Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Default My Texas Turkey and Hog hunt

I had a friend invite me to come down to Texas this month for some Turkey and Hog hunting. Since I have never hunted either I jumped on the opportunity. They had planned this hunt approx. 2 weeks later than usual as everyone had prior commitments. It ended up being almost to late as most birds were not responding to calls. The first day we never shot any Turkey's, but did manage 2 hogs.

We roosted some birds that first night so the next morning, in the dark, we slipped within 300yrds of these birds and waited for first light. As the sun rose the toms began to gobble. We thought there were at least 3 toms in the group and started to hen call back. We had 2 toms come to the call. When they got close and spotted our decoys they seemed to get nervous and start to double back. I had one tom in the clear and made a good shot. I now have my first Turkey on the ground and the pressure was off! It was a nice bird with an 8" beard.

We hunted hard the next couple days and found a dugout (Texans call them tanks) that we knew the birds were coming to. Again we slipped in before daylight and setup our decoys. We sat and waited, but this time we never heard any response from roosted birds. Just when our hopes were getting down in flies 4 hens and they bring a nice tom with them. The Tom was drawn to our decoys, but never lost sight of the other 4 hens with him. He would come in and then turn back for his hens. He did this 3 or 4 times. Each time his hens were getting further and further away. I was worried he wouldn't come back so I decided I had to take the shot. When he came in for his last time his neck was fully extended and alert. I put the bead on his head and pulled the trigger. I dropped him in his tracks. 2 birds on the ground now and the second was a lot better bird with a 10" beard.

Here is a picture of our decoys that did the job.

If you noticed I'm wearing snake gators.....RATTLESNAKES EVERYWHERE!!!
Here is a Bull Snake that lived under the ranch house we stayed in.

He would poke his head out and watch as you walked by. Caught me off guard the first time I saw him as he was out sunning himself and was at least 5 - 6 feet long.

I would love to go back if offered the chance. If not I will definitely take the time to hunt our Turkey's here in Alberta. I have drawn a tag twice, but have not been able to make the time.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Way to go, thanks for sharing the photos!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:24 PM

cool country, nice bird!
great photo's.

cohod
Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Great story and pics, what's the deal with the hogs? With what and how did you take them ?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Cool, Thanks for sharing a unique hunting experience. Did ya bring back any of your turkeys for the wall. What was all involved if ya did?

ruger300
Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Great story and pics, what's the deal with the hogs? With what and how did you take them ?
The hogs are an added bonus. They are all over where we hunted. The 2 shot above actually came out of the bush in front while calling for Turkey's. They were shot with a 7mm. We also had AR-15's in .223 with 20 and 30 shot clips, laser sighted. That was fun to shoot!
Quote:
Cool, Thanks for sharing a unique hunting experience. Did ya bring back any of your turkeys for the wall. What was all involved if ya did?
I brought back both the birds I shot. I plan to have the biggest bird lifesize mounted and I'm doing a fan/beard mount on the second. Bringing them back was not hard at all. I froze the birds whole and bought a cooler to put them in. You have to declare them on your declaration when entering back into Canada. At customs I was asked what I was bringing back. I told them I shot 2 wild Turkey's and I'm bringing them back. They stamped my declaration and said have a nice day. I made sure I had all my licenses on me, but never had one person ask to see them. I was pretty concerned I forgot something and was going to have issues. It actually was no trouble at all!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Congrats on the Turkeys and Hogs.
Thanks for sharing your pics.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 05-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Sweet trip man. I don't know how comfortable I'd be sitting in the grass waiting for a turkey when there's snakes everywhere. I hate the buggers.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA