Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Default "thats not hunting"

So what IS hunting then?

I was just looking at a thread about proposed "helicopter hunting" in New Zealand and one fellow says "Thats not hunting!"
In our thread about baiting deer I believe someone has said "thats not hunting"

When we get into a discussion about "long range shooting" or "hunting deer with hounds" or "road hunting", surely someone will come up with a "thats not hunting" comment.

We know there is a Definition of hunting in the wildlife act and regulations. However different people seem to have their own definition so they can say "thats not hunting" but they rarely define it so we know what they mean by "hunting".

Usually it seems they are really saying "I don't think that method is fair or sporting" or "that method is too easy and should not be allowed as hunting must be difficult to count for something"

So what do you mean when you say "thats not hunting!!"?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
sheephunter

Don't forget long range shooting, the use of camo, the use of range finders, the use of modern muzzleloaders, the use of crossbows, the use of compound bows, food plots, outfitted hunts...well you get the point. Put enough AO members in a room for enough time and I'm pretty sure they would outlaw every type of hunting.

We are our own worst enemy.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Don't forget long range shooting, the use of camo, the use of range finders, the use of modern muzzleloaders, the use of crossbows, the use of compound bows, food plots, outfitted hunts...well you get the point. Put enough AO members in a room for enough time and I'm pretty sure they would outlaw every type of hunting.

We are our own worst enemy.
x2 everyone is entitled to their opinion, i come from NS where baiting is legal, but that doesnt mean i think baiting in Alberta is a good idea! I am totally oppsed to it!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Non-trophy sheep.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM

I'm getting the popcorn ready!

There are no absolutes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I'm getting the popcorn ready!
What does that mean?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
What does that mean?
Your attempt at coyness, Robin, is about as lame as your attempt at inciting a great big heated discussion on a subject mired in potential conflict.

Almost like a soap opera in the making.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
So what IS hunting then?

Usually it seems they are really saying "I don't think that method is fair or sporting"
I think that when people say "Thats not hunting"they are refering to your sentence quoted above.Would being in a high fenced farm chaseing 200" deer be considered hunting?? Or is it just killing? Tough question.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Nationwide

Smile "thats not hunting!!

So what do you mean when you say "thats not hunting!!"?[/QUOTE]OK lets see rolling down a dirt road 30 min etc .before legal hunting time with the window rolled down and gun loaded and ready while entering a field ready to shoot the first thing "Thats not hunting "

doing a drive by shooting a animal leaveing it and then going back for it later on land you have no right to be on "Thats not hunting ".

Drinking while hunting Thats Not hunting .

Driveing with a gun loaded and a big spotlight on checking out fields in the cover of darkness Thats not hunting .

Shooting a animal with a gun in a bow only zone Thats not hunting .

Oh i could go on but have to stop for now duffy i hope this helps .
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Deffinition of acceptable hunting: "The pursuite of wild game, that has been given steroids, and enraged, to the point that it is considered very dangerous to the pursuer. After the enraged animal has been given a meal, manicure, and massage, and after horns and hoofs have been dipped in poison, as well as armor put on the animal, the pursuer is allowed to begin the hunt. WARNING, the pursuer must wear nothing, and may only have a short stabbing spear. The spear shaft cannot be sturdy, and only spear heads made by Mattel, Pampers, or Green Giant Vegetable companies are authorized. Hunter must also have two angry gophers tied to his/her feet to impede walking. Now the hunter may begin the pursuit, with a semi transparent blindfolld. Please complete this form, and check the "I Agree" box if you wish to continue into the RED TAPE room to complete acquiring your hunting licence. Enjoy this fine sport."
I'd like butter on my popcorn Dick
Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 PM

I think the best point to be made out of this whole thread is this "if hunting is done legally, we should all be supporting it .period" it doesn't matter whether its bow or gun, baiting bears or not, spot and stalk or tree stand,....hunting is hunting ! if it's legal to do , and done legally then everyone of us that is a hunter in this province should be supporting it ! There are always peoples preferences, put them aside, stand united and fight the fight 200,000 hunters strong !!!! Don't let our petty differences divide us , or we will be taken down !

