Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Sportsman Show Deals

So looks like there are a few boat and sportman shows coming up and I will be in the market for a new boat. Anyone ever buy one there? Do they give you as good of a deal as they make it seem or is it just so so? Am I better off trying to hagle with a dealership or buying from the show. Just want to try to maximize value. Any input is appreciated and if you dont want to share with the forum, feel free to PM me.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
So looks like there are a few boat and sportman shows coming up and I will be in the market for a new boat. Anyone ever buy one there? Do they give you as good of a deal as they make it seem or is it just so so? Am I better off trying to hagle with a dealership or buying from the show. Just want to try to maximize value. Any input is appreciated and if you dont want to share with the forum, feel free to PM me.
I'm totally in the same situation as you........i plan on buying a boat at the Calgary show next weekend. Just know what the price is usually for the make/model for the one you want and go with your game face on i guess (i don't have one im a chump!!!!) PM me on the type your looking at and who knows maybe we can twist a dealers arm on a 2 boat deal!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM
AO Sponsor

That 2 boat idea is smart. Even on top of the show deals it seems like they are still willing to haggle, especially since it seems Alberta economy isn't as hot as it was in the past (correct me if I'm wrong).
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Default Unbelievable

You would think the way things have kind of slowed down here...
Deals would be had. But you can still do better on certain brands by going out of province. ...boat show deals can be gotten any time....
Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Where would be some good places other than at boat shows to get a good deal on a boat?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

What kind of boat is everyone looking for?
I am heading to the Vancouver boat show as well..

Jamie
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM

I personally am looking for a Lund Impact 1775.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
I personally am looking for a Lund Impact 1775.
If you're looking for a Lund, call Kevin's Marine in Ft Qu'Appelle SK.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM

I am just finalizing a deal on a Lund 1800 Tyee.

Dealers here in town will become competitive ........ if you lead them.

Initial price was lowest at Nippawin Lund in SK, but the guy was so uninterested in pretending to even be remotely interested in my deal I couldn't get over it. Could care less to get me a timely quote, offer any assistance, or answer any of my questions with more than a "yup" or "nope" providing zero dialogue at all.

I got off the phone - walked down the hall at the office and vented with TROPHYPIKEHUNTER (who works with me). I was mad as hell.

I felt like I was bothering him while he was eating his lunch and watching oprah.

I worked the best deal I could between 3 dealers and settled on the highest price, but with the best service and people.

Initially they were $4000 cheaper in SK.

I will end up paying a premium of over $1000 to save myself a drive "apples to apples".

I didn't even bother giving him the opportunity to present his best offer.

I wonder how the guy on the phone in Sask likes "them apples".
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM

Wow -- it seems like dealers don't want your money!

When it comes to deals at boat shows, they can be had, BUT (and, yes, there's often one of those), you might not like the service there either. My brother-in-law bought a Crestliner at the Edmonton boat show last year, but had to wait until late June to actually get it. Missed a good bit of the season and he had to come back into town twice to get all the stuff that was promised with the deal. Not great service.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Walleye dudes got it

Call Kevin's ,I have had two boats from. Saved thousands

Worth the trip. Best thing is always rigged right unlike Calgary area..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Boat shows are not to sell items at reduced prices but to show product for the summer and gather contacts from interested people. It's retail show and tell not a blow out sale. Impulse buying at it's best.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Oh yeah .... lol ..... if you don't get a great deal you are happy with - PM me - my boat will be for sale right around the time I know my new one is arriving (April 1st).

Its a 2010 SmokerCraft 162 pro angler, 50 hp mercury 2 stroke, with lots of cool toys.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Thumbs up Cheap boat

Don't waste your time shopping in Canada. Go to the US
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 PM

I looked in the US. With the exchange rate at or near par, the taxes and declarations, the cost of certifying your trailer (which is an import requirement) and the trip you end up about even right now.

There was a time, not long ago, that there was some savings to be had, I'm not sure it's as good as you might think.

