Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2023, 08:21 PM

Default Sturgeon 2023

I took advantage of the break in the smoke today and went fishing. I bought 2 new Tiger rods for this season, last Thursday a friend broke the first one in with her first sturgeon that was a nice 40 incher.
Today I ended up breaking in the second rod with my first and second dino of the year
I forgot my tape in the truck but both were in the lower 50 inches. My back is reminding me how much fight they have! I got to chase a rattlesnake off the road on the way in and a badger on the way out, it was a good day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230518_094807.jpg (99.7 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 20230518_125821.jpg (44.6 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg 20230518_142939.jpg (29.7 KB, 397 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-18-2023, 08:22 PM

Great day, Wayne. Love the pics as always!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2023, 06:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Well done

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-19-2023, 01:54 PM

All your great post on these dino's always reminds me as a young teen when I would go with my older cousin and he had tags that allowed him to keep one of those critters. I can't recall how they tasted but I do remember having supper at their place in Taber and eating the Strugeons.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
All your great post on these dino's always reminds me as a young teen when I would go with my older cousin and he had tags that allowed him to keep one of those critters. I can't recall how they tasted but I do remember having supper at their place in Taber and eating the Strugeons.
You can buy farmed smoked sturgeon ( probably from Caspian sea) in European Market in Calgary. Tastes like halibut I would say?
Old 05-20-2023, 06:01 PM

managed a little 29 incher today in the smoke. also got to see newborn antelope twin fawns on the drive too that was great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230520_111442.jpg (30.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 20230520_122939[1].jpg (17.3 KB, 193 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-20-2023, 10:42 PM

Awesome pics Wayne!! You don't need to get that close to the snake

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-26-2023, 06:53 PM

Default may 26

caught a feisty 44 incher then a sharp little 22 incher today. river was up a bit but I could see rocks starting to appear so its dropping again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230526_134025[1].jpg (51.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 20230526_141415.jpg (73.3 KB, 128 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 05-28-2023, 06:16 PM

Default May 28

lots of irritating little goldeye around today, but I only hooked 1 fish, fortunately a 49 inch sturgeon I saw a few jump and one was big. the wandering garter showed up where I was fishing yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May2849inch.jpg (38.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20230528_154516may2823.jpg (33.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg gartersnake.jpg (66.9 KB, 167 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-04-2023, 06:41 PM

Default June4

The old man hit the Oldman today again, water is still dropping but not quite as fast as the Bow. Very slow day, saw a decent sturgeon caught across the river, from the yelling I believe it was over 50 inches I saw 2 jump, both Id estimate at over 5 feet! I managed to catch another, got wrapped in the line so I untangled it and let it burn off some energy before I brought it in to release. Exactly 48 inches, I guess I cant complain about it being the only one of the day then seemed most of the goldeye that were driving me crazy last week have moved on, only saw a few jumping today . I tried a couple new to me spots on the walk out, and found a beautiful big deep run and even had a sturgeon jump to show me where it was. Maybe next time I will fish my way down . all in all a beauty day, after the rain yesterday. sunny and shiny, gotta love it. *****ly pears are starting to bloom, so pointy and so beautiful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June423.jpg (51.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg june423b.jpg (72.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20230604_161313[1].jpg (80.2 KB, 104 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-21-2023, 07:54 PM

Default what a day June 21

fishing was very slow, the river low and clear. finally got a bite while I was walking around looking for rocks. Proof that things dont always go the way we want, but exciting still for me. I hooked and almost landed a big fish, Id guess well north of 5 feet, but it just wasnt to be. I did get a big goldeye and then finally landed a sturgeon, 49 1/2 inches, not the one I lost but still so much fun. Next time no camerawork all fighting the frikkin fish! cant seem to link the 3 vids so there are 3 short ones I will add the links.
https://youtube.com/shorts/k3RiBYShoyo
https://youtube.com/shorts/dY4Z7S5LYJg
https://youtu.be/iHozOpWHOJ8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230621_131458a.jpg (50.0 KB, 80 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-23-2023, 06:24 PM

Speaking of Dino's. My son and myself will be doing at trip to Lillooet BC to fish for the monsters. I won the trip through a raffle with The Alberta Bowhunters Association. We will be going with River Monster Adventures. We are both really pumped. 3 nights stay in their cabin and two full days with a guide and a jet boat. Told them I am looking forward to the sore arms, back and shoulders. LOL. I would like to thank them for pulling my name. I will try my best to post some pics for sure. We fish on the 12th and 13th of July, 9am to 5pm. Would be nice to hook a bigun' each. No matter. Will be a big time memory for both.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Speaking of Dino's. My son and myself will be doing at trip to Lillooet BC to fish for the monsters. I won the trip through a raffle with The Alberta Bowhunters Association. We will be going with River Monster Adventures. We are both really pumped. 3 nights stay in their cabin and two full days with a guide and a jet boat. Told them I am looking forward to the sore arms, back and shoulders. LOL. I would like to thank them for pulling my name. I will try my best to post some pics for sure. We fish on the 12th and 13th of July, 9am to 5pm. Would be nice to hook a bigun' each. No matter. Will be a big time memory for both.
Thats awesome. also a dream of mine I was hoping to do that with my sons but it just wasnt feasible. I hope they get you on pignose! Used to talk to the guy from that company back when I still used crackbook seems like good people.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-25-2023, 07:56 AM

How would any of the AO members consider a fair gratuity for the fishing trip? Any suggestions would help for sure. I realize they are doing all the work to get us on fish. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
How would any of the AO members consider a fair gratuity for the fishing trip? Any suggestions would help for sure. I realize they are doing all the work to get us on fish. Thanks for your input.
Everyone has different opinions on this and when I guided I told clients a tip should be whatever you feel is fair for the experience and effort you feel I put in to make that day happen

I actually appreciated the gifts I got like rods, knives and other stuff more then the cash myself. I also remembered those clients more when that item was something I used all the time

I hate the whole you must tip and tip X% mentality

My opinion may not be popular but I say go with what you feel is right

I don’t know your guide but I do know that stretch of river and fished it long before it was popular or a guide existed. My opinion is there is some nice fish and much nicer area to fish than the lower Fraser
Old 06-25-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Thats awesome. also a dream of mine I was hoping to do that with my sons but it just wasnt feasible. I hope they get you on pignose! Used to talk to the guy from that company back when I still used crackbook seems like good people.
Wayne if you ever want to fish big white sturgeon in the lower Fraser and have a boat I would have no issue providing the information needed to be into some fish. No fancy jet boat needed just a respectable prop drive, a depth finder, and a good anchor

I may know where it find a fish or two in that stretch
Old 06-25-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Everyone has different opinions on this and when I guided I told clients a tip should be whatever you feel is fair for the experience and effort you feel I put in to make that day happen

I actually appreciated the gifts I got like rods, knives and other stuff more then the cash myself. I also remembered those clients more when that item was something I used all the time

I hate the whole you must tip and tip X% mentality

My opinion may not be popular but I say go with what you feel is right

I don’t know your guide but I do know that stretch of river and fished it long before it was popular or a guide existed. My opinion is there is some nice fish and much nicer area to fish than the lower Fraser
Thanks Smoky. Appreciate your input.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I was with River Monsters 2 years ago, it was unforgettable experience, total of 10 sturgeon caught in one day, no monsters but 7’8 was biggest and it still was almost an hr fight with it. We tipped 100$ and Nick is the best guide you can get - knows river and sturgeon like his backyard and his puppies lol.