Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-24-2023, 05:08 PM

Default Hunting bush bucks 2023 it never ends

It’s that time again and things are already looking interesting. Do to this year’s fire season and fishing I don’t have many cams out yet. But in all honesty I already have a plan in mind it’s just a matter of checking out the options before I commit to it.

This year it looks like it will be my buddy from Calgary again, my wife’s cousin, a buddy who used to help me with waterfowl, my wife and I this year. But there maybe be a substitution if someone backs out

Today I checked the cams I set out and 3 of my buddies today. Some are set to just see if certain bucks are around and the rest are all new locations. There is locations we basically plan to hunt but have not set a cam there yet. Mostly I am testing new areas I scouted during the season or late spring right now

So let’s get into today’s findings

First up is a buck from a new spot I helped my buddy find

Next two bucks are from a location I have known for a while but not truly dug into. We set two cams on different pinch points to try and narrow down the best ambush point. My wife really likes this spot and I will likely set it up for her

Now for those who have followed past threads you may remember a wide 10pt I have known about for 2 seasons that would never show up in daylight. Well last year late in the season my wife encountered him multiple times in daylight so I am checking his usual area to maybe make a play on him. So far it’s theses to in the area

Next in line is an area I found during last season after I tagged out. This buck has been showing up a fair amount

This is a new location I scouted early spring and this is the first buck with potential

And last but not least an old friend showed up on my buddies cam. I found this buck last year and he is a roamer. I set a stand last year as a gamble on an area with high doe numbers in hopes to find him and other nice bucks nearby. This buck appeared at that location as the main buck for the last 3 weeks of the season but I was tagged out. I am going to make a play in the same spot crossing my fingers he holds the same routine for the rut

He has definitely grown this year and is still growing. I don’t like fixating on one buck but I think I am going to target that area whenever the wind allows

Here he is In velvet last year for comparison

I am just getting started and things are looking promising already. Got 2 more cams out but half are still sitting at home. Going to check out more new areas before falling back on spots I know should hold bucks

Let the games begin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2023, 07:23 PM

Great thread as always!

I wish I could put a honing device on you -- you have some great animals to keep an eye on. That last buck is a noooo brainer.

Best of luck this season.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Great thread as always!

I wish I could put a honing device on you -- you have some great animals to keep an eye on. That last buck is a noooo brainer.

Best of luck this season.
I have a co worker that threatens to put an air tag on my truck

The biggest thing guys should take from my threads is get out there and learn your area. If any hunter puts in the work they can locate good quality bucks for their area too. What is seen in my threads is just getting out there scouting learning my area, paying attention to trends and patterns that expose themselves overtime

I am really just a guy who runs around in the bush a lot looking for deer. I make guesses according to what I find and test my theory. Trust me I have been wrong lots but I learn from it and adjust that is the key

As for that tackle box of a droptine he is one that checks all the boxes for me. I appreciate a big character buck then a high scoring typical. A big unique deer that stands out compared to others is something special. Add in some history with a deer it means more too

That droptine would be a taxidermy bill but at this time he is no more than a bush phantom that I know exists
Old 07-25-2023, 08:55 PM

Smoky those pics of the droptine are from 4 to 5 years ago, if the pic date-stamps are correct?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-26-2023, 12:41 AM

^ Was going to post after looking at the first few pics, the man finally updated his dates and times. Looks like he still has ways to go! Lol.

Good luck this season, Smoky! Surely the thread will be as good as others have been in the few years past. I am still trying to figure out in my head what I am going to do this season. Number one on the list is to pick up a camera I left last November in the area that hopefully didn’t burn (I think it did, but hopefully not far enough to set the camera up in flames, lol). It was a new camera too, so hopefully (if it didn't burn), it did take some pictures - I didn't really test it much before tying it to a tree.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:28 AM

The only time the date and time is correct on any cams is because my wife took the time to set it lol. I have a decent number of new cams as I am slowly transferring to all no glow cams and the wife sets up cams as I drive between locations

I have mentioned in past threads for my self I am just watching for daylight movement and how often the deer show up between checks. Plus my one buddy is completely OCD about it so it drives him crazy I don’t set my cams so I get enjoyment annoying him with random dates on my cam pics

I think I still have one camera that says it’s 12:00 on every pic it takes too
Old 07-26-2023, 05:31 AM

Looking forward to your stories sir...
Old 07-26-2023, 10:12 AM

You know hunting season is close when Smoky Buck starts posting! Looking forward to your updates SB!

Old 07-26-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
You know hunting season is close when Smoky Buck starts posting! Looking forward to your updates SB!

