Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
The last time I was there was 25 years ago, we could access the Green from Green lake. Couldn't go far as our boat set up was to big. You can also access the Beaver near where the Cowan flows in along highway 155. Maybe a 30 minute drive from Green Lake.

BW
Thanks. Just talked to my Dad and they boated up to the y from the lake.

Love the comments and help.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
You can drive to Beatty Lake and launch there on the Beaver. Or launch on Green Lake and Boat up the green river to the forks. That time of year I'd at least try the river initially. Green Lake itself tends to fish better a bit later into the summer, but by mid June it might be worth trying.
Thank you for the great information. My Dad went there 13 years and getting his advice, however, I like to hear everyones opinion.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
No boat launch at the Cowan. Only one north of town is at the Beatty Lake access.
There is access from Highway 155 to the Beaver. I've fished there from shore. Not sure how big of a boat you have but a tinner could be launched there easily. Again it was 25 or so years ago.

BW
Old 02-27-2023, 02:19 PM

If you're renting a cabin at Green Lake Lodge, just be prepared for them to be very rustic unless they have done reno's in the past 2 years, which I highly doubt seeing as they havent since they bought the place like 20 years ago.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
If you're renting a cabin at Green Lake Lodge, just be prepared for them to be very rustic unless they have done reno's in the past 2 years, which I highly doubt seeing as they havent since they bought the place like 20 years ago.
Yeah, I seen pics already and am ok with these cabins..LOL. As long as i have a bed, shower and a BBQ, I am good. It's all about the fishing and beers.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Shad Raps, Flicker Minnows, Taildancers, Hot n tots. All work well.
Can you troll with these crankbaits? I have only casted with them.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:09 PM

They are all MADE for trolling.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Can you troll with these crankbaits? I have only casted with them.
There's areas on the beaver river 5 to 7 feet deep that you can get 50 to 75 fish a day trolling these baits.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
There's areas on the beaver river 5 to 7 feet deep that you can get 50 to 75 fish a day trolling these baits.
Recommendations on size and colors? I don't plan on getting alot since i don't use them much throughout the year. Maybe 3 or 4 crankbaits. Where to get the best deal on all of these lures? Amazon has a big selection but very pricy..LOL
Old 03-13-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Recommendations on size and colors? I don't plan on getting alot since i don't use them much throughout the year. Maybe 3 or 4 crankbaits. Where to get the best deal on all of these lures? Amazon has a big selection but very pricy..LOL
I use the hot n tot in blue or purple colors in the beaver river with good success.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:31 AM

The Co-Op store in Meadow Lake has a good fishing dept., about 1/2 way up on the main road. And then about 2 blocks east on the HiWay is a fishing supply store.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
I use the hot n tot in blue or purple colors in the beaver river with good success.
Do you use like a 2 1/2" , 5" or both? Bigger? smaller?
Old 03-13-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Do you use like a 2 1/2" , 5" or both? Bigger? smaller?
Usually the 2 1/2 ", troll it so it will periodically bump the bottom and it seems to get the walleye's attention.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Size 6 Shad rap. Colors that like firetiger, hot olive, blu silver etc. Although a lot of the good colors seem to be discontinued now.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Usually the 2 1/2 ", troll it so it will periodically bump the bottom and it seems to get the walleye's attention.
Exactly. Completely deadly on the Beaver
Old 06-03-2023, 12:03 PM

The game guide lists lake trout in Green lake has anybody ever caught one?
Old 06-03-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The game guide lists lake trout in Green lake has anybody ever caught one?
I was told there are a few caught every year still. The lodge has a prize pack if you do catch one. It was stocked in the 80s I guess.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:29 PM

Lived in the area 20 some years. Never heard if one being caught unfortunately
Old 06-05-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I was told there are a few caught every year still. The lodge has a prize pack if you do catch one. It was stocked in the 80s I guess.
There hasnt been any caught in quite a few years and even before that, it was 1 maybe every 3 or 4 years and that was it. I put a lot of hours in fishing for them and never got in. By a lot of hours, i mean A LLLLLOOOOOTTTTTTTTT lol. Lots of walleye and big pike out in the depths but only 1 laker and that was dam near 20 years ago, just a small 5 pounder.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
There hasnt been any caught in quite a few years and even before that, it was 1 maybe every 3 or 4 years and that was it. I put a lot of hours in fishing for them and never got in. By a lot of hours, i mean A LLLLLOOOOOTTTTTTTTT lol. Lots of walleye and big pike out in the depths but only 1 laker and that was dam near 20 years ago, just a small 5 pounder.
I've never fished it but we pass by green lake often and always thought about stopping/staying. That was just what I had heard from someone who goes there....which made it even more intriguing lol. Guess I don't need to waste time looking for char if I ever do.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:18 AM

It was a good trip, the river was easy to navigate a few low spots all soft bottom. Once we found the herd of Walleye on the Beaver the bite was on, lot's of catch and release kept a few for a feed the first day all four guys brought home a limit on the last day.
As a bonus we met up with fellow AO kevinhits for a beer and exchange fishing tips most fish were caught on yellow and black lead heads.

