Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Question .30-06 ammo for Moose?

I have been drawn for a Bull Moose tag this year.

This will be my first Moose hunt.

I have a .30-06, and I usually just hunt deer. I have been using the (Federal) Fusion 165 grain bullets (link to ballistics). I imagine that I would want to use something with more energy behind it for a Moose.

I have read that people suggest a 180 grain bullet. I have heard that some people feel that a 165 grain SPBT will do the trick as well.

I normally hunt deer in the bush. I usually am closer than 100 yards before taking the shot. I'm not sure it this will be the case when hunting a Moose. I'm not comfortable taking a shot over 200 yards (maybe 250 yards if the conditions are good).

I want to make a clean kill, without excessive damage to the meat or prolonged pain for the animal.

What ammunition do you suggest?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Default Moose Ammo

I take them with 165 Accu Tip Boat Tails from Remingtion. Your Federal Fusion is premium ammo as well and if you hit him in the "basket" he is going down and fast. If you are really concerned go to 180 in the same bullet. You will find that the ballistics are not that much different. Energy = Mass X velocity. Big bullet slower speed or smaller bullet faster speed equals just about the same yield at the hitting end within reason.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM

You don't need a howitzer for moose, like the US forums they are convinced they need a .458 or 416.I've dumped truck loads with a .270 and 130gr Hornadys.Any 30-06 bullet from 150 up will work fine as long as it's of stout construction you'll have no problems............Harold *moose arn't tough like elk

Last edited by Pioneer2; 07-16-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
You don't need a howitzer for moose, like the US forums they are convinced they need a .458 or 416.....Harold *moose arn't tough like elk

Ha ha that is so funny, because it is true. I read an article by a guy hunting moose in Newfoundland and he adamant that the .300 win mag was the absolute minimum for moose
Old 07-06-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
You don't need a howitzer for moose, like the US forums they are convinced they need a .458 or 416.I've dumped truck loads with a .270 and 130gr Hornadys.Any 30-06 bullet from 150 up will work fine as long as it's of stout construction you'll have no problems............Harold *moose arn't tough like elk

I agree for sure, I dumped my biggest moose vere with a 303 jungle carbine shoting 215 grain bullets that were probably only doing about 2100 fps. at the most.
The 165 grain bullet will work fine, the 180 will work too with well constructed bullets.
Elk are a lot tougher than their wimpy cousin Bullwinkle.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Good Point

That's a good point.

The difference in energy at less than 200 yards is nominal.

Load No. Grains M.E. 100 y 200 y 300 y 400 y 500 y
F3006FS2 165 2852 2458 2109 1800 1527 1287
F3006FS3 180 2913 2540 2206 1907 1640 1403

It would be nice to use the same ammo for Deer and Moose. I just wonder if it is a good idea.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Default You should be fine

In Newfoundland hundreds of moose have been taken and are still taken with a .303 British (usually 180gr). Also popular are the .30-30 and .270 (average shot under 100yds).

So you are good to go with what you have in terms of power.

However, equipment aside, if you drew a moose tag around Drumheller (wide open), then you might want to get more comfortable at 200 yds. Moose might not have too keen of eyesight but that snout can pick up scent easy on flat windy prairie. As it has been said many times shot placement is paramount and not believing in your skills at longer ranges may handicap you when the time comes to sqeeze that trigger.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accubond View Post
However, equipment aside, if you drew a moose tag around Drumheller (wide open), then you might want to get more comfortable at 200 yds. Moose might not have too keen of eyesight but that snout can pick up scent easy on flat windy prairie. As it has been said many times shot placement is paramount and not believing in your skills at longer ranges may handicap you when the time comes to sqeeze that trigger.
I was drawn for WMU 936. East of Edmonton, south east of Elk Island National Park.

I better start exercising ... that area is 'muscular power only', and the rifle season is Nov 1st to Nov 23rd.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:21 PM

You'll need some snow, a couple of Crappy Tire toboggans, and some able-bodied friends willing to be paid in moose.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM
s_buffalo

You can always count on me, FatBuck! (and I have a Crappy Tire toboggan to boot!) You know how to get a hold of me if you have some heavy pulling to do.

Congrats on the draw, BTW. Hope you have heaps of fun with your hunt!

Stinky

Last edited by s_buffalo; 07-16-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Should have also specified that my exp. was with the Nosler Ballistic Tips.
So you are judging all tipped bullets based on the results of your experiences with only one of many tipped bullets?

