Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 05:58 PM

Default Long range shooting target cameras.

Had anyone used or have a long shot lr-3 camera? I’m interested in shooting 500-1500m on private land and would like some real world experiences with target cameras. The good bad ugly or other options, Let’s hear it.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:04 PM

I have tried tge mong range camera thing, and several other friends have as well.
We all agree that Adam McDonald's Shotmarker electronic targets system is far superior in all aspects including price.Plus , his company builds them in New Brunswick! !
Feel free to PM me for more details .
Cat
Old 04-28-2024, 07:46 AM

there are interesting for sure i emailed him for some more info
Old 04-28-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
there are interesting for sure i emailed him for some more info
They may take a bit to get back to you as they are at matches almost every weekend these days , but they will get back to you for sure!
Can can also Google Fclass John and Eric Cortina V2 series , those will give you some very good examples of what Shotmarkers do .
Three of my friends even use them with a folding 4'x4' frame that will fit in the back of an SUV!
The frames can be used at any distance to about 2 miles IIRC.
Cat
Old 04-28-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Had anyone used or have a long shot lr-3 camera? I’m interested in shooting 500-1500m on private land and would like some real world experiences with target cameras. The good bad ugly or other options, Let’s hear it.
I have one. I use it on my property for exactly what you're talking about. It works awesome for that purpose. It's currently in storage but I'll be bringing it out again soon.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:01 PM

What does the frame need to be made of? Can I use chloroplast and wood or do I need a metal frame. Something more portable will be better so the cows don’t get it when their out.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:33 PM

Wood and coreplast is what we use. The boys from the Longest Mile have theirs made from Aluminun and Coreplast I think .
Our frames are 2x6 that sit on a removable 2x6 frame .
I can move 4 of them myself all at once and set them up very quickly with a utility trailer.
Cat
Old 04-28-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I wrote this a while ago. It might answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I use an LR3 Long Range camera system. It uses a camera that transmits to the unit you have at the shooting position. I’ve used it out as far as 1900m with great results. With the caveat that the terrain must be suitable (line of sight between the two units) for it to be reliable. The manual says that with the proper terrain, it will work up to 2 miles. I use it on every trip to the Edson range.

One of the coolest things about it is, because of the longer transit times the further out you go, you can actually watch the round hit. I would break the trigger shooting at 1500 metres, and glance over to the screen on my iPad and watch it hit or miss. You can learn so much about doping at long range with something like this.

You can also record your shots and watch it later. It also does snap shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Here it is in action at Edson at 1500m.

You can also take snapshots and record video of your shooting. The app is quite “clunky” and could use some improvements. But all in all, it works well.

Andy 6MT