Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Default May long and ice

With the ice so thick this last winter and the cold we are still having in April. I think a lot of lakes may not be ice free on the May long this year. Only about 6 weeks to melt 3 plus feet of ice. What are your thoughts. My guess is not all major lakes will be ice free till June this year. Usually they are ice free a couple weeks before the May long.

Climate getting warmer ? Ya, right ! A couple years like this and the climate guru's will be crying wolf in the other direction. Maybe the carbon tax is working ? Hahahahahaha

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 AM

It's called climate change not global warming anymore and yes I think a lot of the Lakes will be frozen by May long weekend. Not supposed to start warming up for another 2 weeks around here above zeros at night anyway

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2018, 09:57 AM

A good warm may rain will melt the ice. I gotta work May long anyways lol
Old 04-07-2018, 10:34 AM

A good wind and some rain & Sylvan will be ice free ....

I'm bringing back some Palm Springs weather with me next week.

For the old school 39C = 102F!

D.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-07-2018, 10:40 AM

Default weather

Dont take to long with that Palm Springs weather---Most everyone here on the ropes, with the record bad weather and all.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:50 AM

The good news... lots of lakes to ice fish for the next few weeks yet!

May Long Weekend is going to be a gong show this year...
Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
With the ice so thick this last winter and the cold we are still having in April. I think a lot of lakes may not be ice free on the May long this year. Only about 6 weeks to melt 3 plus feet of ice. What are your thoughts. My guess is not all major lakes will be ice free till June this year. Usually they are ice free a couple weeks before the May long.

Climate getting warmer ? Ya, right ! A couple years like this and the climate guru's will be crying wolf in the other direction. Maybe the carbon tax is working ? Hahahahahaha
I welcome global warming with open arms. Majority of my fishing is done on the open water.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Im willing to bet there will still be enough ice that someone tries to drive on opening day. We need at least one truck through the ice thread this year!

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-09-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Im willing to bet there will still be enough ice that someone tries to drive on opening day. We need at least one truck through the ice thread this year!
That would be good for open water opening day:

Quote:
Open water season starter - first truck through ice!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Seen Pinehurst iced up a few May Long weekends now.

Until you get rid of the snow pack on the ice, the sun does not penetrate to the lake bottom to get the heat starting underneath in the shallows.

Rain can sure help, but it takes alot of rain to cause a phase change. I understand it is 84 joules of energy to take a cubic centimeter of ice to liquid state.

Wind can push the ice on shore, somewhat, but sometimes that just plugs and destroys the boat launch as well.

Drewski
Old 04-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Until you get rid of the snow pack on the ice, the sun does not penetrate to the lake bottom to get the heat starting underneath in the shallows.

Rain can sure help, but it takes alot of rain to cause a phase change. I understand it is 84 joules of energy to take a cubic centimeter of ice to liquid state.

Wind can push the ice on shore, somewhat, but sometimes that just plugs and destroys the boat launch as well.

Drewski
Water on top (from Rain etc) with warm wind can rot ice quite quickly I have found. Then if you can get a bit of wave action it can break up the chandler ice in a hurry. By the way I think the 84 must be calories because the latent heat for ice to water is 333.55 Joules.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
Heat is transferable from all sources. So, as the ground heats up, it transfers at least a portion of it to the lake. The only perfect insulator is a vacuum.

It takes 1 calorie to heat 1g of water 1C. There are 4.2 joules/calorie. Conservation of energy works both ways, so cooling 1 mL of water from 10C (the average temperature of a spring shower) to 0C (the temperature of ice at phase change) will transfer 42 joules of heat energy.

We need to take into account that ice is less dense than water. So 1g of water is 1 cm^3 or 1 mL. 1cm^3 of ice is 0.9g

if you want to do all the ratios, it takes approximately 7mL of water at 10C to change 1mL of ice into water. since heat is being transferred from all directions. The ice itself is not an infinite heat sink. The water underneath the ice will be at 4C and the air temperature will be above zero, it thusly will take less than 7ml of 10C rainwater to change 1g of ice into pike fishing time!!