Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 04:03 PM

Default Knives

Awesome work .
Old 01-26-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintc View Post
This is a great thread, lots of good points and input but some knowledgeable folks. From a knifemaker perspective I believe WinFwt summed things up nicely. His circumstance and summary of costs and process pretty much mirrors my own.

I make knives with a large variety of stainless and tool steels but I also forge a lot of knives from high carbon and damascus/pattern welded steel, just because that's what I enjoy. Materials choices on knives always boils down to performance trade offs, cost and preference, so I don't think there is a solid winner for the majority, a person has to do a bit of research and make those choices for themselves.

As has been noted, you don't have to spend $200 for a good knife, but it seems to me that pride in ownership and having something handmade that can be passed on is worth it to those who want it. I attached some photos of a bit of my work in a variety of blade and handle materials, including CPM3V, CPM154, damascus, G10, micarta, blackwood and antler.
That pattern welded blade with bone handle is a beauty, Wow!
Old 01-26-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
That pattern welded blade with bone handle is a beauty, Wow!
JB, that is exactly what I was thinking. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Clint, thank you for adding those pics. Gorgeous work you do. Really gorgeous.

And fellas, if you look closely at the blades, Clint is an Alberta Small Business. If ever we need to get behind that, then I can’t think of a better time.

What a great thread. Over 10 pages and no arguments, just guys learning from, and shooting the sht with each other about interesting stuff. AO at it’s best.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
And fellas, if you look closely at the blades, Clint is an Alberta Small Business. If ever we need to get behind that, then I can’t think of a better time.

I have a boning knife on order for my son!
Cat
Old 01-26-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
This is a great thread, lots of good points and input but some knowledgeable folks. From a knifemaker perspective I believe WinFwt summed things up nicely. His circumstance and summary of costs and process pretty much mirrors my own.

I make knives with a large variety of stainless and tool steels but I also forge a lot of knives from high carbon and damascus/pattern welded steel, just because that's what I enjoy. Materials choices on knives always boils down to performance trade offs, cost and preference, so I don't think there is a solid winner for the majority, a person has to do a bit of research and make those choices for themselves.

As has been noted, you don't have to spend $200 for a good knife, but it seems to me that pride in ownership and having something handmade that can be passed on is worth it to those who want it. I attached some photos of a bit of my work in a variety of blade and handle materials, including CPM3V, CPM154, damascus, G10, micarta, blackwood and antler.
Some outstanding workmanship there my friend.

I have taken up the hobby about 3 years ago, and obviously have a lot more to learn.

Thanx for sharing...
Old 01-26-2022, 06:53 PM

^ You should post some of yours too, Phil. The couple I have seen look pretty great!

Great work, Clint!
Old 01-26-2022, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the positive input. The San mai drop point blade with lighter/tan G10 handle has a centre core of 80CRV2 steel, the black G10 clip point San mai has a centre core of 26C2 high carbon steel at RC64. Clint
Old 01-27-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Could you give us a rough price range on these knives Clint?
Old 01-27-2022, 07:20 PM

Great thread with a lot of good info and best of all no fighting.

I think I am going to get a Grohmans. I assume the carbon steel blade would be better for sharpening than the stainless?

Its funny if you read about Grohmans on US knife sites, the typical American lack of knowledge of anything not made in the US. Even read one post claiming never heard of Grohmans, probably some fly by night off shore brand, advising to stick with Buck.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:58 PM

^ Yes, their carbon knives are easier to sharpen than their stainless. Neither takes crazy amount of effort though, imo.

Edit: in their words,

As any quality steel goes, stainless or carbon, all knives should be kept cleaned and oiled to prevent rusting, but especially in the carbon steel knives. They tend to hold an edge longer and sharpen up faster than the stainless, but they will corrode if not kept cleaned and oiled at all times when not in use.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...terials-we-use
Old 01-29-2022, 08:55 AM

Before I posted the clint c link I tried it a couple of times and it worked; now not so much.

TRY THIS:

I just logged into the CGN site... He has a current knife for sale... Exchange of Blades....13 ads down

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...pper-Low-Layer

Go to the link and click onto his name, View Profile, Find Latest Started Threads.

This will take you to his history and you can see a number of knives he has built.

Very nice,

Note: As you know, you have to be a CGN member to visit that specific forum...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 01-29-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Before I posted the clint c link I tried it a couple of times and it worked; now not so much.

I just logged into the CGN site... He has a current knife for sale...

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...pper-Low-Layer

Go to the link and click onto his name, view profile, Find latest started threads.

This will take you to his history and you can see a number of knives he has built.

Very nice,

Note: As you know, you have to be a CGN member to visit that specific forum...
The same thing happens on this site on AO. If you post the link generated by search results the link will only work for a certain period of time. I posted the search link results in the latest thread on guns for kids. It pulled over 500 previous threads by just searching daughter in guns and ammo section. The link worked for the day but doesn't work this morning. If I had posted the individual post links to a few of the actual threads the search pulled, it will usually stay live as long as the thread is there.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:13 PM

Is this anyone’s order from here?