Also consider the good will and service you would have shopping at a local dealer and supporting our economy.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Thumbs up

The only tax is GST. There is a one time fee of $195 which includes the cost of the inspection. And exchange at par is a good thing. Don't just look at the prices on the Internet. Know what you want and get on the phone. You will save a ton of cash. Guaranteed
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
If you're looking for a Lund, call Kevin's Marine in Ft Qu'Appelle SK.
me home town got a cabin by there and after the big flood we had found our boat in half in the boat house so got stuck in the row boat fishig had my 1964 suzuki 2 hp motor and that broke down so ran over to them and they had it fixed in ten mins seem like they have some good deals haere too

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmitty View Post
The only tax is GST. There is a one time fee of $195 which includes the cost of the inspection. And exchange at par is a good thing. Don't just look at the prices on the Internet. Know what you want and get on the phone. You will save a ton of cash. Guaranteed
Better when our dollar was stronger and the US economy was at its worst.

There is $0 duty if the boat is manufactured in the US. If it has parts and components not manufactured in the US (like trolling motors, kickers, electronics etc...) they are, in fact, subject to the duty according to the schedule for that country, and appropriate tariff code.

A big dealer in the Midwest priced out the same model at less than $3100 (exchange calculated) vs. the best price I worked out here.

It would have cost me 3-4 nights in a hotel, meals, an extra 1000 bucks in gas and I would have saved just about enough money to buy a newspaper.

Dealers will tell you there is little margin in boats - but they are just like cars.

Really depends on how you negotiate in my opinion.

I will say, however, there are more options down there ..... if you are willing to work on it.

Probably depends on the boat model too I guess.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 AM

When the wife and I wanted to buy a boat last year we hit the boat show cash in hand but either where unable to get service from sales guys chatting with their pals, hit unmanned booths or encountered guys with no knowledge of their product. Neat to see all the products together but was disappointed by the service. Don't know if we just hit it bad or what, but we ended up in the end at Bass Pro and and picked up a Tracker Pro Guide 175 and it was a delight. No regrets.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM

anyone knows if there will be any deal on outboard motor?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM

I bought my boat at the Edmonton Boat and Sportsman show a couple years back and saved a few thousand. The deals they had were:
- show deal $1000 off
- manufacturer rebate for offseason (winter) $1000
- dealer offered an additional $750 if I picked up the boat within 4 weeks.

Last edited by sirmike68; 01-29-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
When the wife and I wanted to buy a boat last year we hit the boat show cash in hand but either where unable to get service from sales guys chatting with their pals, hit unmanned booths or encountered guys with no knowledge of their product. Neat to see all the products together but was disappointed by the service. Don't know if we just hit it bad or what, but we ended up in the end at Bass Pro and and picked up a Tracker Pro Guide 175 and it was a delight. No regrets.
I'm going to the show with a open mind and hopefully find something that i like that wont take until August to deliver!!! My feeling is go already knowledgable about what you want so if when you run across the superstar salesman that tries to blow wind up your butt you can gently explain to them that you would prefer to deal with someone who has a clue "You Can't Fix Stupid" ! I was looking at your boat also so if you wouldnt mind PM me and tell me what you like and things you found not so great!!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Jones Boys Boats

I delt with Jones Boys last year, pretty awsome to deal with! Very happy with the deal, saved me lots of money on rigging and the owner personally did a orientation on my boat when i picked it up from them. We descided to pick it up in BC, but they can meet for delivery as well.

Was not really in the market for a boat last show, but after visiting with their sales team and going over numbers I was suddenly in the market! lol! Very nice family business and would recommend them to my friends and family.

As for Ship wreck Marine, what a shady crooked business they run! Terrible service and worse pricing, only wish the economy would of flushed them down the toilet!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM

Alright with all the good things being said about Shipwrecked here i have decided to stay away from them.....thats why i enjoy this forum the shaddys can run but they can't hide!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Schooch, I know nothing about ship wreak. But after all the years of hearing so many negative things, I have to agree with you.

How are they even still in Biz?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Boat shows are not to sell items at reduced prices but to show product for the summer and gather contacts from interested people. It's retail show and tell not a blow out sale. Impulse buying at it's best.
Actually some dealers will sell more boats at the show, than they do the rest of the year. On popular models if you do not buy/order your boat at the show or shortly after you may not get delivery until June or later.

Last edited by bobalong; 01-29-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM

With the boat show coming this weekend, was just wondering if anyone else had any more input or information.