Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Personal experience - you won't get any if you are there in the morning, even if there are already hundreds landed on shore and hundreds in tubs. They need to be counted first.

Even if you offer to take some out of the "counted already" tub, I think the rule is to wait until sometime later that day.

If you have other committments (such as kids birthdays with your family) in the afternoon, thats too bad!

So my recommendation: if you have the time to help - super!
If you don't have the time to help and just stop by with your toddler to show him how a perch looks like and can't stick around....

Don't get me wrong, I am all for helping and against going to events for the sole purpose to get freebies - but the way it was advertised in this post was basically "come and get some or they will be landfilled or become fertilizer' - that is not exactly how it panned out for us!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

Here is a picture of lake Sundance.
Its not really a trout pond. Think XL sized Trout pond

http://www.panoramio.com//photo/12798819

One way of thinking about this whole "Perch" thing is this.

Think of it as a rather large fish tank. The owners can do with it what they please. No one is going to get mad at me for throwing my kids Gold fish in the garden. Same applies to the Perch.

Sundance looks like a heck of a job. Good luck

Jamie
Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracing_23 View Post
I really dont care, those rules are for you and me and everyone on this board, fish and wildlife could come up with a better plan for the 1,432,564,699apparent perch left in the lake.
Open it up to the public for a year and problem solved.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
Open it up to the public for a year and problem solved.
Actually it won't work. The problem being is in the biology of the fish. They breed like rats. They over grow the food source and they stunt in growth. If there are no natural predators there is nothing to control them.

Its happening at a bunch of trout ponds. Its a damn shame that armchair biologists take it on themselves to stock these lakes with other species.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Actually it won't work. The problem being is in the biology of the fish. They breed like rats. They over grow the food source and they stunt in growth. If there are no natural predators there is nothing to control them.

Its happening at a bunch of trout ponds. Its a damn shame that armchair biologists take it on themselves to stock these lakes with other species.

Exactly...average sized perch 5-6 inches...people always want to take the biggest and some even throw the little ones back in the lake...meanwhile another 1,500,000 + eggs are hatching and looking for something to eat. Remembering that no pike and no walleye means super great successful recruitment into the population.

The public would not over fish this lake cause they would not come for 4 or 5 inch perch.

If a 8 inch female has 30,000 eggs...take 100 females X 30,000 = 3,000,000 eggs. Only 5% survival is 150,000...if half are female and reproduce...etc. etc. Pike and Walleye knock the numbers down early and keep preying on them all the way up to ethe 16 inchers getting eaten by 20 lb pike. We can not put pike and walleye in as it is illegal and be a horrible fishery...for too many reasons to go into now.

We are only trying to at best accomplish what mother nature would of done normally...kill millions of perch every year... Hopefully between netting, egg removal, stocking larger trout, angling...we can "dent" the population enough to make them viable want to fish for.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Sundancefisher you are most patient. If there is another cull or fishing derby please let me know. Also if you need volunteers to help I might be available.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie;322806]Here is a picture of lake Sundance.
Its not really a trout pond. Think XL sized Trout pond

http://www.panoramio.com//photo/12798819

I just found this tidbit on Lake Sundance for anyone who is interested

The lake is approximately 33 acres and the park is approximately 22 acres. On average, the lake is 22' deep and the deepest is 38 feet...For our younger members:
- 1 acre is equal to 43,560 square feet.
- 1 acre is equal to about 76% of a football field
So XL trout pond sums it up
Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM

13.2 hectares if you are metric.