Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 AM

Derby cancelled for 2014

http://www.brooksbulletin.com/defaul...contentid=2340
Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
if you hadnt noticed so did Newell, and next year you wont be able to keep any at all. who said my big fish are from Clear? havent bothered with it for a couple years
made a mistake Newell is one over 63 not one over 100 this season. . and I think the reason no pike were caught during last years derby was due to the lack of bait being allowed, not due to no pike in the lake.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 AM

I missed last years derby. With the bait ban in place, was it that nobody caught even a single pike, or that nobody caught a pike over 36 inches, which in previous derbies was the minimum length to bring a fish to the weigh station?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 AM

I think the pike numbers are declining in Newel,just aren't seeing a many on the camera and catching even less...there have been some valid points raised so far its one single force its a combination of several I think ..but today's social media plays a HUGE part. I am guilty of posting my big fish on FACEBOOK and that gets around... The surrounding lakes are going to suffer the same fate,Last year a group of guys I know would go to some of these smaller lakes nearby and catch and keep the limit of every licence holder every day they went. Why i asked...cause we can they said. We as outdoorsmen need to help play a bigger roll in some conservation as as much as it sucks on the zero limit of pike for Newell next year I think it's needed. So now I'm trying to learn how to catch those picky Lake whites I see swimming on by lol
So if your out on Newell and see the black and gold CamperShack feel free to stop in and I'll pour you a drink...
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Good, too many pike, especially large ones, die during the derby.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Fishing Keho last week we caught 5 over 30". We also caught 4 more over 26". This is a southern alberta lake that seems quite healthy.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM

Heading to Keho...LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Me too!! Just called some friends...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Bulletin just in...Newell Fishing Derby moved to Keho lake!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM

heard on the radio today the derby is off. made it out on Jackfish this morning to retrieve my tent, wouldnt advise travelling on there this weekend without tracks, the snows even deeper now with lots of floodwater.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryman View Post
Fishing Keho last week we caught 5 over 30". We also caught 4 more over 26". This is a southern alberta lake that seems quite healthy.
Thanks was just wondering where to fish this weekend.

I'll get a hold of several buddies and away we go. then if I cannot go next time at least they can get some more of their buddies to go and on and on and on

GET IT
Old 01-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Personally I doubt crayfish have much to do with the decline and fall of the pike empire in Newell, they are a source of food for pike. Only fished it once so far this season, only got 9 pike so it looks like the population is well on its way to extinction. Maybe they managed to slip through the bio's nets, they were all pretty small. maybe the big ones were elsewhere when the test netting was done, its a pretty big lake and the nets arent that big. If they are in danger there I would like to see a trophy license, say pay 20 bucks for a tag to keep one over 35 pounds or even bigger, so when the record gets broken the lucky fisherperson can keep the fish if they are so inclined.
Just to let you know according to the "Fall Walleye Index Netting Manual of Instructions" Given Lake Newell is over 6 thousand hectares they would have to use 36 nets each 61 meters long with mesh size ranging from 25 mm to 152 mm. That's 2.2 km of nets set at various depths, and 25 mm mesh should get even the small ones.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Maybe so, but it's ridiculous to compare Clear Lake to reservoirs such as Newell, Travers, McGregor, Keho, etc based on the size of said reservoirs compared to the size of Clear. I would venture a guess that only 5-10% of the reservoirs mentioned are fished during the year, so mentioning them on a forum such as this isn't going to deplete them like it did Clear.
Sorry to burst your bubble but Travers will be going to 0 limit on walleye next year. This after more than 40 years of quality fishing.

Oh sorry, what used to be quality fishing. So it seems it is not just Clear, Traverse and also next season Newell one of the largest if not the largest res. in the entire irrigation districts.

How long do you think Badger and Keho are going to hold out. Think about it.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Cannot specifically report on the whole lake, but stayed with a family friend Friday and Saturday night that have a cabin on the east side of Newell.
Has a great shack on Riddleback and set up Friday morning, saw a walleye, some little perch and couple of nice pike but were not intersted in anything we had to offer...BBQ'd some ribs, smokies...had a feast..LOL. Some of his buddies showed up and the Tequila made its appearance..LOL..Still no fish on the cam....Came out around 930am on Saturday....Saw 2 pike on the cam and they were again not interested....Thought I would see alot more fish on the cam in 2 days of fishing

Personally I think it has a lot to do with the mono species management philosophies in this province.