OK , thats my two cents , rant over !
Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 PM

ok i am now done with this thread, it is gonna turn into a big fight! why cant we all be sportsman and agree to agree against the antis?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Your attempt at coyness, Robin, is about as lame as your attempt at inciting a great big heated discussion on a subject mired in potential conflict.

Almost like a soap opera in the making.
I believe you are wrong Dick.

And I believe you did not attempt to answer my question.

Here is what I think you mean by "I'm getting the popcorn ready"

You think that I have asked a question that will lead to a big fight and you are getting ready to sit back and enjoy it. Is that it? (just like kids on a playground like to come and watch a fight?)

I know that sometimes people look between the lines and see all sorts of things that are not there (inciting a great big heated discussion on a subject mired in potential conflict)

And I know that some people do not read or do not understand the point of an initial post and go off on a tangent.

But I believe I have asked a reasonable question and I was hoping for some reasonable answers.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
I think the best point to be made out of this whole thread is this "if hunting is done legally, we should all be supporting it .period" it doesn't matter whether its bow or gun, baiting bears or not, spot and stalk or tree stand,....hunting is hunting ! if it's legal to do , and done legally then everyone of us that is a hunter in this province should be supporting it ! There are always peoples preferences, put them aside, stand united and fight the fight 200,000 hunters strong !!!! Don't let our petty differences divide us , or we will be taken down !

OK , thats my two cents , rant over !
Yup that about raps it up..

Its hunting if its done legaly plane and simple..
Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Ice fishing is a pretty good way to smoke the cabin fever that is coursing through you non fisher-folks veins. If you start to take er serious enough, fishin can even keep ya trophy huntin year round!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Oh man, this is a good thread..... sorta...

Well IMHO, i think hunting has to do with where in the world you are located.

In the southern states, they can hunt coyotes at night with a light, well in that area, "thats hunting", but here in alberta, "thats not hunting". Try to tell that to a sportsman from the deep south.

To an easterner, and by that i mean MARITIMER, shooting deer in the bush, at 50 yards with a .223 or 22-250 is "ethical", but here in alberta many will disagree and say "you'll just wound a deer with that small of a caliber". So theres a difference of opinion on ethics. But wheres the logic of shooting a deer at point blank range with a smaller caliber being a "no-no", but if you THINK you can hit one at 450 yds with your cannon, then its perfectly alright to go ahead and try.

Now on baiting, in different parts of the country, hunters buy apples and grain by the truckload, seriously, a bin of apples use to be $50 for "drops" back where i come from, and is perfectly legal to use them for deer. But some seem to like to slam others on baiting deer, but baiting for bear is perfectly fine. "Its wrong to grow FOOD PLOTS for deer, but TIM HORTONS supplies me with alll the day old doghnuts i need for my bear bait". Im still trying to figure the logic on that one.

So I think its totally on where your from and your way of thinking. IMO dont knock it till you try it, and if your ready to slam someone for what they do or how they do it, (as long as its legal for that area) then dont be surprised if your hunting style is put under the microscope and shreaded as well.

Happy hunting, how ever you do it.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 PM

In different jurisdictions rules are very similar when it comes to safety concerns such as unloading firearms in vehicles. Where differences start is when regional attitudes affect what’s viewed as “ethical”.

I started in AB but I’ve lived in several provinces and have legally hunted deer with my 22-250 in MB and legally baited deer in SK. I always follow local regulations.

The problem is that hunters & fishermen often succumb to comparing not only stories but just how ethical they are compared to the next guy. This pugnacious trap leads to wildlife management making a litigious maze of over-regulation and results in cracks for the Antis to exploit.

It’s almost as if some hunters are trying to prove their version of hunting is more sanitary and palatable while traitorously throwing others into the same heap as poachers.

I say let’s all get back to basics, hold firm to wildlife bag limits, sound safety regulations and give people freedom & choice on how they hunt.

