Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 AM

Nice fish!!! That's all I have to say.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 AM

I think the issue here is not that Mario kept his limit, which he has every right to do under the current regulations (assuming he is not over his overall possession limit). The bigger issue for me is the keeping of the largest fish.

I don't think anyone would be criticizing him if it was 5 small or average sized fish that he kept. The issue, at least for me, is that he kept 5 and one of them was a real bruiser. Why does that bug me (and apparently quite a few other people?) Well, it's a pros and cons issue really and when it really comes down to it, you have to ask yourself, "Why do I need to take home the biggest fish I catch?" The quick answer is, "You don't." But let's do a pros and cons anyway and you can be the judge:

Pros to keeping the biggest fish:

- You get to brag to your friends and online peers and feel important (although a good pic does the same thing)
- You get more meat (although when you keep 5 average sized fish, how much meat do you really need? And how much will go to waste?)
- Perhaps it was hooked too deeply because you were having lunch while it was eating your powerbait so you couldn't throw it back? Fine. Sometimes that happens. Valid reason.

Cons to keeping the biggest fish:

- when it comes to stocked trout, usually the biggest taste the worst, especially in the spring when they are trying to spawn. So why would you keep it?
- if everyone kept the largest fish they caught, there would be very few large fish left to catch. Oh wait, too late!
- big fish are too valuable to catch just once. Why not throw it back for some other person to catch as well?
- stocked ponds are not a grocery store. Just because the limit says 5 of any size, does not mean you have to keep 5 of any size.
- If you want to get it mounted, a few quick photos and a couple measurements will do the trick. You don't need the dead fish for that.
- by releasing the big fish, you are improving the fishery for others to enjoy, making S.R.D.'s life easier by allowing more fish to grow larger, and showing a respect for other fishermen that come after you do.
- for me, I respect the largest fish too much to keep them. It's like shooting a unicorn. It's just not in me.
- the argument, "If I didn't keep him, someone else would have," does not hold water, because I wouldn't have, and a lot of other people wouldn't have.
- if enough people practice C&R on the bigger fish, the fishing in Alberta would be actually be something to write home about.

And don't get me wrong, I have a lot of room in my tiny brain for straight put-and-take fisheries, but after weighing the pros and cons, I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why someone would keep the largest fish? Either they don't know any better (which is understandable) or they choose to disrespect both the fishery and their fellow fishermen that enjoy it (which is not understandable ...or tolerable).

So Mario, by all means, keep some fish, but maybe next time think about not keeping as many and if you are lucky enough to catch a big one, think about returning it for others to enjoy as well.

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
I think the issue here is not that Mario kept his limit, which he has every right to do under the current regulations (assuming he is not over his overall possession limit). The bigger issue for me is the keeping of the largest fish.

I don't think anyone would be criticizing him if it was 5 small or average sized fish that he kept. The issue, at least for me, is that he kept 5 and one of them was a real bruiser. Why does that bug me (and apparently quite a few other people?) Well, it's a pros and cons issue really and when it really comes down to it, you have to ask yourself, "Why do I need to take home the biggest fish I catch?" The quick answer is, "You don't." But let's do a pros and cons anyway and you can be the judge:

Pros to keeping the biggest fish:

- You get to brag to your friends and online peers and feel important (although a good pic does the same thing)
- You get more meat (although when you keep 5 average sized fish, how much meat do you really need? And how much will go to waste?)
- Perhaps it was hooked too deeply because you were having lunch while it was eating your powerbait so you couldn't throw it back? Fine. Sometimes that happens. Valid reason.

