Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM

delete i know ythe answer its illegal my bad sorry
Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Where is it illegal to shoot crows?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailman View Post
delete i know ythe answer its illegal my bad sorry
Maybe if your doing it in town limits...........joke.

Crows are considered a pest like gophers. No season, no bag limit.
Just a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM

serious i am getting told its illegal......
Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailman View Post
serious i am getting told its illegal......
Totaly legal in good old Alberta....u are in province?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

By who? The regs say you can use an Electric call for them. Shoot away.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Crows are not illegal from the best of my knowledge. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to shoot ravens (I know this is true in B.C. not sure about Alberta). Ravens are a native species and crows are introduced, so make sure you know which is which. Crows are considered a pest, so I believe there is no problem province-wide, barring any other restrictions. You could always phone a fish and wildlife office for absolute clarification.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
and crows are introduced,
I think your wrong, Crows are native to the Americas.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Maybe if your doing it in town limits...........joke.

Crows are considered a pest like gophers. No season, no bag limit.
Just a heck of a lot of fun.
Fun. You think it's fun to shoot one of the most intelligent birds on the planet. That's just not right man. You need to do some soul searching because killing things for fun makes you walk the path between sanity and something else. It's not a good road to walk.

M.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM

I hunted with a farmer last year who dumped his gun shooting at a couple of crows that were tailing some big canadas. When i asked him why, he cursed for 2 minutes straight then spat on the ground....i explained the calf situation, the god awful noise they make, and their taste for song birds.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM

Maybe crows, but I draw the line at ravens- my absolute favorite bird. They can live to be 20, show significant intelligence, and exhibit play behaviour - I can sit on a mountainside and watch them goof around in the thermals for hours. Also - they have often led me to where the moose are bedded

Ravens and coyotes have an interesting relationship - and a schmucked coyote will draw in ravens from miles around. The big birds hop around and are super excited over a coyote carcass - preferring it to deer carcasses or anything else. Coyote meat seems like catnip to ravens - don't know why.

To a lesser degree, I find the same thing with magpies and deer. If I come across a big opening and there's magpies playing around in one corner - that's where I'll look for deer first.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=thumper;590306] They can live to be 20, show significant intelligence, and exhibit play behaviour - - QUOTE]

I believe they can live to be twice that and they look quite stunning mounted
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM

I've seen them harass bald eagles. Two or three crows will dive bomb/tail an eagle to either steal fish or just for the 'fun' of it. They can be extremely cruel birds when they desire. They are also incredibly intelligent and very plucky. They use to outsmart (not incredibly hard to do with the characters I worked with) a team of deckhands at the fishing lodge I worked at and would often be found gorging themselves on salmon eyes/scaps.

Should you witness the injury or death of a crow in the company of other crows you will be treated to the most awful blood-curdling shrieks ever heard. No sound has ever disturbed me more than 100 crows calling out to their brethren in distress. A truly haunting experience, something very Hitchcock-esque.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM

When I was in Inuvik, I used to watch the same three Ravens get filled on dog food every day. Two of the Ravens would distract the Husky, who's dogfood dish it was, while the third one had his fill. Then they would switch positions, and the next one would eat while the other two distracted the dog. This continued until all three had had their fill. They would stay just out of reach of the dog, who was chained, and drive him insane. I used this as cheap entertainment every day and lmao. One of the birds gave me a heart attack almost every morning because he would walk down the roof of my mobile home (tin roof) and drag his claws. I swear to God it sounded like Freddie Kruger was coming to get you.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I've seen them harass bald eagles. Two or three crows will dive bomb/tail an eagle to either steal fish or just for the 'fun' of it. They can be extremely cruel birds when they desire. They are also incredibly intelligent and very plucky. They use to outsmart (not incredibly hard to do with the characters I worked with) a team of deckhands at the fishing lodge I worked at and would often be found gorging themselves on salmon eyes/scaps.

Should you witness the injury or death of a crow in the company of other crows you will be treated to the most awful blood-curdling shrieks ever heard. No sound has ever disturbed me more than 100 crows calling out to their brethren in distress. A truly haunting experience, something very Hitchcock-esque.
A good shot can wing them and let them scream in otrher targets - so I'm told.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post

I believe they can live to be twice that and they look quite stunning mounted
Yes, yes they do!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Really bad carma to shoot a raven!!!!!Surprised none of the aboriginals havn't spoke up yet lol,,oh ,,guess one just did. Those of you who have magpie troubles its real easy to make a large live trap that gets lots of them at once. 4ft x4ft wire cage with a 6 in. hole on the top with a wire tunnel going down, neck this down to about 4in. But dog food or old meat under the tunnel, they will drop in and tuck their wings to get in but can't fly back out. works gr8
Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims71duster View Post
Really bad carma to shoot a raven!!!!!Surprised none of the aboriginals havn't spoke up yet lol,,oh ,,guess one just did. Those of you who have magpie troubles its real easy to make a large live trap that gets lots of them at once. 4ft x4ft wire cage with a 6 in. hole on the top with a wire tunnel going down, neck this down to about 4in. But dog food or old meat under the tunnel, they will drop in and tuck their wings to get in but can't fly back out. works gr8
And then you turn it over to Med River to relocate it. Magpies are the cousin to the raven - it's not cool to shoot them either.