod is easily transportable, case will easily strap to a day or expedition pack.
Also, fly line is a huge decision as well, more experienced guys will likely buy into the $80-$100 line. Time and experience will tell what you prefer. That being said, whatever line you choose, I highly recommend a line with a welded loop on the end. Learning to fly fish is a challenge in itself, so avoiding having to tie a leader on with that ridiculous nail knot or whatever the hell it is called, will have you spending more time with your fly on the water.

As for the lessons, great idea, I should probably do the same! If you decide not to, then ignore what you see in the movies and travel adds. Whipping the fly line through the air 98% of the time. Starting out, a simple roll cast or wrist flick on a nice flowing stream will produce more results, give more practice on setting the hook, and build confidence, thus making the whole experience more enjoyable. If your fly is whipping through the air and getting tangled up for 98% of the time, then that fly isn't sitting on the water, and won't get any hits! I hope that helps.
Just my two cents.....

Al
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 PM

I originally started fly fishing with my dad when I was 9. I grew outbof it as teen but when I went to get back into it. I visited the fishing hole there is always someone t with advic and guidence on gear..

F you go to cabelas early in the morning when there isnt to many ppl there the guys who work in the fly shop are very helpful and informative.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks
How much fly fishing do you plan on doing? 1/week? 2/week? 1/month?
Where will you be spending most of your time fly fishing?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
You've got the fishin hole up here, as far as fly fishing goes. Meh.

Wholesale sports has better selection but, they are the same in regards to guys knowing what they're talking about. Meh.

You'd be best to spend a weekend in calgary at the hansons bootcamp.
Did you try the fly counter at TFH.

They know.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
How much fly fishing do you plan on doing? 1/week? 2/week? 1/month?
Where will you be spending most of your time fly fishing?
I'm hoping to get out a few times a month but who knows what my sched will be like, as for where I have no idea I would like to stick close to edm and find some good places to start out
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 AM

4 peice 5w Temple Fork rod. I've love mine. Great service and you can always replace peices of it for 40 bucks. Either ship or pick up in Calgary as they have a warehouse there. Also I would recomend getting a belly boat. Practice casting out on a lake with nothing behind you. Starting out on a river bank can be frustrating to say the least. Also you'll probably want to get a reel with a spare spool. One set up with floating line, one with sinking. I've caught a pile of fish dragging sinking line around a lake from a belly boat. Good luck and enjoy. I'll never go back to spin casting, unless of course I'm being outfished or just want to set up a pickerel rig on a trout pond.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM

northern lights fly tiers have lessons locally in june i think.there are many books for begines,the one that got me started was one from LL Bean ,i think.wait for the fishin holes boxing day sale or grand opening sale to buy your gear,probably a good idea to scout out the store before hand and pick,out what you need.as far as local ponds to try out ,lacomb park in st albert should be close enough for you.most beginers like cardiff or morinville.good luck.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM

There are enough vids on the net on casting,loading a reel,all about lines and all the knots,and all about flies. More than enough info to start, although theres quite a bit to process for sure. Im pretty much learning right now too. After lots of reading and asking specific questions about stuff i read,ill be ready for it next year. Starting to collect what i need this winter.
The ponds mentioned above all have lotsa room behind for casting and are close for you in St. Albert. Or you can practice in a large grass area(park) with a piece of wool on the end instead of a fly.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM

I've heard good things of the Cardiff ponds, ill prob check it out next season
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Did you try the fly counter at TFH.

They know.
Yeah i have, I guess my intent of the post was more to convey that compared to a shop that is actually dedicated to fly fishing, its not the best place to go.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Fishing wise, you should find a good grayling river with lots of room to cast. Berland, Wildhay, and Athabasca tribs are all good. Grayling are very forgiving fish that don't worry too much about fly selection, presentation, or even drift. When they are feeding they will hit anything that even partially resembles a bug. They are a good fish to start off with as they are rarely frustrating.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Cool. Ill defiantly have too learn more about the fish ill be going after
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Wesr, do yourself a favor and talk to Rob at Wholsale Sports, South Edmonton Common (yah I know the north WSS store is closer to St. Albert but you won't regret it). Without a doubt the most knowledgeable flyfisherman in Edmonton retail and a true flyfishing nut. He'll give you great tips on fishing spots all over Alberta.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM

Coming late to the thread, so sorry if i repeat any thing.