Cons to keeping the biggest fish:

- when it comes to stocked trout, usually the biggest taste the worst, especially in the spring when they are trying to spawn. So why would you keep it?
- if everyone kept the largest fish they caught, there would be very few large fish left to catch. Oh wait, too late!
- big fish are too valuable to catch just once. Why not throw it back for some other person to catch as well?
- stocked ponds are not a grocery store. Just because the limit says 5 of any size, does not mean you have to keep 5 of any size.
- If you want to get it mounted, a few quick photos and a couple measurements will do the trick. You don't need the dead fish for that.
- by releasing the big fish, you are improving the fishery for others to enjoy, making S.R.D.'s life easier by allowing more fish to grow larger, and showing a respect for other fishermen that come after you do.
- for me, I respect the largest fish too much to keep them. It's like shooting a unicorn. It's just not in me.
- the argument, "If I didn't keep him, someone else would have," does not hold water, because I wouldn't have, and a lot of other people wouldn't have.
- if enough people practice C&R on the bigger fish, the fishing in Alberta would be actually be something to write home about.

And don't get me wrong, I have a lot of room in my tiny brain for straight put-and-take fisheries, but after weighing the pros and cons, I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why someone would keep the largest fish? Either they don't know any better (which is understandable) or they choose to disrespect both the fishery and their fellow fishermen that enjoy it (which is not understandable ...or tolerable).

So Mario, by all means, keep some fish, but maybe next time think about not keeping as many and if you are lucky enough to catch a big one, think about returning it for others to enjoy as well.

Cheers.
interesting read .... but how should he cook them?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Fried with a beer batter!!

And don't feel bad about eating the big one because now that that big pig is gone there will be a lot more food left in the lake to produce a few more trophies!!

Bigtoad you forgot the most important pro.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:12 PM

And thats why I will never post a picture of any fish I have caught on here. To just sit here and watch other people get railed because they decided to keep fish is hilarious when they have done nothing wrong and screw his origional post. Way to go
Great fish congatulations. We take ours and put in tinfoil fresh diced garlic. onion powder, salt and pepper. olive oil, and mix all together and put in the cavity wrap up tight and roast. Served on a bed of wild rice.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
interesting read .... but how should he cook them?
Oh yeah. For the big ones, put it on a cedar plank and bbq till done. Then throw the trout to the dog and eat the cedar plank.

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=wolfman403;1405619]And thats why I will never post a picture of any fish I have caught on here. To just sit here and watch other people get railed because they decided to keep fish is hilarious when they have done nothing wrong and screw his origional post. Way to go
/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to flame the guy for what he did. I wasn't there, I don't know the circumstances. But I do have an opinion on keeping large fish and think the reasons behind generally not keeping larger fish has a lot of merit. The more people who share that same opinion the better the fishery in Alberta will be, not just for pothole trout but overall.

Cheers.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Oh yeah. For the big ones, put it on a cedar plank and bbq till done. Then throw the trout to the dog and eat the cedar plank.

Cheers.
I decide use this recipe so went ice fishing today april 12 2014
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRout12042014 001.jpg (24.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg TRout12042014 002.jpg (37.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg TRout12042014 004.jpg (28.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg TRout12042014 005.jpg (26.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg TRout12042014 006.jpg (46.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg TRout12042014 007.jpg (27.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 PM

nice bows Mario, how long was your biggest of the day?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafhone View Post
nice bows Mario, how long was your biggest of the day?
LONGESt was 21 inch but i lost couple nice one GOOD LUCK on open water derby
Attached Images
File Type: gif fish11.gif (2.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:35 PM

nice fish mario! sounds like you might have lost a 5lber...or better... geez...

good luck to you as well in the derby, i look forward to the competition!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Nice Bows! ya i like Cedar Planking Stocker Bows if i eat them, some Maple Syrop and Maple Spice!, smoker pack, tastes awesome! i do Lakers the same way. I cant believe some of the old comments trashing you for keeping Stocked Bows... brutal..
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 AM

Thumbs up

Way to go Mario! Anyone bashing you obviously doesn't follow your threads to close because I see you fishing with friends and family quite often. cheers!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 PM

WOW! How do you know what is the biggest fish of the day until the end of the days fishing?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Great fish congrats should be a heck of a meal!