Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2023, 07:52 AM

Default Tikka prefit barrel

I’m looking at ordering a tikka prefit from JC custom barrels. Anyone have any feed back on the company and quality?

Also if there are any other recommendations for a tikka prefit barrel in Canada let me no. Shouldered prefit not a barrel nut.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2023, 08:06 AM

I have a custom prefit from JC. It is on my Savage and has the barrel nut. Very accurate. Inside looks very good.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2023, 09:05 AM

I think IBI does prefits for them as well.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:06 AM

IBI at least on their website does them with a barrel nut. I want a shouldered prefit. Maybe I’ll call them and see.
Thx
Old 12-05-2023, 09:41 AM

KS Arms should be able to spin you up one if you give them a call.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:37 AM

My experience:

I have a 7 PRC Tikka prefit on order from JC. My neighbour bought a Tikka prefit in 280 AI from JC last spring and I bead blasted and installed it for him. Chamber and bore looked perfect to the eye. Headspace worked out perfectly when torqued to JC’s recommendation of 70 ft-lbs. The rifle can shoot tiny groups. What I like about the JC barrel is that it’s a shouldered prefit, so no ugly barrel nut or stock modifications, except perhaps the barrel channel if you change contours. JC’s #2 contour is very close to the Tikka lite. Overall I was impressed, especially if you’re a do-it-yourself guy.

You need a decent barrel vise and I bought an external Tikka action wrench from Paul Cook at PR Precision to avoid marking up my actions. Paul’s wrench is a thing of beauty. Soak your existing barrel thread area in Kroil for a week and the factory barrel should come off relatively easily.

If you have a much larger budget Proof Research carbon fiber prefits are readily available, but need an aftermarket or varmint stock.

I should add that I am a lefty and based on how slow Tikka has been coming out with the 6.5 PRC (no lefty in sight) I decided to get going on the 7 before I am too old to use it.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
My experience:

I have a 7 PRC Tikka prefit on order from JC. My neighbour bought a Tikka prefit in 280 AI from JC last spring and I bead blasted and installed it for him. Chamber and bore looked perfect to the eye. Headspace worked out perfectly when torqued to JC’s recommendation of 70 ft-lbs. The rifle can shoot tiny groups. What I like about the JC barrel is that it’s a shouldered prefit, so no ugly barrel nut or stock modifications, except perhaps the barrel channel if you change contours. JC’s #2 contour is very close to the Tikka lite. Overall I was impressed, especially if you’re a do-it-yourself guy.

You need a decent barrel vise and I bought an external Tikka action wrench from Paul Cook at PR Precision to avoid marking up my actions. Paul’s wrench is a thing of beauty. Soak your existing barrel thread area in Kroil for a week and the factory barrel should come off relatively easily.

If you have a much larger budget Proof Research carbon fiber prefits are readily available, but need an aftermarket or varmint stock.

I should add that I am a lefty and based on how slow Tikka has been coming out with the 6.5 PRC (no lefty in sight) I decided to get going on the 7 before I am too old to use it.
Thanks for sharing your experience and information
Old 12-06-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
IBI at least on their website does them with a barrel nut. I want a shouldered prefit. Maybe I’ll call them and see.
Thx
I wouldn't hesitate to do one with the barrel nut. That way you can play with the chamber a bit, and make it a bit more snug.
I did that on a 6.5 CM I shoot, and its been awesome.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to do one with the barrel nut. That way you can play with the chamber a bit, and make it a bit more snug.
I did that on a 6.5 CM I shoot, and its been awesome.
Any chance you could take a photo of your barrel with a close up of the barrel nut area ?
Old 12-11-2023, 09:45 AM

Hopefully this works for ya.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/album...ictureid=11975