Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 PM

Default Question about a putrid hide

So, I have a hide that's started to go a bit putrid on me, but I was really hoping to cure it. Does anyone know what happens if you tan a fur that has started to go putrid?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 PM

most likely the fur will slip and fall out.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 AM

Default Hide

If you wanted it hair on you're out of luck, and should take better care of things. If you wanted a hair off hide you're in luck as gentle rotting is one way to get rid of the hair. What kind of hide is it?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 AM

Coyote. I can't figure out how it spoiled on me. I didn't get to skinning on the night I shot it but pretty soon after it was frozen solid. I didn't think it would spoil after that, and deer hides that I haven't fleshed right next to it are fine.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 AM

Default Green belly

Yotes start to get a green belly if not skinned soon . I think your Yotes will be fine allot of my snared one have the same issue, skin, flesh and stretch them then see if the hair pulls, you are probably fine.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Yotes start to get a green belly if not skinned soon . I think your Yotes will be fine allot of my snared one have the same issue, skin, flesh and stretch them then see if the hair pulls, you are probably fine.
x2

I see this quite often with coyotes, wolves and cougars that come into the shop to get skinned out......belly area can be very green and have a very poor odor but the hides are fine when they come back from the tanner.

Marco
Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 PM

I used to teach the Alberta trapping course and a few times I would bring a 'green belly' coyote in for the class to skin. Just to expose them to the reality of having to skin a ripe yapper, which can happen pretty easy if they pile up. It was comical to watch the "greenhorns" get green around the gills. haha

Like mentioned already ,skin it , board it and see if the fur holds.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R View Post
Coyote. I can't figure out how it spoiled on me. I didn't get to skinning on the night I shot it but pretty soon after it was frozen solid. I didn't think it would spoil after that, and deer hides that I haven't fleshed right next to it are fine.
If you shoot a coyote or wolf, even in very cold weather and cannot skin him right away, hang him up by a hind leg or something so the cold air can circulate around the entire carcass. If they are laying on the ground, the heat does not escape quick enough on the side that is in contact with the ground, which can cause problems. If you skin him and he is not slipping by that point you might be OK, but no guarantee. If he IS slipping at this stage you will be better off looking for a new coyote.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Great, thanks everyone for the advice! So, I've got it skinned, fleshed and salted. I'll treat and stretch it and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 AM

I would hit it with some borax if you can. That stuff is pretty good at killing the bacteria. Another good product is stop-rot, taxidermy supply stores sell it. Might be other brands names now but the one I used is stop-rot.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R View Post
Great, thanks everyone for the advice! So, I've got it skinned, fleshed and salted. I'll treat and stretch it and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

I am just curious why you would salt the hide. Just drying the pelt on the forming board would stop the 'rotting' process.

Borax can be bought in the laundry section of the grocery store. Or pharmacys will carry it too.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 PM

Default Green belly

MMMMMMM Green belly, just peel the bugger and stretch, never be afraid to put salt or borax on it, that will set the fur, how many nights have I spent skinning clients green wolves, best way to skin a green belly that is very fruity in flavor is to crack the woodstove with the flue closed for a bit, throw a bit of pitch and tar on the stove, several rums help, tiger balm in your nose and of course a pipe loaded with your favorite tobaco. Ive peeled 30 dogs so far and most of them are green. If your not seling the hide do not stretch apply salt and take to tannery.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM

Default hides

salt and borax set the hair in the hide no slippage. Owning a taxidermy studio and being a trapper at the same time is some what confusing, as a taxidermist salt is one of my largest consumables, as a trapper the auctions do not want the hides salted, why I have no idea, but salt is your friend and water is the enemy good luck
Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Might have been mentioned but if you cant skin right away hang upside down by the hind legs gets the guts up in the ribcage helps get the guts off the hide that cause green belly
Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Might have been mentioned but if you cant skin right away hang upside down by the hind legs gets the guts up in the ribcage helps get the guts off the hide that cause green belly
Exactly. I think everyone learns this the hard way though.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-GMIC View Post
MMMMMMM Green belly, just peel the bugger and stretch, never be afraid to put salt or borax on it, that will set the fur, how many nights have I spent skinning clients green wolves, best way to skin a green belly that is very fruity in flavor is to crack the woodstove with the flue closed for a bit, throw a bit of pitch and tar on the stove, several rums help, tiger balm in your nose and of course a pipe loaded with your favorite tobaco. Ive peeled 30 dogs so far and most of them are green. If your not seling the hide do not stretch apply salt and take to tannery.
Tiger balm in your nose doesn't burn? I've heard of Vicks but I've seen the old tiger balm in the jock trick and the way it burns a guys balls I don't know if I'd put it in my nose.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I am just curious why you would salt the hide. Just drying the pelt on the forming board would stop the 'rotting' process.

Borax can be bought in the laundry section of the grocery store. Or pharmacys will carry it too.
Ya, I just wanted to pull the moisture out as quick as possible so it wouldn't spread.

That borax suggestion is good - I'll definely do that to kill the bacteria.

I hope it turns out. I've still got a fox to do after this, but the coyote was a lot nicer. The fox was pretty scruffy.

After that I'll do my badger. By the I'm hoping I'll be confidential enough to do my bear.