Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Default Canmore/Kananaskis Shore Fishing?

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm headed to Canmore this weekend and am going to have all Saturday to fish, but won't have a boat. I've been reading the other threads about K Lakes water levels, but does anyone have a report about shore fishing?

Would K Lakes be the best bet this time of year? Smarter to try for a Laker at Spray? Or stick to the Bow?

I've never fished the area, so any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:34 AM

Upper and Lower Kan Lakes are well over an hour from Canmore, but fishing the creek inlet at Upper K from shore is often productive. Grotto Pond is closer, between Canmore and Exshaw along the 1A highway, and is a popular shore fishery for stocked rainbows. The Bow has some good spots near Canmore, but you have to know it well in the varying spring water levels. Quarry Lake just outside of town is a unique fishery for stocked grayling - and some are a pretty good size. Shore fishing access is excellent there with plenty of room for back-casting flyfishers. Grayling from Quarry are stripped of eggs & milt every couple of years for use by the hatcheries for stocking throughout the province.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Thanks, Thumper.

Good point about K Lakes - decent drive from Canmore. I was just assuming that if the fishing was good, the drive and the view would be worth it.

I think I'll spend the morning at Spray trying my luck and then hit Grotto/Quarry if I get skunked.

Any other advice is welcome!

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Upper and Lower Kan Lakes are well over an hour from Canmore, but fishing the creek inlet at Upper K from shore is often productive.
This area is currently closed. No fishing. Also bait bans are in effect for the majority of the area. Some great suggestions above. I will add, if you haven't already pick up a copy of the Sportfishing Regulations and read up on any new area you plan to explore and fish. Enjoy your time exploring some new waters and be bear alert. And yes, the scenery alone is worth the drive.

Dace
Old 06-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
Thanks, Thumper.

Good point about K Lakes - decent drive from Canmore. I was just assuming that if the fishing was good, the drive and the view would be worth it.

I think I'll spend the morning at Spray trying my luck and then hit Grotto/Quarry if I get skunked.

Any other advice is welcome!

Thanks.
At Spray Lakes I found a muddler minnow on a sink tip worked really well for me casting from shore. I did not get a lot of fish but some - regular odds in lake casting from the shore.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 PM

If the Bow isn't flowing to high go to the northwest end of town (Larch Avenue) and walk to the river using the trails. There is a few spots that have breakers in the current and deep pockets where I was catching browns using black rubbertail jigs.

Be bear aware.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-18-2015, 04:44 PM

Larch Island is currently closed, due to aggressive elk calving. The COs are patrolling and will hand out tickets. I was just there 20 min ago. But just past Larch (further west), if you want to dodge golf-balls, there's fish behind the rock groynes along the golf course fairway....
Old 06-18-2015, 09:59 PM

I've had good luck from shore at Spray (boat launch area) using silver Williams Wobblers and Kamloopers. Buhler pond is also on that road (stocked rainbows) as well as the trailhead for Hogarth Lakes (nice little hike - 2nd lake is the best).
Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated.

I'll report back tomorrow!
Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM

Spent a few hours at Spray yesterday - mostly North and South of the Driftwood launch. It was great for the most part but the wind picked up and made it impossible to cast from shore with light line. Hooked into 4 fish and landed my first 2 lakers, one around 20".

Thanks all for the tips. Il be headed back later this summer, hopefully with a boat.