So true!
Old 07-26-2023, 10:22 AM

Great thread and best of luck
I have a question, How often do you go and scout the area and check the trail cameras, some folks said that If I go too often that will acutely ruin the area that I am planning to hunt in and cause all the deers to relocate, is this true ?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2023, 01:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post

He plays with us outdoors people, still putting the smack down on fish, two more long trips planned and now I am sorting out hunting gear and not even frost on the ground....dam him

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM

I see by the pics you have an assortment of cams too.
Is there any that you prefer or recommend, make and models?
I have several different makes and models and I have been happy with the latest ones I have bought, Bushnell and Browning. battery life is excellent so far too.
Happy scouting.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofa View Post
Great thread and best of luck
I have a question, How often do you go and scout the area and check the trail cameras, some folks said that If I go too often that will acutely ruin the area that I am planning to hunt in and cause all the deers to relocate, is this true ?
Thanks in advance
Umm I never really stop scouting but I do cover a large area. I hunt 3 different WMUs but I do have preferred pockets I key in on. That said I don’t apply a lot of pressure on a small location when I scout. If a section of bush catches my interest I usually just hike the hell out of it looking for sign and ambush points for a day. If It looks like it holds potential I set up a cam or return to set up a cam at another time. If I didn’t find anything I felt was worth hunting but there was good sign I will look for areas close by and start over

As soon as I set a cam in a location I stop stomping around looking for sign.

Cam checks can vary depending on time available or what I think of the area. If it’s a new area I may start out with once a week. If the area shows bucks with potential on multiple checks I back off to maybe once a month at times. Sometimes if I like a spot I move the camera away from my chosen ambush point to a trail closer to the road they bucks still use. Once I commit to setting a stand I also cut back check times. Often after a stand is set I back out but check just before the season. Some areas I set cams in I know the bucks don’t arrive till closer to the rut so I may not set a cam till September and just check it at random. Areas I have history with I do things differently again at times

When I check cams I literally hike straight in no concern on noise but it’s in download photos and straight out

Overall yes I my opinion if you apply too much pressure to an area you can push out deer and older bucks are less tolerant. I take this into consideration and handle it differently depending on the situation
Old 07-26-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
He plays with us outdoors people, still putting the smack down on fish, two more long trips planned and now I am sorting out hunting gear and not even frost on the ground....dam him
Oh I am far from done with fishing. I am even doing research into fishing trips for next year

You need to learn how to multitask
Old 07-26-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
I see by the pics you have an assortment of cams too.
Is there any that you prefer or recommend, make and models?
I have several different makes and models and I have been happy with the latest ones I have bought, Bushnell and Browning. battery life is excellent so far too.
Happy scouting.
In the past I ran mostly stealth cam but I found the newer ones the quality declined. I had multiple newer cheap stealth cameras go crazy snapping pics every min till the camera died. The nonstop clicking blew deer out too. I also started to realize that in situations cameras that glow had a negative impact if set up on scrapes where bucks were stationary and staring at the camera. Not an issue on paths they cross passed outside of the line of sight though

I have killed a few cams over the years lol

At this point I am slowly switching to no glow/low glow cams. The Bushnell and Cabelas cameras are affordable options that others I know have had good results with. There is likely better options but I am a cheap bugger so trying to get the best bang for my buck
Old 07-27-2023, 07:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Oh I am far from done with fishing. I am even doing research into fishing trips for next year

You need to learn how to multitask
Multitask was what I use to do ohhh way too much but now I rely on past intel which fortunately hasn't changed too much over the years.

Little pockets of critters that are undisturbed for the most part in which we run into each other to say hi and one ends up in the freezer.

My cameras will go out in September unless for whatever reason I need to hit up another area(s) then and only then is it back to multitasking

Good luck and keep those beauty pics coming

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2023, 11:55 AM

That last buck Smoky has it all. Crab claws, double brows, a big drop................................OOOOOH BABY!!! Love that one!!!

BH

Old 08-03-2023, 08:06 PM

I did mange to get a few more cams out and check 3 before heading back to work tomorrow

First up is a cam set for my buddy from Calgary. He had a cam there for a short period last year but he pulled it early in hopes of finding a nicer buck. The area is mixed mature timber with an active communal scrape. I told him he made a mistake pulling his cam seeing what came in for the rut because of the number of does, a communal scrape and I know the area holds good genetics. So this year he is leaving the cam till the end of November if he chooses to hunt the area or not. I am expecting something nice to show up during the rut. But for now this guy is hanging around

Next up is a location I scouted in early spring. It is an area most would just drive past as it’s thick bush off of a busy main road within 1km of the hwy. I found a scrape line down below the main road/hwy so the terrain helps keep things safe. In 7day just shy of 200 deer pics so not a bad start. So far this is the biggest buck

Last but not least this area an area with limited access and consists mostly of spread out large mature timber rolling hills. This is an area I have high hopes for with the sign in the area. First cam check was a flop do to a bear screwing with the cam so I added a second farther in. Bear hit the same cam again but I got pics off the one farther in. A respectable looking 10pt or 4x4 for those who complained about my point counting last lol

