Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 07:45 PM

Thank you all for the replies and responses. My choice of 7-08 was never in doubt, having used it since the early '80s on everything up to and including elk. It was good, however, to see how many felt the same way about this amazing round. There was only one lone dissenter, and I appreciate his view as well.

My interest in starting the thread was more to get a feel for what others' experiences were with the 3 loads that I listed. I was very happy
to see that so many had positive results with the 139 Interlocks, but especially, the 120 TTSXs. Your experiences and opinions have greatly helped in my decision as to to firearm/load combo. My thanks and appreciation to all.

So, my primary rifle will be the aforementioned Montana in 7-08. In case I should have a problem with that rifle, my back up, will be a Kimber Classic Select, also in 7-08. Both shoot the 139 Interlocks and the 120 TTSXs inside an inch.

As far as the meat, it looks like whatever my buddy can't fit in his truck, I'll have to pay for as extra baggage on my flight.

Again, thank you all.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03-18-2024 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM

Pls keep us updated during and after your hunt . I'm pretty sure it will be a success..
Pics are always welcome
Old 03-20-2024, 06:04 PM

Eaglemountainman,

One of my favorite rifles is a Kimber Montana in 7-08.
I shoot the 145gr Barnes LRX’s for everything.
Works great on elk, moose and bighorns.

Let us know how your preparation and hunt go.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 03-21-2024, 11:36 AM

7-08 is more than enough for a moose. My grandpa took one with a 30-30 last year. Bullet placement is the most important part
Old 03-21-2024, 05:53 PM

It is a nice thread , but
Not sure why the OP has not asked this question to his guide ?
Honestly , I suppose other opinions and such
The 7-08 is not what I would travel from Florida to Alberta on a guided hunt ..sorry but true
asking for acceptance ??

Last edited by Rio56; 03-21-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-21-2024, 07:22 PM

Default 7-08 for moose

@Rio56

If you look back into my earlier post, you'll see that I clearly stated that I wasn't looking for approval of the 7-08, but rather opinions on the 3 loads that I listed in the original post. The fact that so many responded to the round, in the affirmative, was nice to see. However, whatever the group response was, it would not affect my decision to use this
headstamp. I'm 67 y/o. I've hunted my whole life, all over North America, for all kinds of big game. This is not my first rodeo. I don't need, or solicite, peoples approval. This is a forum where people exchange thoughts and ideas. If you can't handle that, maybe you should scroll on...

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03-21-2024 at 07:23 PM. Reason: none
Old 03-21-2024, 07:31 PM

Default 7-08 for moose

@ TangoKilo

Will do.

Also, would you mind posting your load for those 145 LRXs, including velocity, if you know it? Thanks
Old 03-21-2024, 10:31 PM

150gr ELDX. Stabal 6.5. 49.1gr. stdev 4.7 , spread 9. 2889 fps. Kimber Montana. Works extremely well on sheep and wouldn’t hesitate on moose .
Old 03-22-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman View Post
@Rio56

If you look back into my earlier post, you'll see that I clearly stated that I wasn't looking for approval of the 7-08, but rather opinions on the 3 loads that I listed in the original post. The fact that so many responded to the round, in the affirmative, was nice to see. However, whatever the group response was, it would not affect my decision to use this
headstamp. I'm 67 y/o. I've hunted my whole life, all over North America, for all kinds of big game. This is not my first rodeo. I don't need, or solicite, peoples approval. This is a forum where people exchange thoughts and ideas. If you can't handle that, maybe you should scroll on...
To make a clear picture for you ...
I was only asking and suggesting that if you comin all that way and the expense . Why not more effort and focus on the moose , game animal .
Here in Alberta our population is twindling and more years for us as residents to apply for and wait , up to 15 years ..
So , you PAY and get a tag with a guide and wanna test your loads ?
I don't feel like you get the whole aspect of the hunt .. Money gets you everything ...and I don't respect that
In the end a $15,000 last day shot for you means what ? would your guide let you shoot at 500 yards

Last edited by Rio56; 03-22-2024 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:31 PM

Yep, you nailed it. Another rich American coming up to spend gobs of money to practice marksmanship on YOUR moose.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:37 PM

Welcome to the AO forum. You may want to use the ignore feature.

