Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 01:52 PM

60 years old donated for the first time last month very good experience

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2019, 01:52 PM

yes i donate, went to the wrong part of Mexico last winter(north of Puerto Vallarta) so have to wait until Feb 2020 for next donation
Old 12-29-2019, 02:39 PM

It is important that people donate blood, I used to donate on a regular basis until 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with leukemia, now I just give my 3 little vials every 30 days to monitor my blood counts and make sure the drugs are still doing their job.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:40 PM

I asked for and received a "diploma" for 90 donations. It proudly hangs on my bedroom wall.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:01 PM

I'm at about 16 or so donations. I tried to get them to do a "give a pint, get a pint" promotion with Molson's. They wouldn't go for it but donations would go through the roof.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:34 PM

I donated for many years and always felt good about it. I worked in emergency services and saw the need on many occasions. My blood is "O Neg" (universal donor) and in high demand.
Unfortunately got the "Big C" diagnosis in 2016 and had to stop.
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to all of you who do donate as you are saving lives and I appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:46 PM

My last donation was #64.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2019, 09:02 PM

My wife used to bring home out dated blood and use it to fertilize her roses. They really bloomed. Actually, not all blood goes directly into somebody's veins, a fair percentage is processed for plasma and other very useful products, just as vital. If you have type AB, you're fortunate enough to be able to receive any blood and type O has the most compatibility with other types and is know as the Universal donor.

I faint or did at having my blood taken, donation was never an option. Wife was in the business and I still remember the time she needed a standard for the auto analyzer and I was the only one handy, evening shift. She took the sample, one tube and headed for the front office. She heard the clunk when I fell off the chair and my head hit the concrete, all the way out there.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 12-29-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:03 PM

Default Give as often as you can.

Started donating in college (1986). Donated every time I could. ( Gave blood twice in one day for intramural points.... don’t do that).

Had a “false positive” test when I was posted to northern Alberta in the 90s.

Told then I could never donate again despite many tests to prove I was healthy.

There is now a program where Canadian Blood Services re-tests you if you had a false positive and may allow you to donate. (Pm if you have questions!)

I am now allowed to donate.

Living in Edmonton makes donating every 56 days a breeze. There is free parking for donors. The LRT stops right across the street. Get the blood ap it makes scheduling appointments simple. Keeps track of your stats. Helps you find clinics if you need that.

The staff at the clinic were all amazing and made me feel honoured for taking the time to donate.

Hope I never need it back.

Please donate if you are able to.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:29 PM
Banned

I did.

Then I went to donate plasma and they started talking to me like I was some kind of slave. Telling me if I donate plasma I can't go back to donating blood because they want me on their program and to be with them and that they need me to donate on a set schedule etc etc screw that and I told them where to go and how to get there. My blood my choice, I don't need those tools acting like they own me.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
I did.

Then I went to donate plasma and they started talking to me like I was some kind of slave. Telling me if I donate plasma I can't go back to donating blood because they want me on their program and to be with them and that they need me to donate on a set schedule etc etc screw that and I told them where to go and how to get there. My blood my choice, I don't need those tools acting like they own me.
I hope your schedule will allow you to receive it when you or someone close to you, needs it.....

As for the switching back to whole blood donations, that tidbit of information was wrong....You can go back to whole blood any time; you just can't jump back and forth and that is why they create a schedule....

BTW, thanks for the donations that you did provide.....Hope to see you back in the chair.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:30 AM

#41 yesterday . filled the questionnaire on line so it went smooth and fast
Old 12-31-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
I'm at about 16 or so donations. I tried to get them to do a "give a pint, get a pint" promotion with Molson's. They wouldn't go for it but donations would go through the roof.
i like the way you think
Old 12-31-2019, 11:44 AM

I have over 200 donations since 1970, mainly through the plasmapherisis clinic at the UofA.. I began in high school when two close friends who were hemophiliacs relied then on regular donations, and later on blood products from those donations. Comparing what it takes today to donate to the hours involved when I was younger, this is one of the simplest ways of giving back to your community.

Vic
Old 12-31-2019, 12:04 PM

I donated last week. It was very easy to do and helped someone else in need.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I hope your schedule will allow you to receive it when you or someone close to you, needs it.....

As for the switching back to whole blood donations, that tidbit of information was wrong....You can go back to whole blood any time; you just can't jump back and forth and that is why they create a schedule....

BTW, thanks for the donations that you did provide.....Hope to see you back in the chair.
I started donating after seeing what my mom went through when she had lymphoma so someone close to me already needed it.

Like I said, they treated me like I was a blood bank item, taking when they wanted, not even treating me like I was human. Typical of socialized healthcare, zero care for the patient/person.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
I started donating after seeing what my mom went through when she had lymphoma so someone close to me already needed it.

Like I said, they treated me like I was a blood bank item, taking when they wanted, not even treating me like I was human. Typical of socialized healthcare, zero care for the patient/person.
I donate here in Calgary and your experience is the furthest behavior than what happens here.

From the minute you walk into the Calgary clinic to register, to eating your soup and cookies, the CBS staff here nearly fall over themselves to ensure your donation was a pleasurable experience....and book you for your next appointment.

"Your blood your choice".....good luck

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:29 AM

I just did number 62 yesterday. have a running battle with one of the phlobotomists about politics. she is a raging liberal and one time after I finished the donation she asked me how I was feeling. I said a little bit light headed and dizzy, if there was election I would vote Liberal for sure. her smiled went upside down but she recovered with a " you girls watch out for this one" to the rest of the crew. she still smiles at me so its ok.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I donate here in Calgary and your experience is the furthest behavior than what happens here.

From the minute you walk into the Calgary clinic to register, to eating your soup and cookies, the CBS staff here nearly fall over themselves to ensure your donation was a pleasurable experience....and book you for your next appointment.

"Your blood your choice".....good luck
Could be different up in Edmonton. they also used to call me and beg for me to donate. Whatever blood type that 34% of the pop. uses that's what I have.