Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2022, 12:48 PM

Default Barn repair.

Figured I’d put a feeler out on here. My folks have an enormous hip roof barn that has a pile of history attached to it from the area. They screwed the pooch a touch on keeping up with the roof and there’s some water damage/rot that has occurred on one corner. The barn was built by an ex ship builder so the super structure is akin to a ship turned upside down. They are having a time finding someone willing and competent in undertaking this repair. If anyone on here has a direction to point a guy, it would be much appreciated. Location is north of Tofield.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Figured I’d put a feeler out on here. My folks have an enormous hip roof barn that has a pile of history attached to it from the area. They screwed the pooch a touch on keeping up with the roof and there’s some water damage/rot that has occurred on one corner. The barn was built by an ex ship builder so the super structure is akin to a ship turned upside down. They are having a time finding someone willing and competent in undertaking this repair. If anyone on here has a direction to point a guy, it would be much appreciated. Location is north of Tofield.
Try the local historical society, there are people who make a thing of this.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-26-2022, 07:25 PM
Banned

There might be someone who can point you in the right direction, not far from you at the Ukrainian Cultural Center. I'm sure you know where it is, on #i6..
Old 03-26-2022, 07:55 PM

On a long shot you could try contacting a local log home builder. It would be a small odd job for them and they have all the equipment already. They might not be interested but you never know.

Not sure if he retired yet but try calling Dave at Angel Log Homes in Edmonton.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-26-2022, 08:09 PM

https://www.salvagesolutions.ca/about

I have never dealt with them personally
Old 03-27-2022, 06:57 AM

Talk to the Hutterites, I’m sure they would know a thing or two about barns.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:56 AM

Thank you for the replies guys. There’s a couple avenues I was unaware of. Historical Society was contacted years ago. The barn was moved from its original location 35ish years ago. They aren’t interested as it isn’t “original”.

Tried two Hutterite colonies over the last couple years. Hourly rate and equipment needed were provided but no actual estimate. I realize that it could be a plus/minus type repair but without any sort of working estimate from them, I’d be a little leery too.

The Ukrainian centre has some serious merit as a source. Hadn’t given any consideration to a log builder either. I will do some digging. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:24 AM

It is hard to provide a accurate estimate for this type of repair. If you want a firm figure Any contractor would have to bid high just to protect themselves. I would suggest the Hutterites as they a generally honest brokers, just get a refrance or two on few previous similar jobs. You can control the cost/plus by being site manager.