You'll be fine with that rifle and load, as mentioned.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-22-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yep, you nailed it. Another rich American coming up to spend gobs of money to practice marksmanship on YOUR moose.
C’mon up and have a great time. Hope you have great weather and a great hunt. Pay no heed to the peanut gallery. They are here in Canada too. I don’t know what it is. When us Canadians go on 24 hr campfire asking questions, we get the negative ninnies too. Someone always has to complain.

PS: One more vote for the 7-08 here. I had one in a Montana too. Shot lights out. Moose are easy to kill. Nothing lives with holes in its lungs.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:02 PM

What the HELL is wrong with some of you guys. The OP has beem saving his whole life for a bucket list hunt and all you can do is rain on his parade with petty bull**** jealously. You are even worse than the legion of anti hunters, you are crapping on one of our own for no good reason at all. I am ASHAMED to be even remotely associated with *****holes like you.

Grow up, put on your big boy pants, save your money and go on a bucket list hunt too rather than disparaging someone who made great sacrifices to do what you are too bone ass lazy to work on.

Jeeze I get tired of the idiots that want to eat our own.

OP if there is anything I can do to make this work better for you, just let me know. There are a ton of othe guys on here that feel exactly the same way. The asshats, those that wear their rectums for a hat, thank God are still the minority on here.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
C’mon up and have a great time. Hope you have great weather and a great hunt. Pay no heed to the peanut gallery. They are here in Canada too. I don’t know what it is. When
us Canadians go on 24 hr campfire
asking questions, we get the
negative ninnies too. Someone
always has to complain.

PS: One more vote for the 7-08 here. I had one in a Montana too. Shot lights out. Moose are easy to
kill. Nothing lives with holes in its lungs.
Thanks, sns2
Much appreciated.

You're right. All these sites have at least one of these fools. Never takes too long for them to make themselves known.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03-22-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:18 PM

I only killed one moose with the 7mm-08, using the old 140gr Nosler Solid base ahead of IMR4895. At 250 yards, the bull started a slow walk, so I gave him three more rounds. Then he stopped , dropped his head, and collapsed. He was dead after the first round, but just didn't know it.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:56 AM

maybe I am over reacting and if so I take it back . I'm not a fan of any guided hunts with little repsect for the game .. I could be wrong here
I hope you get your moose and it's a clean kill
Enjoy Alberta
Old 03-23-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
@ TangoKilo

Will do.

Also, would you mind posting your load for those 145 LRXs, including velocity, if you know it? Thanks
There is a member here who has killed everythi g from deer to elk with a 708 Featherweight using TTSX bullets
I think he is around 35 animals now with it.
Cat
Old 03-23-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There is a member here who has killed everythi g from deer to elk with a 708 Featherweight using TTSX bullets
I think he is around 35 animals

Cat
Thanks for that, Cat.

I'm thinking I'll be fine. I've killed deer, hogs, pronghorn, a black bear and two elk with my 7-08...all with the 120 TTSX at 3100-3150 fps.

Having never killed a bull moose, I started this thread, not because I question the ability of the 7-08, but rather to see what others with experience had to say regarding the 120 TTSX or the 139 Interlock. The overwhelming positive responses have reinforced what I've already suspected. I very much appreciate the responses of all who replied.

As an aside to those that doubt my respect for the moose, I have a personal limit of 300 yds on all shots on game. I will also be waiting on a good broadside shot opportunity, in order to turn both lungs to jelly.

Thanks again, Cat
I appreciate your support

Tim
Old 03-23-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that, Cat.

I'm thinking I'll be fine. I've killed deer, hogs, pronghorn, a black bear and two elk with my 7-08...all with the 120 TTSX at 3100-3150 fps.

Having never killed a bull moose, I started this thread, not because I question the ability of the 7-08, but rather to see what others with experience had to say regarding the 120 TTSX or the 139 Interlock. The overwhelming positive responses have reinforced what I've already suspected. I very much appreciate the responses of all who replied.

As an aside to those that doubt my respect for the moose, I have a personal limit of 300 yds on all shots on game. I will also be waiting on a good broadside shot opportunity, in order to turn both lungs to jelly.