All 3 fishing stores in town are good resources, they wont give up secrets right away but spend some time with them and they will point you in the right direction. I found that first learning the " lingo" was an asset. Engish wash sytems, hopper dropper's and floating or sinking methods really help.
Fishing locations near St. Albert are....... Muir lake, dolberg, Mornville pond, cardiff pond and East pit lake. I started out fishing East pit lake B/C of the shore access and no trees to snag on...... trust me this is a energy suck if your unhooking all day. Muir lake has really good fishing close to you, tough to fish from shore...... I bought a boat to avoid fustrations... enough said!
The still waters are a great place to start as it eliminates flowing water, drag and reading water. the lakes are more forgiving and allow you to focus on casting foundamentals.
Pick up an " office caster" 4 foot rod with kids yarn, I practice in my back yard when I cant get out.
starting out fly fishing in expensive enough, grow a passion for it then spend the rest of your life perfecting it..... good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 AM

Default lot of info here

There has been lots of good information posted here. Edmonton has a few shops but all are set up for gear chuckers, and Calgary has a some good shops.

As for gear. I have never really seen the use in a 4 wt rod unless you have some extra cash you want to spend. All of my rods are 2 piece except for 1. Even backpacking and bush wacking I've never needed a 4 or 5 piece rod. But just one mans opinion. Everyone has their own reasons.

I would highly recommend you do not buy just any rod at the store. Most kits do not have any warranty on the rod, and if you break it you are out of luck. There are a many other manufacturers have lifetime warranties. This means that if one of the eyes, comes loose, or gets broken on some monster fish you can get a replacement.

As for a reel, there are a few schools of thought. Most people rarely need to use the reel to actually play the fish. So for many its really just line storage. This is especially true since most casts you will be making will be under 50 ft. However, if you do buy a separate reel get one that has changeable cartridges. This will save you money in the future if you want to get a sinking line, then you don't need to get another reel.

I would recommend a weight forward floating line for the rod you buy. A good all around rod is a 6wt. You can easily take pike on 6wt, and not destroy your arm....though an 8wt would be better for pike.

Since you are in Edmonton, I have done lots of pike fishing up in that area and farther north...Athabasca, Lac la Biche. Pike are really fun on the fly. Early season when they are agressive and taking top water flies its amazing. Putting a big mouse pattern on the water and seeing a pike snap at it is really fun...You would also need to use a steel tippet for pike.

I've always been a big fan of float tubes for fly fishing. They work great and you can put them in a car. Plus you can simply troll if you don't feel like casting or if the wind is messing with your casting. Float tubes open up lakes and allow you to fish pretty much everywhere.

As for casting lessons....meh. You probably don't "need" lessons. Download a few videos and really pay attention. One big tip is to wear sunglasses and when you are casting watch your line and rod. Don't focus on where your fly lands. Also when you first go out, use a fly and cut off the hook. Then practice, because you don't want to hook yourself.

Enjoy the experience. You'll never forget your first fish on the fly.
Cheers
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 oz Bucktail View Post
Fishing wise, you should find a good grayling river with lots of room to cast. Berland, Wildhay, and Athabasca tribs are all good. Grayling are very forgiving fish that don't worry too much about fly selection, presentation, or even drift. When they are feeding they will hit anything that even partially resembles a bug. They are a good fish to start off with as they are rarely frustrating.
They are alot like teenagers. Eat anything not moving fast enough.

I grew up flipping wet flies to perch. Great practice and not hard to catch. Never know when you will get a surprise, and lose your fly to a pike.

Biggest thing is getting out and trying it. Going for easy fish makes it so much better. We all know that skunked feeling. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 AM

I learnt last year (2011) on a 2pc 4wt TFO. Pretty stiff rod, and I can tell you when I switched to the orvis I bought, was night and day. Still think it was a good rod to begin with... I really enjoy fishing small creeks with it!

