Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 AM

Default Knuckle ball jigs

For the benefit of the guys out on this weeks outing and were wondering about the name etc. of the goofy looking jigs I was using and getting lots of action here is a copy out of the bass Pro online catalog. the are called knuckle ball jigs. I use them winter and summer and they work great for walleyes and burbs. I know a few folks asked what the heck it is so here is the scoop. The are glow type as well.

Fin-tech® Nuckle Ball® Original Two Tone Jigs

Versatile baits feature the revolutionary "head under" design, kinked shank, weedless eyelet, and a Mustad® Knife Edge hook.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Default knuckle balls

Been using them for about three yrs now, wholesale has a way better selection over bass pro if anybody is lookin..And they work like a charm..
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Yes, use them as well but smaller ones with the hollow bodied swim baits I like using. Never put one on though wednesday, maybe i should have!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Default Jigs

I get mine at Wholesale as well, just came across the pic on Bass Pro website. Several asked what they were so thought I would put some insight. Have been using for a couple years now as well. Comes in different sizes/weights and colors.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 PM

hey Ken, were you using whole smelts or chunks?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Smelts

We were using whole ones but smaller size. We had 2 bags from Superstore one seemed to be huge size and the other was bigger than minnows but not the kind to use for monster pike. You probably could try big ones in half. We usually find if they are too big there with the smaller fish we miss or lose too many. We caught around 30 this week but probaby lost that many as well.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM

I have a couple bags of the smaller ones. I was looking for those huge herring or something but choice is pretty limited around here going to hang one for that big pike anyways, maybe I will get lucky aand get a rematch. if not, next time. I want to find somewhere with suckers and save some of those for Moby.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Hey Wayne I just got in from a PCR burb fest this evening. You can use just the last inch or so of the smelt on the hook. The burbs seemed to like the tails. We also got a bunch of 'eyes and a few little pike. There was a pretty serious wind blowing for a bit....rolling the burbs across the ice. The temp was alright and there was a film of water on top of the ice when we left. Should be good tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 PM

guess everyone likes a little tail thanks for the update, Im going to have a hard time sleeping tonight I found my pop up does great in the wind, even if I only put in the 4 corner ice anchors. my floor will come in handy Im thinking with the water, just hope it doesnt freeze down when the sun goes down. Guess I will have to move it once in a while.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Hey wayne I ended up getting the day off tommorow so I will be getting up around 530 and heading out by 6 or so. Should be there before the sun is up. I have some nice sized herring and am going to get another pack or 2 of the little minnows. If you need any just let me know. I will have my home made hut with the great tarp and plywood ends. Stop by and check out the cam and say hi and we will get together and set up a tip up trap for that monster and see what happens.

Nate
Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 PM

Sounds good, I think there will be a few people with cameras, Ive never seen one so another new experience. Maybe one of us will get lucky and get that hog pike up for some pictures I will be there, probably before noon knowing me

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
guess everyone likes a little tail thanks for the update, Im going to have a hard time sleeping tonight I found my pop up does great in the wind, even if I only put in the 4 corner ice anchors. my floor will come in handy Im thinking with the water, just hope it doesnt freeze down when the sun goes down. Guess I will have to move it once in a while.
Just put a few chunks of 2x4 under the corners/edges of your floor to keep it up out of the wet and you should be good

Might want to bring a hammer to knock to blocks out afterwards so you don't leave a mess behind

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM

the floor is framed with 2x2s and the insulation is inset a bit, so it doesnt usually have any problem with freezing, but havent tried it in the plus temps, so far the warmest has been minus 22 , if you can call that warm, . dam its good to be a Canadian your wife must think we are all crazy, wait til she meets me and I prove her right!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
the floor is framed with 2x2s and the insulation is inset a bit, so it doesnt usually have any problem with freezing, but havent tried it in the plus temps, so far the warmest has been minus 22 , if you can call that warm, . dam its good to be a Canadian your wife must think we are all crazy, wait til she meets me and I prove her right!
Well, tomorrow will be your practical test for 'warmer' temps

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that she thinks we're a bunch of whack jobs!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams