Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Well my buddies, cousins, friends, brother by divorce, grandmother wants to hunt with a handgun during rifle season because she only has one arm and cannot hold a rifle.....lets make a special season for her

We don't want anyone to feel left out....

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Just an FYI..... This conversation has happened before.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...light=Crossbow

LC
Like I say conversation is advertisement. There is new people on here to learn the truth every day.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
......and yet you hunt the elk rut with your rifle?
Ya I do, and i am quite deadly with my gun......But know nothing about a 17 hmr, that Dakota was referring too...
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
So give in to every small group that wants to change something?

We don't have a real number, IMO we need that first...
not the issue at all, no group, its not about an association fighting for something....its about putting a tool where it fits due to straight up logic, that benefits everyone...except a few selfish ones trying to hang onto whatever little advantage of opportunity they think they have as long as possible

Quote:
Well my buddies, cousins, friends, brother by divorce, grandmother wants to hunt with a handgun during rifle season because she only has one arm and cannot hold a rifle.....lets make a special season for her

LC
Well it is a firearm. haha
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:

LC
But it's effective accuracy is less than a bow.... So we should put it in with the archery season.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All bow hunters are disabled..."right between the ears"...indicated by this thread which is amusing and fits right in with my disability...
Easy now I am a bow hunter also and not every bow hunter has the same opinion.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
But it's effective accuracy is less than a bow.... So we should put it in with the archery season.
Then all the crossbow hunters would quit.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Are you giving me the silent treatment potty you have not addressed any of my recent questions addressed to you?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
No shooting, just talked about it. You showed me in front of the archery range.. No bow in hand... But visualization and great acting on your demonstration on your part..... It was eye opening..
roger that, I was having a tough time remembering that, time fly's now I suppose I possibly met you first time before I was even married...damn, now my oldest is in kindergarten and your not far behind me so time gonna fly for you too soon, I can already see i'll blink and they'll be getting drivers liscenses, anyhow, glad I could be of some assistance, thanks for returning it via the crossbow descriptions

I guess if guys wanna whack stuff from vehicles they figure it out, gun easiest but i'd assume the verticle bow easier than the crossbow but reality might just be splitting hairs after thinking about the sunroof/turret option ha ha....the bipod could come in handy there....maybe even a pool noodle(in camo of course) for the in cab guys?

end of day its all moot as we are talking about hunting, not poaching, the tool inclusion will not instantly create a bunch of poachers, what it will do is in the very first season it is included with archery gear is it will create a bunch of believers that it is indeed a bow and you indeed bowhunt with it, however, as all places in the continent that allowed it found out, bunch of people running out thinking its like getting a gun to hunt the early season and then end of season bunch of crossbows for sale lol....nothing new and guaranteed with the amount of ignorance we have in this province still about this tool....same thing will happen here....we are simply just holding out, I have faith in the logic, such an easy argument to win with all that proof out there from all over the continent....just a matter of time, much smarter people than me will get it done imo
Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Another "exactly" from me...we need another Alberta vote and see where the dust settles... and then we can all and hunt in harmony
might take a couple more votes before the truth about the tool sinks into our hunt community enough but it did pretty good its first vote imo so we can't be too far behind on it
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardbias View Post
then all the crossbow hunters would quit.
lol
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Iiiii'mmmm Baaaaack!
So you say that you seen three different offenders shooting crossbows from trucks not saying if they hit there intended target.
You say each one was charged which raises a red flag to me.
I have reported guys shooting rifles from trucks and the fish and wildlife officer did not show much interest because he can't do much without catching them red handed. And these days there spread out so thin there is many calls that are low present age of catching the guys in the act they pick and choose what they respond to. Now it's impressive that all three guys were charged and even more impressive that they let you know the outcome because I have never received a call back. So your statement is that crossbows are bad because poachers use them well I hate to break it to you there is much more efficient weapons to poach with. Did you see any one shooting a rifle out of there truck because as is the truth that is much more common to see as there is a huge amount of rifle hunters as compared to cross bow hunters?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Are you giving me the silent treatment potty you have not addressed any of my recent questions addressed to you?
Nope...

I meant reported, only one got confirmed convicted...read all the posts........
Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
I stated this earlier but it applies to you as well.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
That's funny! And probably true..well most of them...lol
Old 05-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Nope...

I meant reported, only one got confirmed convicted...read all the posts........
Sorry I went with the last one because it was the most updated version.
My Bad.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Easy now I am a bow hunter also and not every bow hunter has the same opinion.
x2, i'm a bowhunter too but he does have a point, a good whack of bowhunters get pretty elitist

that's the biggest part of why I stick my nose in, just stickin up for the little innocent guy here (the crossbow) and not a fan of elitism attitudes in any aspects of life nevermind hunting, crossbow not the monster its made out to be, no threat to me and my bowhunting in any way, be good way to get the kids started though(or any newbie really), yes you can with verticle bows, no argument there....but why not spend more time teaching them to be better bowhunters at first and work on the archery stuff later on...all win win, for the game too, I personally would utilize a x-bow in this way, wouldn't use one to hunt with myself because I love the compound, but a one size fits all size/strength bow would be a perfect introduction tool as get the basics of bowhunting down more thoroughly before mixing in the archery side
Old 05-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I stated this earlier but it applies to you as well.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
Phht just joking around boss. Who crowned you kingbuzzkill?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Guys that wanna hunt with crossbows in archery season remind me of guys that ride those three wheeled spyder things.
Yep and us two wheeled individuals will have to accept this as will the traditional bow hunters accepted the modern bow hunter and now the cross bow hunters...just don't have to like it but makes for a good thread!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That's funny! And probably true..well most of them...lol
Am I missing something quit what.
Complaining
Crossbow hunting
Bugging the ABA
Our day job
Please be more clear so us crossbow sympathizers can understand.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Phht just joking around boss. Who crowned you kingbuzzkill?
Oh did you take offence to that? Wonder why?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Yep and us two wheeled individuals will have to accept this as will the traditional bow hunters accepted the modern bow hunter and now the cross bow hunters...just don't have to like it but makes for a good thread!
This is a good thread. I have never really gave the crossbow hunter side a thought until i started following this. I still dont think they should be allowed to hunt in archery, but they are more than welcome to discuss it. If they organized and did bring about some change i would stand behind them. Just because I disagree with my fellow outdoors people does not me i wont support them in there causes.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
might take a couple more votes before the truth about the tool sinks into our hunt community enough but it did pretty good its first vote imo so we can't be too far behind on it
This isn't going to turn into a Quebec referendum thing is it??!!

Hold a vote every couple years looking for the answer you want, costing taxpayers a tonnes of money to find out that what was decided before still holds true?

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
That just sounds lazy or a easy out.. And I know that's not the reason. You shoot a rifle, it will take you no time at all to learn how to shoot a bow... Heck, I bet you even get addicted like most.... Try it. I bet you would actually be pretty good at it.... 5-10 min a day and you would great... Less time than it takes to drive to the gun range.
Yea.... there alot of things that take priority over learning how to shoot a bow, and it's not like I haven't tried, I do have one, and no I am not addicted, nor will I be. Just don't have the skill set to get good enough to hunt with it. Now a cross bow....... shot those too, and I could hunt with confidence with one once I sighted it in in the fall, much like my rifle........ but you don't want me too because it is an improvement on how you do things........

Last edited by Dakota369; 05-23-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Oh did you take offence to that? Wonder why?
Jeez next your gonna take my milk money. Naw ive got thick skin, ill live.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Those missing the point are those that think a Cross Bow is archery.
It's funny how we don't see crossbows being used in the general seasons where they are permitted.
I have yet to see 1 person with a crossbow during the general seasons , however I have seen many bowhunters with Traditional bows, and compounds hunting in the general seasons.
How many pro crossbow posters are involved in the guiding industry, where allowing crossbows would increase revenue for them? and how many are involved in the Crossbow industry where stirring the pot with these threads might be good for business?
Pete
Well, Pete, I have taken mine out in general seasons. But then our general season is looooooooong up here .
Honestly though, I haven't taken a shot with it at any game critters. But if I'd had my rifle I could have taken several deer, they were just a little too far away for the crossbow. But then, I'm one of those hunters that enjoys 'hunting', not 'killing'. I've also taken my recurve out during general seasons, when I could shoot it (prior to an elbow injury that has prevented me from using it well). I suspect I'll be taking the crossbow out again this upcoming general season. Hmm, maybe this season I'll pack the rifle and the crossbow along on the same excursions, use the crossbow if the range is short (under 40 yards) and the rifle for longer shots . That way I might just have opportunity to fill up the freezer instead of hanging tags on the Christmas tree.

When I have my recurve or crossbow I'm archery / bow hunting due to very similar techniques and strategies being applied and practiced; actually there is a slight difference - my crossbow allows me to shoot up to 40 yards comfortably, my recurve limit is 25 yards max!

When I have my rifle it's a whole different 'game'.

P.S. I'm not in the guiding industry, at least not in the sense you mean it. Neither do I have any vested interest in any business whereby crossbows being allowed in Alberta's archaic archery defined seasons would be of financial benefit to me .
Old 05-23-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
This is a good thread. I have never really gave the crossbow hunter side a thought until i started following this. I still dont think they should be allowed to hunt in archery, but they are more than welcome to discuss it. If they organized and did bring about some change i would stand behind them. Just because I disagree with my fellow outdoors people does not me i wont support them in there causes.
Ok well said, you can have your milk money.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
That was an great post that is what I call an open mind. Even though there is an disagreement there is still understanding. Gives me a reminder to be a little more like that. No I'm not kissing butt it was a polite post.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Wow! Now we are talking about crossbows being shot from inside a truck!? That, I would like to see!

This thread is as awesome as the last one.
I'd really like to see that done! Maybe possible with some of the compact compound versions, but it'd be absolutely impossible with my Excalibur recurve crossbow.

Although, in thinking about dumb things to try, maybe I should go home and try it, I've got a truck and a crossbow. .................. nah, I don't know how I could even draw it and put a bolt on the rail, let alone hold it up so it wouldn't have interference from the seats, door frame, windows, etc. And how the bleep would ya get it out the window to take a shot from the driver's seat?????

Tell us Potty, you seen to have some insight into it, having witnessed it done.