Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 PM

Default First bull trout near edmonton?

I am a new fly fisherman that has had luck in local potholes and on north prarie creek but want to catch a bull trout within 3 hours from edmonton. Anyone want to share where to go and how to fish them? Thank you.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 PM

Simply look what rivers have bulltrout in them and put the miles on
Old 08-05-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Simply look what rivers have bulltrout in them and put the miles on
As a teenager it's tough to convince the parents to drive, so I would like reliable trips aha
Old 08-05-2015, 11:26 PM

The Mcloud River (2ish hours from Edmonton) in October would hold Bulls, as for exactly where, I simply don't know. I've never fished it. But there are Bulls and I read a Canadian fly fisher magazine article about it. At this time of year it'd be no dice for Bulls there as they are continually moving. With bull trout, nothing is ever a guarantee though.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingkid View Post
As a teenager it's tough to convince the parents to drive, so I would like reliable trips aha
No such thing as reliable wth bulltrout, especially this late into the season. The water is extremely low already this year and many fish are not where they once were as they are pushing up to streams to spawn
Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Little Smoky by Fox Creek has them. fish the big pools with the biggest and ugliest streamer you have and you should get one or two. i have good luck with a big white streamer with a little red in it.

Rgds
Mike
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
The Mcloud River (2ish hours from Edmonton) in October would hold Bulls, as for exactly where, I simply don't know. I've never fished it. But there are Bulls and I read a Canadian fly fisher magazine article about it. At this time of year it'd be no dice for Bulls there as they are continually moving. With bull trout, nothing is ever a guarantee though.
I like to get off the water for the bulls by October. They are starting to stage up for spawning and need as little stress as possible.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikePinkster View Post
I like to get off the water for the bulls by October. They are starting to stage up for spawning and need as little stress as possible.
Actually the northern populations are spawning in a couple weeks. They've long finished spawning in October. Southern populations, spawn in late October. Don't worry I have no interest in disturbing spawning fish!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
No such thing as reliable wth bulltrout, especially this late into the season. The water is extremely low already this year and many fish are not where they once were as they are pushing up to streams to spawn
2x they can be very hard to find in the summer. Char are constantly moving and with drought this year they're regular position (places that you'd find them other years) can vary up to several km
Old 08-06-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Thank you
Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
Little Smoky by Fox Creek has them. fish the big pools with the biggest and ugliest streamer you have and you should get one or two. i have good luck with a big white streamer with a little red in it.

Rgds
Mike
Thank you
Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 PM

I'd like to see evidence of this late october spawning. While possible I've not once heard of fish in alberta that are spawning late oct, they drop down to mainstems of the bigger rivers to winter by then.

Fish are already looking to spawn down south, northern pops are 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule. This year is completely wacko. You may have the odd exception but bulls are typically late late aug-end of september spawners. Depends on water temps and levels.

As far as near edmonton, its tough. You aren't going to find any sure bets unless you're driving 3+ hours. Little smokey as recommended up north is a good bet, but like i mentioned, waiting until later in the fall when fish have dropped out of the spawning creeks is likely a better bet.