Buy about 100 flies off icky (affordable, you'll lose a lot) I'm sure some guys here could give input on a good beginner selection. Surprisingly enough, I still have a few of my 'originals'.

Good luck, get addicted, and than you'll want to start tying your flies... My fiance hates it..
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM

Edmonton doesn't have a dedicated fly shop so you have to do with the best we have. I prefer the fishin' hole, the north preferably but it has now closed and merged with the WEM store at a new location between 170st & 178st on Stony Plain Rd at the old Nevada Bob's location. Brian Wiebe is one of the Managers there and he is a true fly guy with excellent knowledge on the local fisheries around Edmonton. I send all my clients to him after their casting lessons and clinics to pick up flies, rods, reels, lines, boots, waders, etc. He really knows his stuff.

Some things to consider about equipment:

Yes the reel only stores line but that doesn't mean get the cheapest reel you see. Reels will break down especially cheap junk. And consider where you'll be using it. If it's going from the trunk of your car to a boat, a die cast aluminum will do you well but if your planning on fishing in harsher environments where there's a good chance of tripping, you'll want to look at a machined reel as it can take more punishment.

A weight forward line will help you cast farther but the forward taper is 30ft long. If you're not yet casting farther than 30ft it makes no differences in your casting and a double taper line can be turned around giving you twice the usage meaning it will last twice as long. The line is the single most important tool you'll purchase.

The entry level graphite rods of today use the same materials the high end manufactures were using 10 yrs ago and selling for $600. There are some really decent entry level rods out there but stick with names that are familiar in the industry. Canadian Tire and Walmart don't carry quality fly rods for the most part, they're all about the cheapest price. Talk with someone that knows his stuff at a tackle shop. Crystal River and Martin are two that I would try and stay away from. Amundson, TFO & Cabelas make some good entry level rods. I've heard (but have yet to confirm) that Superfly - known for their tying materials - is now producing a decent entry level rod but I have yet to cast one.

As far as casting, a one hour lessons can make all the difference in the world. In an hour you may or may not be able to cast well but you will know what you should be doing and can spend the rest of your life trying to master it.

For local trout lakes close to Edmonton, check out my information site here:
Edmonton's Local Trout Lakes

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc

Last edited by Doc; 11-16-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 AM

I have had many people recommend WF for me,a new guy. Not one mentioned the DT lines. However i came across a article just recently(cant remember where. Internet somewhere)that says exactly what Doc just mentioned above. They had a formula to explain why DT lines still work best for new or old alike.

Unfortunately i guess a guy has to cough up the bucks to buy both lines to really find out what works best for them,which can get expensive real quick.

Whats everybody using on here?

Last edited by cranky; 11-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 AM

dave, if you're just fishing small streams with dries, i'd recommend the double taper. If you want a versatile tool for fishing those river + north sask and lakes, you'll want the WF. Once your casting gets good enough, you'll notice with a double taper, you can lay the line down so much more softly.

In my mind, if you're using a double taper line, it will be good for learning, and fishing those delicate streams... but other then that, a WF is what's going to serve you the best. Just dont buy a cheap line. The line is critical in casting success.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
dave, if you're just fishing small streams with dries, i'd recommend the double taper. If you want a versatile tool for fishing those river + north sask and lakes, you'll want the WF. Once your casting gets good enough, you'll notice with a double taper, you can lay the line down so much more softly.

In my mind, if you're using a double taper line, it will be good for learning, and fishing those delicate streams... but other then that, a WF is what's going to serve you the best. Just dont buy a cheap line. The line is critical in casting success.
Im thinking i should use one spool with DT line and the other spool with WF. Good way to learn both.

Not trying to hi-jack thread here,it is about newbs such as my self and op. when it comes to fly fishing.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Banned

Yeah, you won't be doing much in the way of flyfishing for a while yet

You're getting all kinds of good advice here.

I'm in Edmonton, find me in the spring when the water opens up and i'll go out with you, show you the basics. Even dress you up and throw you in my tube.