Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2024, 01:20 PM

Default Red seal ticket, new title.

So one of our apprentices has completed his 4 year apprenticeship and finally got his certificates in the mail.
He was quite disappointed as the new diploma looks like a 4 year drew it up and had it photocopied at Michaels.
Also no more certificate saying completion was done in Grand prairie, not that that's important to him but it looks good on the wall next to his cert.
Then there is the new red seal card, it looks just like your boating licence. LOL.
The big kicker is that he worked 4 years to have his certs all say you now have the privilege to use the title JOURNEY PERSON. Lol.
So needless to say, he is out first journey person at our shop. Poor kid.
We congratulated him for his accomplishments and follow through, but nothing could fix the disappointment in his face. He doesn't want to put his ticket on the wall next to ours because it looks so different.
Anyway, just a heads up. We'll be getting journey people now.

Tullfan
Old 05-11-2024, 01:36 PM

sigh..... I feel bad for the dude.

Our office wants us to put our pronouns on our email signatures and business cards. In no uncertain terms I told the folks involved in this initiative to not touch my signatures.

So tired of this stuff. Leave things well enough alone IMO.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:44 PM

So what’s the big deal?

You have zero control over what the gubberment does with certificates, so why get all riled up.

The pronoun game in online signatures I refuse to do as well.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-11-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
So what’s the big deal?

You have zero control over what the gubberment does with certificates, so why get all riled up.

The pronoun game in online signatures I refuse to do as well.
I'd say the big deal is the kid (a male) doesn't want his identity to be a non binary post national "person"

Journeyman is likely what he wants cause hes a man.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
I'd say the big deal is the kid (a male) doesn't want his identity to be a non binary post national "person"

Exactly. When tradesman male or female have been called journeyman forever it is just stupid to change it for a very very small portion of the population.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:53 PM

I’d be more ****ed about the quality of the paper. I got my mine over 10 years ago and it was a nice thick paper with that red seal embossed on it. It looked official and worthy of being in a frame. Years later I got my Blue Seal. Worked hard to get it and many many hours. The certificate it came with looked like it was printed at my house. Just a peice of paper with a printed Blue Seal.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:14 PM

Not sure what I did with my red seal certificate , have the Laminated card but what I was mostly interested in was the journeyman /people kind person of interest etc pay rate I was interested in.

Mind you nobody in the shop I worked in was worried about it either besides the one who signed my paycheque
Old 05-11-2024, 08:20 PM

I think it’s a bit of everything. Tradition, what he thought he was working for to pin to his wall, and as a young man, a title and some ‘cred’ as the kids say.
At the end of the day, he is qualified and finished and will be on his way to being a well trained and very competent journeyman.
He was more disappointed that the title changed from what it was say when he started 4 years ago.
He’ll get over it. But not without some choice words. Lol

Tullfan
Old 05-11-2024, 08:31 PM

"journeyperson" isnt in the dictionary lol , mine is old and says journeyman , but its in a drawer somewhere
Old 05-11-2024, 08:43 PM

If I get an email at work and the person signs their name with the pronoun garbage the work relationship is done and I no longer do business with that person and their company. Things won’t change until there are consequences.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
"journeyperson" isnt in the dictionary lol , mine is old and says journeyman , but its in a drawer somewhere
White it out on the certificate and correct it.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-11-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post

It's so ingrained now that it effects (y)our ability to have a counter argument......when using words like non-binary.

Words that end in man (a suffix) are not defined as words that are interpreted to be a word centered on a male gender. Mankind is gender neutral, journeyman is gender neutral, fireman is gender neutral, policeman is gender neutral, postman is gender neutral. But that isn't good enough for the crowd that supports that there are endless genders. Usually the same people that say follow the science. I laugh at the absurdity.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:43 PM

I refuse to put my preferred pronouns on my Zoom call or email signature.

Sometimes I am tempted to put "Your majesty" or "Sir" or something similar on there, just to see if anyone challenges me.......SO FAR, I have resisted the temptation.......
Old 05-11-2024, 09:43 PM

This is what you’re going to be offended about today? Journey PERSON is what it should say. Mine says journeyman, is what it is. I can honestly say after 25 years in the trades I’ve had more female apprentices stand out and shine than “men”. Perhaps it’s because they feel the need to “break stereotypes” and stand out?

If he’s embarrassed because his ticket looks different than the others on the wall, maybe remind him that his is the most valuable out of any of them, because it’s the newest and holds the most potential.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
This is what you’re going to be offended about today? Journey PERSON is what it should say. Mine says journeyman, is what it is. I can honestly say after 25 years in the trades I’ve had more female apprentices stand out and shine than “men”. Perhaps it’s because they feel the need to “break stereotypes” and stand out?

If he’s embarrassed because his ticket looks different than the others on the wall, maybe remind him that his is the most valuable out of any of them, because it’s the newest and holds the most potential.
What's wrong with journeyman? Journeyman is already gender neutral...if you subscribe to the science that there are but two genders. Journey person is just arguing a point that isn't even valid. A woman can be a journeyman can be a woman but it doesn't sound like your getting it The man at the end of journey is just a suffix that denotes a person not a gender. But of course historical revisionism is at play, changing the meaning of words to suit agendas. Should the word "woman" be removed from dictionaries or disdained as some form patriarchal domination?

Rex could explain this better than any of us.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:37 PM

It’s a peice of paper. Who cares. Now go to work.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:14 AM

Couldn't even tell you where my certificate went. Likely tossed it the day after I got it. The card is all that matters.
Congrats to him.