Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default Favorite fly rods???

What is or are your favorite fly rods and why?
Include favorite reels as well if you wish.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:27 PM

My favorite rod as of right now is my Sage One 590-4 with an Abel Super4N, Rio Grand 5wt. I got the One last year and am loving it.

Next is my Sage TCX 796-4, I just ordered a new reel, the Sage 4660, excited to get it, spooled with Rio indicator line.

For small stream cutts/bows my GL-NRX 9034LP is tonnes of fun! I have a Sage Click3 on it with SA Sharkskin line. Has not seen the sun in Months, can't wait for June.16th!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Sage z-axis 4-6wt. with sage 4500 series reel.
Sage txl 2 wt with sage click reel
Wayne
Old 03-16-2013, 02:38 PM

I build my own and right now my favorite is a 9' 6wt on a HMX blank, very nice casting rod. Finished another 9'6wt on a quickline blank, it's a tad slower but has a little more power, haven't had a chance to cast them side by side yet.

It would be interesting to compare them to a "good" rod, I suspect the difference would not be great. My only comparison is to an old Sage II rod I have, and the sage comes out a poor second, but it's 25 years old.

I have 2 Okuma SLV reels which I quit like, got them and three spools for cheap on Amazon.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Banned

Cool

Fenwick highlander 6-7 , covers so many species pike to pond trout. A little heavy for small stuff, prefect for every thing else. Good old phluger medalist fly reel. Good capacity good drag.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 PM

My faves are a 8' 3 wt 5 piece Custom DanCraft Five Rivers and a 9' 4 wt 6 piece Custom DanCraft Five Rivers. The 3 wt is my Oldman rod and the 4 wt is my backpacking rod.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM

winston 4wt 9' BIIMX with a hardy ultralite DD 4000 reel. Thing casts better then anything i've ever held before including my zaxis rods.

I've got a loop cross S1 9' 6wt on the way along with a loop runner... Test casting it at the expo was pretty impressive. Cant wait to see how it is when i put it to work.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
winston 4wt 9' BIIMX with a hardy ultralite DD 4000 reel. Thing casts better then anything i've ever held before including my zaxis rods.

I've got a loop cross S1 9' 6wt on the way along with a loop runner... Test casting it at the expo was pretty impressive. Cant wait to see how it is when i put it to work.
Thats impressive cause my next rod was gonna be the sage z-axis w/ a Hardy reel. Now I gotta check out the Winston.
Thanks for the added confusion now (joke)