And the ballistic tip just happens to be one of if not the lightest constructed plastic tipped big game bullets available.Even Noslers own accubond is much tougher.

Quote:
Let's face it though, there is not another tipped bullet out there built like the MRX either.
How about the bullet below?

http://www.winchester.com/products/c...?bn=16&type=69

Another tipped bullet that won't likely come apart.

http://nosler-bullets.com/?p=3&bullet=20

And yet another tipped bullet that will not likely break up on bone.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/gun_columns/notes/0712/

Last edited by stubblejumper; 07-15-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 PM

I've used the Federal Premium 180 gr. Barnes TSX. Great penetration, won't come apart if you hit bone (my experience the tipped bullets go to pieces when you hit the shoulder bone and almost never leave an exit wound - if you're in the bush a big blood trail is very nice to have) and it leaves an exit wound 99.9% of the time which makes any needed tracking much easier. It also expands nicely and retains almost 100% of its weight. It also shoots as flat or flatter than 150 and 165 grain bullets and because it's long for its weight is acts like a 200 grain bullet when it hits. It's all I use now in my 30-06 for everything from deer and elk to bear and moose. Not to mention I've also had very little blood shot meat with this load. Its also fairly accurate out of my gun.

Hit the moose in the shoulder and it will break the shoulder, take out the lungs and break the off shoulder and will exit.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2008, 02:33 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I've used the Federal Premium 180 gr. Barnes TSX. Great penetration, won't come apart if you hit bone (my experience the tipped bullets go to pieces when you hit the shoulder bone and almost never leave an exit wound -
Just because a bullet has a plastic tip does not mean that it won't penetrate or hold together when it strikes bone.Have you heard of the Barnes MRX?Do you realize that there is new version pf the TSX with a plastic tip?It is quite likely that the new version,the new tippedTSX will eventually replace the TSX altogether.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-tsx-bullet/
Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Stubble,

As I stated, in my experience, plastic tipped bullets have gone to pieces when hitting bone. I am sure others have not had this experience. Should have also specified that my exp. was with the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I agree the MRX looks great. Haven't tried it yet to see if its more accurate but I have little doubt that this will work as well as the TSX.

Let's face it though, there is not another tipped bullet out there built like the MRX either.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 PM

Re: 30-30 and moose within 100 yards. Back in NL my brother gave my Dad a 30-30 for his birthday one year (the latter was getting older and could use a light gun). The first 7shots he fired out of that rifle netted him 7 moose, all taken within 100 yards.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 AM

I have harvested two moose in the last 3 years with my .30-06. About 5 years ago I switched from 165 to 180 for everything. With the new Federal Premium ammo the 180 fly very fast. I use the 180 nosler partitions and have had very good success, a great balance between penetration and expansion. The two moose I shot both pancaked on the spot. SM
Old 07-15-2008, 02:59 PM

first moose i got was with a 257wby with 100gr barnes x at a 100'n some yards.
the next was with a 7ultramag 165(?)gr
if your the least bit nervous, go 180gr and move in.
lf you shoot the boiler room at a quartering away shot, meat damage will be small...the main circ pump is about the size of a ice cream pail, the air management system is the size of a five gallon pail
giver hard!!!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Your 165 gr Fusions should do the job just fine. If you prefer the additional thump, a 180 gr will do nicely.

Don't worry about a long range shot with moose. I have only ever seen one moose taken at long range, and that was by one of my army sniper buddies. All others were well within 100 metres.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
stubblejumper

I would not hesitate to use the 165gr fusion,but if you do want a tougher bullet,consider the loads with the nosler partition,trophy bonded tip,or the barnes tsx.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Any of these will be fine in 165gr or 180gr.And as previously posted,using a heavier bullet will not add any significant energy,especially at closer ranges.

The only way to really gain any energy is to go with a load like the Hornady light magnum.It will add a bit of energy,but the bullets used in these loads are not as tough as the bullets listed above.With big game like moose,a tougher bullet is more important than a little extra energy.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...bb152612e888c8
Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
I would not hesitate to use the 165gr fusion,but if you do want a tougher bullet,consider the loads with the nosler partition,trophy bonded tip,or the barnes tsx.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Any of these will be fine in 165gr or 180gr.And as previously posted,using a heavier bullet will not add any significant energy,especially at closer ranges.

The only way to really gain any energy is to go with a load like the Hornady light magnum.It will add a bit of energy,but the bullets used in these loads are not as tough as the bullets listed above.With big game like moose,a tougher bullet is more important than a little extra energy.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...bb152612e888c8

I actually have a box of Federal Premium VitalShok 165 GR Nosler Ballistic Tip (P3006Q), and a box of Hornady "30-06 SPRG 165 GR INTERBOND".