Mammoth ivory.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:23 AM

I saw that one. Really nice knife. But assume that’s a bit quick for ordering since this thread started.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-31-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Hey fellas. I figured I would be exact about my budget, so in your experience, what skinning knife would you get for $200 or less?

No removable blade jobbies.

I know that is not a high end knife by any stretch, but it is all I got to put toward one at this time.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Hey SNS2!

Grohmann's website is selling the knife you are looking for as a factory second at 1/2 price.

Grohmann #1 with water buffalo horn, full flat grind and carbon steel. Still available as of this writing.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...t-grind-detail

Their Trout & Bird is on sale as well for 1/2 price. Resinwood handle, flat grind, carbon steel.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...ut-bird-detail

I just ordered the on-sale #1 for the family to use for hunting/camping, wanted a carbon steel blade as I suck at sharpening. The flat grind and buffalo horn handle are nice bonuses. I and also bought this one at 1/2 price as a general utility hunting/camping/outdoor knife:

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...r-knife-detail

Nice prices.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:41 PM

Nice fit and finish....

Manly Patriot... D2 steel

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/39145/kn...triot-d2-knife

Old 01-31-2022, 01:06 PM

Default Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Nice fit and finish....

Manly Patriot... D2 steel

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/39145/kn...triot-d2-knife
Not bad for the price.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Hey SNS2!

Grohmann's website is selling the knife you are looking for as a factory second at 1/2 price.

Grohmann #1 with water buffalo horn, full flat grind and carbon steel. Still available as of this writing.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...t-grind-detail

Their Trout & Bird is on sale as well for 1/2 price. Resinwood handle, flat grind, carbon steel.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...ut-bird-detail

I just ordered the on-sale #1 for the family to use for hunting/camping, wanted a carbon steel blade as I suck at sharpening. The flat grind and buffalo horn handle are nice bonuses. I and also bought this one at 1/2 price as a general utility hunting/camping/outdoor knife:

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...r-knife-detail

Nice prices.
No worries. I saw those already. As of now, I am saving some nickels to have Clint C make me one up.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:31 PM

Default Knife

Quote:
No worries. I saw those already. As of now, I am saving some nickels to have Clint C make me one up.
Same here. He does very nice work.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
What happened to your budget?

I'm all for spending other's money btw. It's fun to live vicariously thru others.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Not bad for the price.
If you have never used a knife with D2 steel I will gladly share my personal experience.

Several years ago, as a gift, a buddy gave me an ENZO Trapper with D2 steel.

He asked me to use it for dressing that seasons animals as far as I could get and only cleaning it in soapy water, and no sharpening it.

That season a buddy and I field dressed two elk and 2 deer with that knife only. There was enough of an edge on the ENZO to still do yet another deer.

All I did at the seasons end was wash it and 20 strops each way and I was able to shave the hair on my arm.

I own a Manly Patriot with D2 steel and so does my son (orange handle) and we love them....
Again it is a personal choice and I am happy with the D2 performance.

Good luck with Clint's knife. He likes to use 3V steel and you will not be disappointed...You will ask yourself "what took me so long", I know I did...?

Over the years, I have had the opportunity to own several knives and experiment with different steel.

Out of everything, I am now down to two fixed blade knives with the flint knapped finished handles:
1. Clint's custom with CMP 3V steel
2. Manly Patriot with D2 steel

Last edited by graybeard; 01-31-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
What happened to your budget?

I'm all for spending other's money btw. It's fun to live vicariously thru others.
The more I started to learn about knives, the more I realized that I would like a knife made specifically for me, using the materials I want.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The more I started to learn about knives, the more I realized that I would like a knife made specifically for me, using the materials I want.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
And amortized over a lifetime of use an extra $100 is largely meaningless.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-31-2022, 07:03 PM

When I used to guide non residents some would want me to use their knives to process the animal and then they didn't want the knife cleaned... I got to handle some beautiful knives, some were sharp some weren't. But they did not want the blood taken off the knife nor did they want the knife cleaned.

I thought it was strange at the time.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:28 AM

My knife order was confirmed with Clint today. His customer service has been excellent.

I have three other custom knives it will be interesting to compare them all. I havn't used any of them yet
Old 02-01-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderomag View Post
My knife order was confirmed with Clint today. His customer service has been excellent.

I have three other custom knives it will be interesting to compare them all. I havn't used any of them yet
What did you end up ordering? We are all ears!
Old 02-01-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
What did you end up ordering? We are all ears!
The handle is the same handle in Clint”s pics he posted. Bottom row first knife

Blade material cpm s90
Old 02-01-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderomag View Post
The handle is the same handle in Clint”s pics he posted. Bottom row first knife

Blade material cpm s90
What it set you back?
Old 02-01-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
What it set you back?
That’s a matter between myself and Clint. I’m sure he will answer price questions through pm
Old 02-01-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And amortized over a lifetime of use an extra $100 is largely meaningless.
So true with many things (at least thats what I tell my wife)