Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-12-2016, 09:24 AM

Default Hide turned back into rawhide

I'm about to lose my mind.

I worked my fox hide until it was soft almost everywhere except the face, but it had a bunch of cuts in it, so I wet it down and stitched up the holes. I also stretched the places where the hide had still been tough to try to get them a little more supple, and then I hung it to dry.

When it dried it turned right back into rawhide, tougher then when I started working with it.

I don't understand - after using a tanning solution and breaking up the fibers, how did it go back to being rawhide? Shouldn't a properly tanned hide be able to get wet because the fibers or proteins or whatever are all broken up?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Try rubbing the hide with neats foot oil. Smoke tanned hides will stay soft when they get wet.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-12-2016, 11:59 AM

There is allot more to tanning than rubbing the Orange botel of stuff into the hide. That's just a preserve in my mind.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 PM

A fox hide is not very thick and shouldnt need to be worked that hard..i suggest getting another and trying over ...get yourself a kit like ez-100 and follow the directions religously and forget about the orange bottle you will be much happier
Old 01-12-2016, 09:31 PM

Default Stiff hide

Work it until it's gone dry and it'll stay soft.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
A fox hide is not very thick and shouldnt need to be worked that hard..i suggest getting another and trying over ...get yourself a kit like ez-100 and follow the directions religously and forget about the orange bottle you will be much happier
x2 i've used ez 100 on a half dozen fox and they turned out great. the most important step to get a soft tan is the finishing with a good quality oil (although all the steps in the process contribute to a soft tan). i've used Liqua soft with good results. just be sure to follow instructions. ez 100 is a garment quality tan which means it will not cause any irritation to your skin if you are wearing the fur and its washable, most other products are not.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:15 AM

Great thanks!

Where do you get ez-100 from?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Vandyke taxidermy supply in the US carries it probly a bunch more also not sure if AAA in calgary does or not
Old 01-13-2016, 08:27 PM

Rubbing an oil into a green hide cell does nothing to "tan" it. What you're doing is kinda half arse preserving the skin. A true tan goes through a pickling process then a tannin applied after like Lutan F or aluminum sulphate.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
Rubbing an oil into a green hide cell does nothing to "tan" it. What you're doing is kinda half arse preserving the skin. A true tan goes through a pickling process then a tannin applied after like Lutan F or aluminum sulphate.
Very rite. Pickeling dissolves all non tanabel protines then the voids in the corium fibers are replaced by the tann which can consist of a bunch of different solutions. The tan is adhered properly by a slow ph adjustment to permently ad hear to the hide. There are water soluble oils that are applied to the hide when there is still a moisture content then the hide can be brought to a complete dry. If done properly my little girl can break the hide by hand in minutes. The tanning process turns the hide blanket soft an stay soft. This is just a brief explanation
Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Southwest- just curious where have you learned all of this? I am hoping to get into doing a little tanning and short of experience would like to know what my best resource would be? Thanks in advance