Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM

Default Fort McMurray Fishing

Hey there fellow fishermen, Im new to alberta fishing and living in Fort Mac.

I have fished much of the waters in BC, but im finding myself completely out of it here in alberta, quite a different set of fishing skills vs those needed in BC..

First off I was wondering about poplar creek at the bottom of supertest, I have made one attempt at making it to the mouth of the river by following the creek on the south side, I made it about a couple of km in on the trail and was met with swamp and bush that was pretty much impassable. Is it easier to get there via the north edge of the creek before I waste my time? or is there some other way to get to the river/creek mouth?

I was also interested in any other creeks or rivers in the area that provide a decent days fishing? Im interested in fishing the athabaska but im unsure as to where I would do so and what lures/bait/technique to use. Im set up with a decent fly rig, and spin casters, but most of what I carry is directed at brookies and rainbow. I see alot of people hanging out at the bridge to nowhere but I dont often see anyone pulling anything in there.

Recently some friends and I decided to try camping at gregoire and ended up doing a little fishing, I ended up catching a few decent sized pike, didnt realise how easy they could be to catch, but they seemed very streaky, sometimes biting at everything, sometimes at nothing. Can anyone share their techniques for fishing these waters with an alberta newbie?

Thanks guys.