Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2015, 11:22 AM

Default arrow lake upper or lower

hi all planning a trip to arrow lake just wondering if the lower lake is better fishing than the upper for gerrards ...thanks
Old 09-11-2015, 02:08 PM

Smile

Not sure how the fishing is this year. But the first week of August we drove down from Revelstoke and crossed the Shelter Bay to Galena Bay ferry and also across the Neddles one. I have never ever in all my years seen that lake so low. It was at least 60 feet down. I'm sure it has come up a bit with the rain and snow that has fallen since then. But it will take a long time for it to come up to a reasonable level.

Not that the fish won't be there. They might even be more concentrated.

Just wish I was coming along. I was wanting to get back to there and put my boat in. Just not going to happen until spring now.

The gerards should be coming up to the surface for the kokanee. I would try bucktails if I were you. White/black, green/white, purple/white. Make sure if your tying your own that you add in some red by the throat.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:13 PM

I was at Upper about 2 weeks ago maybe 30km south of Nakusp. I didn't have my boat with me (was visiting a friend's family), but spent some time fishing from shore. Landed 3 gorgeous rainbows about 18" in a couple hours. And I agree - the water level is crazy low, which might have something to do with shore success...

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 PM

I fish lower regularly. Dragging hair 300 feet behind the boat should get you steady rainbow action in the 16 - 20" range which is extremely fun. However, most of the larger rainbows I've caught have been on plugs 50 - 80 feet down. My most recent experience with above average results was when I put a Lyman down to 80 feet and caught a 10.1 lb dolly (bull) within 30 seconds. Landed it and was putting the down rigger back down and got a 10.1 lb rainbow on the way down at 55 feet. Didn't even get it back down to 80'. Exact same weight. Rainbow was 4" shorter. That's the best I've ever done in 15 minutes while showing my Uncle how to use his new downriggers.

Beaton Arm on the Upper is very good for dollies. If ever we pull the boat up to Upper it's Beaton Arm for dollies.

Generally, I would say your chances are equally good at either Upper or Lower.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to fish bucktails and down riggers with plugs at the same time due to speed differential. 2.5 - 3.0 MPH on the surface for rainbows and maybe 1.5 - 2.0 MPH with plugs. Live targets and regular Hockey Sticks (Apex: not the "slow troll" ones) are effective at higher speeds and can be fished at hair speed.

Important: you want your bucktails at least 250 behind the boat. Smaller rainbows don't care but having planer boards can be more effective at coaxing the larger gerrards to hit your flies. They don't like prop wash and can sense it 100s of feet away; generally speaking. There's always exceptions.

4 inch plugs/hard baits are the best size for Arrow.

Put in the time and you should have success. Have fun.