Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Grayling around Edson

Has anyone on here fished for Grayling around Edson? Heading there this weekend and wife would love to catch some. Found lots of Walleye last time in the Mcloed river but she wants Grayling. Any help would be appreciated.

Alex Kreis
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Embarrass River. follows hwy 47 SW of edson, also when you cross the Mcleod on hwy 47, you can see the where it dumps into McLeod if you look left as you head south
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Ok so I have never fished for Grayling before. What do you catch them on?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Ok so I have never fished for Grayling before. What do you catch them on?
This time of year I would run a Black Knat and split shot and a small slip bobber or if you fly fish the Knat or a nymph matching the hatch is great on the surface. If you ever get south of GP the Bull and Cutbank have always been good to me when it comes to Grayling.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 PM

i find they will hit any dry fly...buddie of mine was getting them with small spoons in the berland last year...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 PM

Don't waste your time with the embrass river the fish are to small.......head down the bear lake road towards peers until you hit trout creek and the ferry goes across the mcloed river.....fish upstream of the ferry were there is a spilt in the river and you will catch whites and nice grayling............bounce a bottom bouncer rig with three flys on it with a maggot and you will catch fish.......i use my fly rod and do good here........there is other spots on the mcloed that produce good......i have read so many posts on the embrass with people heading there, sure you catch grayling....small ones.......i knda like the bigger grayling and the mcloed itself produce alot bigger grayling you just have to know where to go.............if you want rainbows you have to fish the mcloed above marborro whci is 10 miles west of edson and there is a few bulls there to............i am not giving you exact spots except the one, what i am telling is do some exploring and get a map and you will figure it out....i live in whitecourt and for me to get to the ferry is only 45 minutes verse the embrass which is 1 1/2 hours so i save the gas and get bigger fish
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Thanks guys

Thanks to all for the tips on locations for Grayling.

Fishman, would a guy need waders in the spot you suggested and how is the truck access.

Alex Kreis
Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM

Waders would help for sure if u r fly fishing if u r spin fishing you can cast farther and won't need them, you need to do some walking probably 1/4 mile but worth it.....not sure if u can park in the gravel pit before the ferry if u can make for a shorter walk
Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Well, fishman beat me to it

I was going to mention the McLeod as well. I have only fished it South of Edson. Where the Sundance Creek enters the McLeod there is a good bend there that has some good depth to it. Dry fly and nymphing techniques will both produce. I have never tried spin casting there. Waders are helpful.

We followed the Sundance Creek all the way down. Not an easy hike. There is a shorter way near the plant/factory there (not sure what type of plant it is because I didn't go that way).

Fishman's sounds like the easier go but thought I would add this in just in case. At least it is close to Edson. Takes some effort getting in though.

Cheers!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:14 PM

Default Edson

Is the edson area still producing decent grayling these days? I am in edson tonight and going to try a couple spots! If anyone would share a general creek or river to dry I'm gonna try to get some dry fly action before the season ends