Thanks again, Cat
I appreciate your support

Tim
The member I mentioned uses either 140 or 150TTSX's, which may seem too heavy , but they hold their velocity well out to 400 or so, and he has a passel of recovered bullets that look just like flowers!
Cat
Old 03-23-2024, 09:47 AM

@Dick284
@sns2

I received PMs and replied to both, but not sure if you received them. Since I'm new, I might not have privileges yet?

Anyway, thank you, both!
Old 03-23-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
@Dick284
@sns2

I received PMs and replied to both, but not sure if you received them. Since I'm new, I might not have privileges yet?

Anyway, thank you, both!
I got your reply, and really had nothing to add, to your reply.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-23-2024, 04:37 PM

Remember guys are using bow and arrow to harvest moose .
Old 03-23-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
@ TangoKilo

Will do.

My load is definitely beyond what the manuals suggest so tread carefully!

My load is:
145gr Barnes LRX seated to 2.810” OAL
LAPUA brass
Fed 210m primer
43.5gr Varget

This produces 2860fps and excellent accuracy in my 22” Kimber Montana barrel.

Tk
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 03-25-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
My load is definitely beyond what the manuals suggest so tread carefully!

My load is:
145gr Barnes LRX seated to 2.810” OAL
LAPUA brass
Fed 210m primer
43.5gr Varget

This produces 2860fps and excellent accuracy in my 22” Kimber Montana barrel.

Tk
Thanks.
With time on my hands till Oct., I'm thinking about working up a load with the 139 LRX and CFE223 or Big Game. I love Varget but i can get much more velocity from the other two. If it shoots as tight as
the 120 TTSX out of the Montana, the extra 19gr, higher B.C. and softer composition couldn't hurt.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
With time on my hands till Oct., I'm thinking about working up a load with the 139 LRX and CFE223 or Big Game. I love Varget but i can get much more velocity from the other two. If it shoots as tight as
the 120 TTSX out of the Montana, the extra 19gr, higher B.C. and softer composition couldn't hurt.
That will be a killer bullet without a doubt!!
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-06-2024, 06:02 AM

A bit off topic, apologies.

For the guys near Falher, do you have any experience with Simards as a meat processor? My concern, since I'll be flying, is getting my meat cut and frozen in time, should I be fortunate to fill a tag on the last day or two of the hunt. My last day will be Oct 6, and I'm looking to book my return flight for the afternoon of Oct 8.

I called and spoke to a nice fella at Simards (Stefan?), and he seemed confident that he could accommodate me. I'm just wondering if there were other options, in case things went sideways. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternate processor in the area?
Old 04-06-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
A bit off topic, apologies.

For the guys near Falher, do you have any experience with Simards as a meat processor? My concern, since I'll be flying, is getting my meat cut and frozen in time, should I be fortunate to fill a tag on the last day or two of the hunt. My last day will be Oct 6, and I'm looking to book my return flight for the afternoon of Oct 8.

I called and spoke to a nice fella at Simards (Stefan?), and he seemed confident that he could accommodate me. I'm just wondering if there were other options, in case things went sideways. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternate processor in the area?
You’re talking a town of 1000 persons, and a county with about maybe another 500 persons within a 20 km radius from town. You’re gonna be hard pressed to find much more in resources like butchers with that sort of population demographic up there. Run with what ya got, and be prepared.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-06-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
The LRX is an excellent choice as I have been finding out in my 280. I gave up on CFE223 in my 7-08 due to large pressure changes with temperature- it’s near the worst on any temperature sensitivity list. I got good accuracy and amazing velocity though… Varget only lost me 100 fps and we all know how well it works. Temperature may not be an issue on your hunt.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I am originally from BC and come from a family that hunts moose successfully every year. The list of calibers they have used personally or their hunting partners have is huge. The on going trend is most steer towards more manageable calibers over time realizing it’s all that is necessary and more comfortable for them to work with all around. I am not a big gun nut but have developed a decent amount of hunting experience over a range of species in western Canada since I was a kid

I would say with confidence your 7mm-08 will do the job as long as you do your part

Outside of that come up go hunting, enjoy yourself and don’t give a crap about what others think of YOUR hunt. In my opinion as long as you respect the animal you hunt and treat others you meet well you are here to enjoy yourself all is good

Best of luck can’t offer you more information beyond the little I provided