Old 08-03-2023, 10:08 PM

Looking good Smoky. You going to spend any time chasing those elk you found last year?
Old 08-04-2023, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
Looking good Smoky. You going to spend any time chasing those elk you found last year?
Funny you say that I am actually finding elk in new areas this year too. I may make a few attempts this year but I am not going to see a lot of free time in September. At this time elk are something I am still figuring out and I have a lot of learning to do

One thing is I am finding about 80% bulls before the season and come September they are gone. Only a few areas seem to hold elk come September. I need to figure out where the cows are hiding more so is what I am thinking. I am starting to have a good idea on the bush that is more “elky” and the large area that holds them more so. There is a few new spots that I predict would hold elk and all have had elk on cam now

I have 2 areas that have proven to hold elk during open season for sure. One area is possible to be hunted from the ground the other needs a stand and offers low odds in my opinion

Other issue is calling basically I choke/gag on reeds and can make them sound right. I also don’t have much confidence in the calling I can do

Even though I am starting to understand the elk more between my lack of skill as an elk hunter and still figuring out where they are during hunting season I think I will need a lot of luck to tag one
Old 08-04-2023, 04:42 AM

I erased most of the elk pics but here is some bulls from recent checks

Old 08-04-2023, 12:09 PM

Really enjoy seeing the pictures. Keep them comin!

Gotta chime in on the point count. Counting all the tines is what we used to call "Eastern count"- and he is a 10 point. "Western count" he is a 5x5 (brow tines on a Whitetail count). If he were a Mule Deer he would be a 4x4 with brow tines, making him a 5X5....

Not that it matters but, I think to many, that Whitetail is a 5X5 - and a really nice one at that!
Old 08-04-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I erased most of the elk pics but here is some bulls from recent checks

>>
These boys are almost ready to shed and have the games begin aren't they. Great pics here and you too SB!!
Old 08-04-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Really enjoy seeing the pictures. Keep them comin!

Gotta chime in on the point count. Counting all the tines is what we used to call "Eastern count"- and he is a 10 point. "Western count" he is a 5x5 (brow tines on a Whitetail count). If he were a Mule Deer he would be a 4x4 with brow tines, making him a 5X5....

Not that it matters but, I think to many, that Whitetail is a 5X5 - and a really nice one at that!
I have hear all three counting methods. When I grew up in BC no one counted brow tines but most were mule deer hunters for the most part

I personally just don’t worry about it and roll with whatever I hear being used. All I need to really know is doe, little buck, meh buck, decent buck, huge buck and holly crap shoot shoot
Old 08-04-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
These boys are almost ready to shed and have the games begin aren't they. Great pics here and you too SB!!
Should be close but my elk knowledge is limited

All I know is most of these elk will disappear on me soon lol
Old 08-04-2023, 01:12 PM

Based on what you've done to this point, SB. I am sure that before long you will have them dialed in. Enjoy the heck out of seeing your pics.
EDIT:
Sorry Smoky Buck, for some reason I didn't realize those Bull pics were yours. Man, you'll get on em!
Old 08-09-2023, 09:07 PM

I checked 3 cams today and decided to set one where I shot my buck last year. I was going to wait till I checked more cams but I am pretty happy with how things are going

So before settling my cams this year the goal was to relocate a few bucks I know of. One being the droptine with split brows and he has been found another is the wide 10

2 more bucks on my list one doesn’t appear till close to the rut and the other is a true phantom that I only have two pics of

Well the 10 has shown up in his normal area in daylight surprisingly. He too has grown and now has split g2s and a split g3

On the right

This might be a year I eat my tag trying to go all out

Old 08-09-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I checked 3 cams today and decided to set one where I shot my buck last year. I was going to wait till I checked more cams but I am pretty happy with how things are going

So before settling my cams this year the goal was to relocate a few bucks I know of. One being the droptine with split brows and he has been found another is the wide 10

2 more bucks on my list one doesn’t appear till close to the rut and the other is a true phantom that I only have two pics of

Well the 10 has shown up in his normal area in daylight surprisingly. He too has grown and now has split g2s and a split g3

On the right

This might be a year I eat my tag trying to go all out

If it were me, this would be my target buck, he is awesome.
enjoying your updates and photos as always SB. Looking forward to reading more and seeing more pics.

I hope you can make good use of that ladder stand. I'll be sitting in that blind that I swapped you for. I don't have any real great bucks showing up yet though. Looking forward to my elk hunt first though.

Cheers.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:54 PM

Those two are worth that for sure
Old 08-09-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
If it were me, this would be my target buck, he is awesome.
enjoying your updates and photos as always SB. Looking forward to reading more and seeing more pics.

I hope you can make good use of that ladder stand. I'll be sitting in that blind that I swapped you for. I don't have any real great bucks showing up yet though. Looking forward to my elk hunt first though.

Cheers.
This guy and the drop tine are high on the list. I will set stands for both and target the location that is best for the conditions. I also believe in giving rest periods to keep pressure low too

I started my scouting with plans to try and target these two. I will still have back up plans

Good luck on the elk