Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-25-2023, 08:40 PM

I’m missing one. :-)
Old 04-25-2023, 08:43 PM

Nice Pathfinder.
Mine has only
Broken down, skinned 2 elk,1 MD buck and 2 MD does and 1 bull moose..
With another hunter old enough in family now I hope it's even more this year.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:29 PM

Default Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I’m missing one. :-)
Me too.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:53 AM

Just finished this one for a fellow AO member.

This semi skinner is made of 1084 Carbon Steel, with a cutting edge of approximately 2 7/8". The handles are "Americana" Dymalux, with brass pins. Also topped off with a Kydex sheath.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:50 PM

Looks great Phil! much like mine! That you made for me!
Old 06-14-2023, 08:45 PM

Default Magnacut from Clint!

Picked One off Clint this week! I think it will collaborate with my other knives, blades, I have!

Last edited by badbrass; 06-14-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:26 PM

As Pathfinder76 said "you just can't have enough!" or close to that!

Last edited by badbrass; 06-16-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:54 PM

It is a lite weight! As you can tell by the handle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Picked One off Clint this week! I think it will collaborate with my other knives, blades, I have!

Old 06-16-2023, 08:04 PM

Good for you.

I kinda like the blade design and the jimping.

Clint does excellent work!...
Old 06-16-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Good for you.

I kinda like the blade design and the jimping.

Clint does excellent work!...
So do you! I can't wait to give your knife a try in the coming season! And I will! Keep up with your endeavour and you will succeed! BB
Old 06-17-2023, 06:21 AM

Default Restoration

So awhile back, a fellow AO member saw me to see if I could restore an old hunting knife that he apparently found outdoors. Turns out it was an old "Russell Belt Knife Canada", with a marking of "RD1964". I assume this is the year it was made.

The knife was in pretty rough shape. Handles were obviously a replacement attempt from the originals, and the steel was rusted throughout.

So the rust was removed using Evaporust, then sanded down. There were several marks, deep gouges on the steel and most were smoothed down without going too deep. Gives this old knife character.

The owner chose a block of wood for the scales, being Zebrawood (Africa). Brass pins and lanyard hollow pin to complete it. Tung Oil sealer/oil to finish off the handles.

Here are "after" pictures. Was a fun project...

Old 06-17-2023, 06:53 PM

Good for you! Nice job you did on that knife! Congrats! he will be a happy camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
So awhile back, a fellow AO member saw me to see if I could restore an old hunting knife that he apparently found outdoors. Turns out it was an old "Russell Belt Knife Canada", with a marking of "RD1964". I assume this is the year it was made.

The knife was in pretty rough shape. Handles were obviously a replacement attempt from the originals, and the steel was rusted throughout.

So the rust was removed using Evaporust, then sanded down. There were several marks, deep gouges on the steel and most were smoothed down without going too deep. Gives this old knife character.

The owner chose a block of wood for the scales, being Zebrawood (Africa). Brass pins and lanyard hollow pin to complete it. Tung Oil sealer/oil to finish off the handles.

Here are "after" pictures. Was a fun project...

Old 06-17-2023, 07:24 PM

Phil McCracken, you are an outstanding wood and metal worker. I envy guys like you. I know lots of stuff has probably hit the garbage bin, but damn you have shared some lovely pics as of late.

This restoration… I mean the owner must be tickled pink. What an exceptional job. It is gorgeous.

The knives you re-scaled for Twisted Canuck, the custom zipper knife you made for me, and lots more.

Guys, I have a disease of buying and selling. There is no cure. I just don’t hold on to things for long. However, the zipper knife that Phil made up for me ain’t going anywhere, and I made my son promise that my knives go to my grandchildren should I not be around to pass them down. So that thing is gonna be in my family for generations, which is exactly the way custom gear should be.

I’m a fan.

Last edited by sns2; 06-17-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:00 PM

Just got the Magnacut knife in the mail today! Love the style of the knife and it only weighs in at 2.95oz. and with the sheath 4.75oz. fits the hand nice. And is sharp!!!! Another great knife from Clint!
Old 06-20-2023, 05:06 PM

Not much different from the knife you made me (Phil), but has a little belly. We will see how I like it! But I think I will. Will see, love both knives as they feel so nice in the hand!