I just havn't tried them yet.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
collectornine

Smile why Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuck View Post
I have been drawn for a Bull Moose tag this year.

This will be my first Moose hunt.

I have a .30-06, and I usually just hunt deer. I have been using the (Federal) Fusion 165 grain bullets (link to ballistics). I imagine that I would want to use something with more energy behind it for a Moose.

I have read that people suggest a 180 grain bullet. I have heard that some people feel that a 165 grain SPBT will do the trick as well.

I normally hunt deer in the bush. I usually am closer than 100 yards before taking the shot. I'm not sure it this will be the case when hunting a Moose. I'm not comfortable taking a shot over 200 yards (maybe 250 yards if the conditions are good).

I want to make a clean kill, without excessive damage to the meat or prolonged pain for the animal.

What ammunition do you suggest?
It is Most admirable you want to make a clean kill etc.I would have to say if your gun is already shooting good with 165gr.I see no need to change its not going to make a bit of difference if your moose is shot with your 165 gr. or 180gr.a "well place shot "I dont think he will notice any diff as he is falling to the gound.Good luck happy hunting I have never shot a moose past 100 yrds .
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I actually have a box of Federal Premium VitalShok 165 GR Nosler Ballistic Tip (P3006Q), and a box of Hornady "30-06 SPRG 165 GR INTERBOND".
The 165gr interbond is a much tougher bullet than the 165gr ballistic tip.It would be the better choice for moose.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM

I'd have to check the logs, but I think it is somewhere around 30 moose killed by different people using handloaded ammo made by me, using 165 grain Game Kings, either from 308 WIN or 30'06.
They flat out work.....
Cat
Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 PM

I've taken 2 moose and an elk with my .30-06 and 165 grain Interbonds (factory loads). They performed flawlessly. I only recovered one, and it looked like one out of a magazine ad.

This year I'm going to use my .270 WSM with 140 grain TSX handloads. When I start handloading for the .30-06, I will either use 165to 180- grain TSX bullets.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

Call me old fashioned but in my .30-06 I have always used Winchester 180 grain powerpoints,yes I have tried other brands and grains but I stick with what my rifle shoots best.

Oh....btw...I use them for all my hunting...deer,elk moose,bear..I never had a critter tell me that I was using the wrong ammo..
Old 08-03-2008, 02:08 PM

If you are buying factory ammo I would give this a try. It is a 200 grain accubond and generates 3100 lbs/KE at the muzzle.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=247

You seem to like the 165s and I have also used the Hornady light magnums (165 grain Interbond) on elk with good results. We killed 3 elk with them and had 3 pass thrus out of 5 shots. These rounds chrony 2950 fps out of a 22" barrel. Damage was tremendous, one of the reasons I am going heavy and slowing down is to limit damage.

Last edited by 3006savage; 08-03-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

I used a Hornady 165 grain interbond bullet in my savage 30-06.

One shot to the lungs, he ran 55 yards and laid down and expired within two or three minutes.

To be fair, he came out right in front of me, about 15 yards, so I guess I was extremly lucky. I probally could have shot any bullet at that range!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Moose steaks anybody?

Congrats.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM

I've shot several moose with my 165 grain Winchester rounds and never lost one yet. Hit properly they won't go far. If you're new to moose hunting it might be worth your while to have a look at one of Craig Boddington's books on big-game anatomy, he put out a mini field version on North American Big Game that is very good. The vitals aren't always exactly where people think they are and a few minutes of studying isn't a bad idea before you go out and poke a hole in one.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Default my experience

You will likely be taking the moose well within your comfortable deer ranges. I like a 165 all purpose or you'd do even better busting him through the shoulders with a 180gr. Moose can take a good hit and walk into some nasty cover or bog making a nightmare of harvesting them. And some can show little sign of a hit, but if you've heard the expression,'stiffen up like a wounded moose', its true. After your shot, relax and mark the spot you hit em at and where he ran. Don't move for at least 15 honest minutes' then follow super slowly looking for sign, using trees as pausing spots. Chances are if you hit him non fatally, he has not gone far and made a j hooking and is facing downhill or at watching his back trail. Look hard and slow and chances are you'll see him facing your way, between a couple of trees a couple feet apart. God I miss moose hunting and breaded seasoned moose steaks. Mabey a couple more years. Have fun