Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up Foggin’ Optics 101.

I am sure most of us have been there. “Hey look there is a .... let’s get a closer look!” Unfortunately it is cold and you get about 1.5 seconds of viewing pleasure before the fog of death rolls over your eyepiece. Do you have any tricks to prevent fogging/icing on your optics?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM

I find that exhaling thru the nose before they come up to the eyes helps me from fogging up my lenses.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM

I learned the hard way not to have anything covering the lower half of my face when I'm scoping something. Breath goes up and out right at the perfect level to fog up my glass. I've never lost an opportunity because of it but it's a lot less screwing around to unmask your face before scoping anything than to wipe all the fog off as the deer are walking by 25 yards away.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

if im sitting and my binos are to close to my body on a cold day they will fog up....never try to blow snow off when its cold, then dont try to whipe the moisture off, NEVER LEAVE YOUR 700$ BINOCULARS ON THE ROOF...they fall off and break really easy.....but for fogging near the eyes...eaither set your eye relief out all the way or in and allow space for air to pass by, not as steady but you can still see.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Banned

I can honestly say my binos pretty much never fog up unless I breath directly on them and ive hunted in every kind of temp. and weather.

Alot of guys I know use sunlight soap on there optics. Put a small amount on the lens then wipe it off with a drie cloth. Supposed to work great. Have heard of guys doing this with eyeglasses also.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 AM

There is a coating you can buy. You put a small dab on, wipe it around on each glass peice, then clean off with a paper towel. I am not too sure what it is called, but I'm sure that any store that sells glasses will have some, or know about it. It works great. Only time you will have to re-apply, is if they get wet.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Try to keep them at a constant temp. Don't carry them inside your jacket on a cold day etc. Even when I'm snowmobiling at -30 they stay outside on my chest.

tm