Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Gearing up for sturgeon fishing

I am not sure if I have to buy a new gear for sturgeon fishing. ( I am full aware that there is 0 limit) My fishing rod/line goes up 12LB. Do I need to buy braid line vs. mono?

Any help is appreciated! and thank you in advance.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I am not sure if I have to buy a new gear for sturgeon fishing. ( I am full aware that there is 0 limit) My fishing rod/line goes up 12LB. Do I need to buy braid line vs. mono?

Any help is appreciated! and thank you in advance.
I'm assuming your fishing the SSR or NSR, you can espect to tie into a fish weighing more than 20lbs but without teeth 20lb line would be plenty( I have caught them on 8lb mono)... I would spool some 20lb braided on. Your reel might be able to spool 150 yards of 12lb mono like most reels say they can handle. 20lb braided line has a thinner diameter so you can get more 20lb braided on there then 12lb mono.

Hope this helps
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM

What Steve says is true, you can get away with 20 lb. BUT, if you're going to braid, make sure your rod can handle it. I've seen a lot of rods where the braid has bit into the guide once you hook onto a big fish, when this happens its only a matter of time til the line goes snap. I find that spinning rods are more susceptible to this than casting rods. Please, do yourself and the fish a favor and get yourself a fairly heavy duty casting rod and baitcasting reel. What works for walleye and pike won't work if and when you ever hook into a 50 lb + sturgeon.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 PM

I agree with PDfish....for sturgeon gear, go big or go home. For sure use 20-30lb braid and a good level wind reel with a good heavy rod. The quicker you can get them in and release them, the better for the fish.

SH
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM

Thank you all, it looks like I will have to buy a new rod and reel.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
What Steve says is true, you can get away with 20 lb. BUT, if you're going to braid, make sure your rod can handle it. I've seen a lot of rods where the braid has bit into the guide once you hook onto a big fish, when this happens its only a matter of time til the line goes snap. I find that spinning rods are more susceptible to this than casting rods. Please, do yourself and the fish a favor and get yourself a fairly heavy duty casting rod and baitcasting reel. What works for walleye and pike won't work if and when you ever hook into a 50 lb + sturgeon.
x2, i use 20ib braided line and have caught some decent sturgeon without a problem.Also a good to have a good reel for braided line.