Old 06-21-2023, 10:22 PM

Well, my hunting and fishing buddy, Prinny53, brought over his new knife from Clint Chisan. She's a real beauty. Put a 17° edge on her, and stopped with a nice toothy 600 grit edge. Gonna be dang hard to not order one. I'd take apart a moose in short order with this, and it will be dynamite for Boning out big game, cleaning fish, and breasting geese. Very similar to the Brend Skinner model from Dan Crotts, except with way better steel. Lovely knife in every regard.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 06-21-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:50 PM

Yes Magnacut is much better steel! That's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well, my hunting and fishing buddy, Prinny53, brought over his new knife from Clint Chisan. She's a real beauty. Put a 17° edge on her, and stopped with a nice toothy 600 grit edge. Gonna be dang hard to not order one. I'd take apart a moose in short order with this, and it will be dynamite for Boning out big game, cleaning fish, and breasting geese. Very similar to the Brend Skinner model from Dan Crotts, except with way better steel. Lovely knife in every regard.

Last edited by badbrass; 06-21-2023 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:52 PM

Just picked up the knives from Phil the other day. Might I Say, a magnificent restoration on the old Russel knife. My brother found it on the trunk road in the 80’s. And no it’s not yours. In case anyone lost one. The other new one he made was intended for a Donation auction item to an event that Duceman puts on every Father’s Day. That was until his shop and event building burnt down a week before. So sad.
In case anyone is wondering, there is a go fund me set up for Lee and family. Pm me for details. I’m sure Dick284 will also point you in the right direction.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I really like that knife.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:27 PM

I do too! I always use much the same filet knife for turkey carving (x-mass) or meat deboning, like it a lot!
Old 06-26-2023, 06:56 AM

^^

I really like this design. Agree with leaving a bit of "grit" on the edge also.

Thanx for sharing...
Old 06-26-2023, 07:23 AM

Recently finished this Drop Point Hunter.

The blade is 1084 Carbon Steel, with a cutting edge of approximately 3 1/4".

Handle material is Juma "Ivory Snake" material. Once polished, has a translucent 3D appearance which looks like snake skin. Red G10 liners and pins...

Old 06-26-2023, 09:03 AM

Great job, Phil. But that sucker will skin!
Old 06-26-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:

What? You didn't mail in your survey That is a beauty knife.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I like that design for boning and fish cleaning, I’m sure it would work very well. It’s similar but different to the victorinox styles of boning knives and they work well indeed.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
What? You didn't mail in your survey That is a beauty knife.
CNP, that survey was sitting on my laptop just waiting to be filled out, with the return envelope right next to it. Unfortunately, when the KME sharpener comes out, a piece of paper anywhere near is in mortal danger!
Old 06-28-2023, 12:21 PM

Got this knife from Phil Mccracken
This is my second knife from him and the quality is just as amazing as the first knife. This one however is going to be for my Dad’s birthday as I will be out of the province for his bday then so I felt getting him a nice gift was a good idea. I really like the design on this one and will be a great functional knife for hunting this fall. Thanks again J for a great job as usual, my Dad is going to love this
Old 06-28-2023, 12:36 PM

O! He's going to love that knife! Looks great Phil, nice job!! Congrats to your Dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post

Got this knife from Phil Mccracken
This is my second knife from him and the quality is just as amazing as the first knife. This one however is going to be for my Dad’s birthday as I will be out of the province for his bday then so I felt getting him a nice gift was a good idea. I really like the design on this one and will be a great functional knife for hunting this fall. Thanks again J for a great job as usual, my Dad is going to love this
Old 06-28-2023, 02:54 PM

I defy anyone to show me a more harmonious thread in the history of AO. I look forward to every post.

270Hunter, you are a fine young man. As proud as your Dad will be of that knife, he will be more proud of the boy who gifted it. Stellar.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:46 AM

Thanx 270hunter. Appreciate that!

In the past while, some have contacted me to determine if I used stainless steel on my knives. I was using Carbon Steel then, and still will be.

I recently purchased CPM Magnacut and looking forward to trying it out. Haven't heard a single bad thing about this steel. Appears to be a very popular within the knife crowd.

I also did some research on Nitro V Stainless Steel, and may give that a try also...