Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
N.S.R is completely frozen up, best time to fish it is going to be Febuary and march when the water is very high and muddy, hopefully this year is a good 1

ah yes, the infamous February run off
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
you may have lots of dumb luck.others might not .I have been in 30° water give it a try then we will see if you still think its a good idea to fish a river in winter. yes I hate stupid advice.you put others in harm way not knowing their level of skill.
Many people fish rivers in the dead of winter, stauffer and the bow just to name a couple, when the ice starts to break up you can fish pools.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Many people fish rivers in the dead of winter, stauffer and the bow just to name a couple, when the ice starts to break up you can fish pools.
Did you just compare Stauffer to the NSR......?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 AM

sure, but the river doesn't get "high and muddy" starting in February
Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What is wrong with fishing the n.s.r if it's open in febuary and march.
It's open now in places...have at 'er.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
did you just compare stauffer to the nsr......?
bahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
imo you can do as you wish, I just feel it is a poor choice to suggest others do as you do.and stauffer is a little stream the NSR kills stupid people every year.my man murphy never sleeps. go a head jump in with 5 or so buddies around spend 1 min in the water up to your neck then walk out,lol I wanna watch, been there done that in the military 5 out of 30 men made it out with out assistance.those were all men trained in that eventuallity. go give it try before you suggest some one else put them selves at that risk.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Hahhahahahah that just made my day!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
imo you can do as you wish, I just feel it is a poor choice to suggest others do as you do.and stauffer is a little stream the NSR kills stupid people every year.my man murphy never sleeps. go a head jump in with 5 or so buddies around spend 1 min in the water up to your neck then walk out,lol I wanna watch, been there done that in the military 5 out of 30 men made it out with out assistance.those were all men trained in that eventuallity. go give it try before you suggest some one else put them selves at that risk.
Jumping in and swimming the n.s.r during winter time is entirely different then fishing it,(you go ahead and jump in let us all know how cold it is) i was saying Febuary and March are great times for fishing it in open areas, and yes you can watch anytime, as long as you catch and release and fish within the regs no problems at all, when the first ice breaks through i will be sure to let you know first.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
N.S.R is completely frozen up, best time to fish it is going to be Febuary and march when the water is very high and muddy, hopefully this year is a good 1
Shawn are you really that clueless . Fish Hunter7 & biggamehunter Unless you have a death wish wait until Mid March , End of March to get fishing the River , that will be when most of the ice is off , but still some along the shorelines . Listening to Shawn will get yourselves hurt or even killed .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 01-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM

I think Kevin Thunder is my new best friend!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM

He clearly doesn't understand why we are warning people of winter fishing on rivers with unstable ice. Just let BGSH fish and maybe he'll figure it out on his own.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

I will stop posting here then, forget it, trust me i swear to god i am done here.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I will stop posting here then, forget it, trust me i swear to god i am done here.
Thank god for small favors .
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Quoted for proof.......
Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM

you don't need a guide to teach how to get skunked.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
you don't need a guide to teach how to get skunked.

Thats funny.....
Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

this thread is about fishing tactics not ice safety. So dont comment if you are not helping me out. Its a waist of my time to write a thread and not get answers. So unless you are replying to my original post go away
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
this thread is about fishing tactics not ice safety. So dont comment if you are not helping me out. Its a waist of my time to write a thread and not get answers. So unless you are replying to my original post go away

Did you not read all the replies that said Waste (not waist) of time ? Not only is it unproductive at this time of year, but it's absolutely treacherous if you plan on walking on the ice to fish a decent hole (Believe it or not, there will be ice on the shoreline, if not across in most areas).

People here are just trying to help. You asked about fishing it, you got a reply. Don't put your life at risk to fish unproductive water... or any water for that matter.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Did you not read all the replies that said Waste (not waist) of time ? Not only is it unproductive at this time of year, but it's absolutely treacherous if you plan on walking on the ice to fish a decent hole (Believe it or not, there will be ice on the shoreline, if not across in most areas).

People here are just trying to help. You asked about fishing it, you got a reply. Don't put your life at risk to fish unproductive water... or any water for that matter.
Well said
Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
hi haters, i have fished the n.s.r in the pass in Febuary late febuary cant remember the exact date and time to the second sorry but i do remember March 16th a few years back at 3:33pm the fishing was great water was high and the ice was flowing but the fish were biting.
Walleye to be exact. there spring spawners which will lead me to believe that the fishing will be good regardless of the water conditions. using your favorite tactic with a jig the walleye fishing should be no less of great fishing.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Walleye to be exact. there spring spawners which will lead me to believe that the fishing will be good regardless of the water conditions. using your favorite tactic with a jig the walleye fishing should be no less of great fishing.
pretty sure eyes arnt "spawning" in the middle of march. the river is still ussually locked up with ice to be exacter.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

they start to spawn in April-May
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
pretty sure eyes arnt "spawning" in the middle of march. the river is still ussually locked up with ice to be exacter.
Walleye will start their spawning rituals long before they actually spawn (pre-spawn), and its hard to distinguish between the two. They leave their wintering hole in search of food and spawning grounds as soon as or even before ice off.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post

I think I know that there is going to be ice on the shore. Look at my avatar pic. I'm fly fishing on the north sask there in early February. Lets talk about fishing instead of dieing.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Even if the NSR was fishable, I still think your best bet would be to go icefish somewhere else, lots of water up there.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Think about guys, do you really think nobody is fishing the NSR this time of year is because nobody was smart enough to have thought of it? It's because everybody is smart enough to stay away from it.

If you guys want to fly fish, try the Bow when the chinooks roll through Calgary. That river can be very productive throughout the winter and fished fairly safely as well. Leave Edmonton's city limits by 6am and you should be entering the water by 10ish. Concentrate on deep slow pools and the head of a pool in the chop where fast water meets slow water. Nymphing rigs with an indicator on a floating line or sink tips with a streamer work well.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Think about guys, do you really think nobody is fishing the NSR this time of year is because nobody was smart enough to have thought of it? It's because everybody is smart enough to stay away from it.

If you guys want to fly fish, try the Bow when the chinooks roll through Calgary. That river can be very productive throughout the winter and fished fairly safely as well. Leave Edmonton's city limits by 6am and you should be entering the water by 10ish. Concentrate on deep slow pools and the head of a pool in the chop where fast water meets slow water. Nymphing rigs with an indicator on a floating line or sink tips with a streamer work well.

Cheers,
Doc
great advice, and to keep on topic, I'll even "guide" you
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
I think I know that there is going to be ice on the shore. Look at my avatar pic. I'm fly fishing on the north sask there in early February. Lets talk about fishing instead of dieing.
The NSR will not look like your Avatar pic until the end of March, but you go ahead and do whatever you like.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Cheers,
Doc
Saturday on the bow i only managed one nice brown trout. didnt even try a nymph on a indicator.it was also very crowded!