Would do it again although would have been better if it wasn't +30
Old 06-11-2023, 10:36 PM

Default green lake

Sounds like you had a great trip. Did you stay at the lodge, or a camp ground close by? Was thinking of giving it a try this summer.

Tommy
Old 06-12-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
It was a good trip, the river was easy to navigate a few low spots all soft bottom. Once we found the herd of Walleye on the Beaver the bite was on, lot's of catch and release kept a few for a feed the first day all four guys brought home a limit on the last day.
As a bonus we met up with fellow AO kevinhits for a beer and exchange fishing tips most fish were caught on yellow and black lead heads.

Would do it again although would have been better if it wasn't +30
It was great meeting you Rick and the other guys. Great tips and stories between us. This is why I stay here on AO. Lots of great guys and gals and always friendly on the lake wherever I go. 6 days at my age and a 8 hour drive each way weighs on this older body...LOL. I agree on the hot weather and very little breeze. The only thing that annoyed me was those bastard horse flys. Got bit once and yikes she hurt..

Met a crew launching on the East side of Green lake and first question they asked were how are the horse fly's, not how the fishing was going..
Old 06-12-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Sounds like you had a great trip. Did you stay at the lodge, or a camp ground close by? Was thinking of giving it a try this summer.

Tommy
We both stayed in cabins. A little rustic but for us old guys, it was great. Cabins are realistically priced.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
We both stayed in cabins. A little rustic but for us old guys, it was great. Cabins are realistically priced.
Perfect thanks. There's only two of us we have a 14 ft inflatable could put my 9.9 on or I got a 25/20 jet outboard, we would like to fish the river, you think the river would be deep enough for the 9.9 or should use the jet? Planning on going in Aug/Sept.

Tommy
Old 06-12-2023, 11:31 AM

UOTE=Tommy;4642022]Perfect thanks. There's only two of us we have a 14 ft inflatable could put my 9.9 on or I got a 25/20 jet outboard, we would like to fish the river, you think the river would be deep enough for the 9.9 or should use the jet? Planning on going in Aug/Sept.

Tommy[/QUOTE]

I had my 9.9 14 foot lund and no issues other than stay way right when hitting the canal coming from the lodge. Also, all the way up, try to stick to the middle and around bends. the deeper part. I took it slow the first day but the second day we made it up to the Beaver in 30 minutes. Also, my arm got tired moving the motor through all the switchbacks..LOL

Forgot to mention, my buddy and I each pulled in a fishing rod and reel. His was actually pretty decent and usuable, mine not so much..LOL. What are the chances of us both pulling one in within 2 days of each other.

Last edited by kevinhits; 06-12-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Perfect thanks. There's only two of us we have a 14 ft inflatable could put my 9.9 on or I got a 25/20 jet outboard, we would like to fish the river, you think the river would be deep enough for the 9.9 or should use the jet? Planning on going in Aug/Sept.

Tommy
I would concentrate more on the lake itself that time of year. The run up the river isn't necessary in July onward.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
UOTE=Tommy;4642022]Perfect thanks. There's only two of us we have a 14 ft inflatable could put my 9.9 on or I got a 25/20 jet outboard, we would like to fish the river, you think the river would be deep enough for the 9.9 or should use the jet? Planning on going in Aug/Sept.

Tommy
I had my 9.9 14 foot lund and no issues other than stay way right when hitting the canal coming from the lodge. Also, all the way up, try to stick to the middle and around bends. the deeper part. I took it slow the first day but the second day we made it up to the Beaver in 30 minutes. Also, my arm got tired moving the motor through all the switchbacks..LOL

Forgot to mention, my buddy and I each pulled in a fishing rod and reel. His was actually pretty decent and usuable, mine not so much..LOL. What are the chances of us both pulling one in within 2 days of each other.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is odd, hooking two outfits. Thanks for the info on the river.
Tommy
Old 06-12-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I would concentrate more on the lake itself that time of year. The run up the river isn't necessary in July onward.
Ok great, good to know.
Thanks
Tommy