Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM

Default Carson Lake

Ok Folks I'm headed fishin!!! I am headed to Carson, north of Whitecourt. I am hoping to land some rainbows. I'll be in my kayak, so I can get to where the fish are... Tips, pointers, hot spots are all appreciated. Using flys and spinners, but where/when?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
brook trout

heres a hot spot. i ice fish it every winter. i cant describe exactly but were the dock is look out on to the lake and were you see some weeds pointing out of the water fish about 30 feet from there. caught a nice 18 incher there. also the ticket seems to be a normal hook baited with shrimp under a bobber and left there and twitched a bit. early morning is when the fish bite best. keep your presentation near the bottom or if your fly fishing i suggest you use a sinking line unless the trout are rising. some people i know catch suckers there. and one guy i know caught a brown trout.no joke
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM
brook trout

i also understand you are new welcome to the forum!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:40 PM

I must be fishing challenged cause I have a hard time catching trout there. If the trout fishing is slow, I suggest going to little McCleod which is behind McCleod lake towards the group camp. There is some good jack fishing in there as well as whitefish. Water is so clear you can see the bottom in 20 to 30 feet of water. Awesome spot. Good luck on the trout fishing.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:36 AM

Well i have fished this lake for years(but don't anymore as no challenge to me anymore).........going down the hill towards the boat launch facing north....to the right is a weed bed and the fish do move in and out of there.......going to the left in front of the benchs were everybody shore fishs lots hang around there or go all the way to channel and fish this side of the channel close to weeds or go through the channel and fish the other side of the weed bed.................east side boat launch facing the water go the right and fish the far corner and along the north bank as it goes west, some times around the water station along the north west corner produces good or go to the swimming area and fish out around the weeds which are out a couple hundred yards and all stand by is a green wolley bugger also a 12 bead head hares ear, prince nymph, minnow patterns, werner shrimps patterns.......lots of shrimp in water,damelsflys, dragons,caddis.........so if u r fimilar with a fly called a 52 buick give it a try...............you will catch fish always myself use my tube and cast and use a sink 6 line with 6 pound test with a 9-12 foot leader...............good luck
Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 PM

Thanks for all your input, I was up campin, and didn't get as much time on the water as I would have liked. On a good note I did however land my first Rainbow ever!!!! what are the size restrictions for Rainbow? anyone know?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:02 PM

There is no size limit at Carson Lake... just a number limit of 5
Old 07-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Midas View Post
There is no size limit at Carson Lake... just a number limit of 5
7 inchs if i remember right

If you fishing it this weekend u will have to go down in between 12-18 feet to catch fish for the most part doesn't mean that won't come up shallower but for the most part, stay down deep............i am a fly fisherman and not sure if u r or not if not, i have seen many times a gang troll or a ford fender with a 24 inch leader with a fly on it or if u r a worm fisherman..........the fly that is called a 52 buick was tied for that lake, or use a green wooley bugger, idaho nymph, black leach..........surface temp on the lake i was fishing the other night was 74 degrees f so the water is getting hot and i would bet carson is probably around 77 degrees at surface........rainbows comfort zone is water in the 52-56 f range........good luck
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up Carson Hogs

Large Rainbows lurking in shallow water close to weed beds.
beaded dragon fly works real good or green wooley bugger.
Happy Fishin
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM

years ago we had trolled Carson all morning with not a bite. Then around 2 pm we pulled into a small bay and saw trout rising. We tried several patterns until I noticed a nymph casing in the water. It was black with a white tuft. After modifying a close resemblance I immediately began catching around 12-14" rainbows on virtually every cast for about 45 minutes, then everything went silent. Now I keep at least 6 Idaho nymphs in my flybox at all times.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:05 AM

Default About Carson ????

Just wondering is Carson Lake just North West of high-way 32 on 43 ?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 AM

You turn North off of highway 43 onto highway 32 and its about 10 minutes down the road on your right hand side. Big signs can't miss it.