Hunters who do things differently but legally in other jurisdiction I always defend and ask the cardinal question “why can’t I legally do that here?”
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Oh, one last thing, AB should allow baiting and SK should let me use my 22-250 so there. Said it, just had to.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightroad View Post
Oh, one last thing, AB should allow baiting and SK should let me use my 22-250 so there. Said it, just had to.
I dont think Alberta should allow baiting. I live and hunt in Sask and I do bait some locations(not all) and I wish they would outlaw it. It sucks for one big reason, just go quad around the forest and litteraly every half to quarter mile there is another bait pile. You have residents and outfitters who basically think they own the forest cause of it and things get childish really fast. Name signs are never taken down and its sort of like laying claim to a certain area. Its alot of the reson that the northern forest is shot out so bad.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightroad View Post
Buy a real big game gun!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I believe you are wrong Dick.

And I believe you did not attempt to answer my question.

Here is what I think you mean by "I'm getting the popcorn ready"

You think that I have asked a question that will lead to a big fight and you are getting ready to sit back and enjoy it. Is that it? (just like kids on a playground like to come and watch a fight?)

I know that sometimes people look between the lines and see all sorts of things that are not there (inciting a great big heated discussion on a subject mired in potential conflict)

And I know that some people do not read or do not understand the point of an initial post and go off on a tangent.

But I believe I have asked a reasonable question and I was hoping for some reasonable answers.
This thread will go into the relm of divided and heated debate, and result in likely getting locked by the mod's, I will not provide my opinion in such cases, having seen it all before, as I'm sure you have to Robin.

As others have already pointed out, lets fight the anti's not ourselves.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 AM

If it is legal, then it is hunting.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
This thread will go into the relm of divided and heated debate, and result in likely getting locked by the mod's,.
What's with all the fuss about a big explosive debate and arguments Dick? Take a look back at the posts above. Everyone's pretty much in agreement that apart from actually breaking the law, what constitutes "hunting" is pretty much a personal choice, usually based on where you have grown up or learned to hunt. About the only edginess I've seen is you and Duffy arguing over what "I'm getting the popcorn ready" implies, and I take it that you two must have some previous history to get riled over that little comment.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 AM

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
No point in discussing any further.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Banned

"We are our own worst enemy" I finally agreed with something you said Sheephunter. In all of the 49 years that that I have hunted and spoke to fellow hunters, this is the worst I have seen mistreatment of each other. This electronic technology has made us into enemies. Miskosky created this monster and sure that he will not abolish it. There is money to be made, but at the expense of how the hunting society treats each other. Good job Miskosky, I hope you really enjoy spending your dirty money at the expense of making hunters into what they are on this forum and in the hunting world. This is the root of the problem!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 AM

Hey, how 'bout them Oilers?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fish View Post
Buy a real big game gun!
I have a Rem 700P chambered in .338 Lapua. Is that gun enough? Bought it from Wolverine almost 2 years ago but usually hunt with my .308.

I just like 22-250. It worked well on deer in MB, everyone has their all time favorites.

Cheers amigo!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Yes and no, laws are a reflection of local tradition so to a certain extent it's true. But more a reflection of what it takes to get the job done without putting unsustainable pressure on the local wildlife.

For me dog hunting biggame was my "that's not hunting" until that drive one winter along the forestry trunk raod. I ran into a dog wandering the road , the country were it was steep and deep. I instantly got a respect for that type of hunting. Sure that last moment when you shoot a cat in a tree does not look like hunting, but getting to that point is the hunt, the chase and time and effort getting a string of dogs.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fish View Post
I dont think Alberta should allow baiting. I live and hunt in Sask and I do bait some locations(not all) and I wish they would outlaw it. It sucks for one big reason, just go quad around the forest and litteraly every half to quarter mile there is another bait pile. You have residents and outfitters who basically think they own the forest cause of it and things get childish really fast. Name signs are never taken down and its sort of like laying claim to a certain area. Its alot of the reson that the northern forest is shot out so bad.
It's not that bad everywhere, I hunt mostly Area 59 near Carrot River & Arborfield and find that since it's open Oct 1st for rifle, going for deer when everyone else is hunting moose & elk means that road warriors on their quads are at a minimum.

I have to agree with you later in the season when non-resident starts. It's better to be on private land.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Hey right road whats with the blue pen all the time?