Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 AM

jan 08 and the minister says there have been 150K vacinted since jan 02. Smart move for a lot of Albertans. Should show some slowing by. Early February
Old 01-09-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Mentalpause can be tough.
Fixed that for you :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I get a flu shot every year but its hit or miss I really couldn't say if its effective or not.

I drove from Regina on Friday about halfway back I started to feel kind of queasy in my stomach by 6:30 I was in bed under 3 blankets shivering uncontrollably for 6 hours this was followed by two days of diarrhea I have not eaten since Friday at Noon.

Did the flu shot work for me?
Doesn't sound like you had the flu, more like food poisoning.

I never used to get a flu shot, I never get sick, until a few years ago the flu caught up to me and I was never so sick, it was like it tried to make up for lost time (can't remember the last time I had the flu). Since then, I get my flu shot, works for me and I'm not going through that extreme amount of sickness again. I never get colds either but if I do, I can ride it no problem, the flu on the other hand floored me.

I have a friend who is in dire need of the flu shot, she has the flu every other week! Typically after a good party but can't tell her that. I know she won't get the shot because it takes away the excuse for her to continually miss work from the "flu".
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/po...232/story.html
Despite all this, the minister and Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, James Talbot, say this is just a normal flu season with some extra cases of H1N1.

Although the signals are confusing and contradictory, the politicians and officials are quite right; 2014 is a long way from the crisis of 2009.
Horne’s handling of the vaccination problem also seemed peculiar. If there is no major public danger, and this is just a normal flu season, why raise the alarm and send thousands rushing to the clinics?

Horne said flatly on Wednesday that his goal was to get more people vaccinated. A higher level of protection means fewer sick people and less pressure on hospitals and clinics.

His tactic worked. Last year, the province bought vaccine that was never used. This year there won’t be enough.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 AM

Lets see...possibility of death..or..flu shot? I think I choose the flu shot!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Lets see...possibility of death..or..flu shot? I think I choose the flu shot!
Not everyone can take the flu shot.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Hesitant to take the shots lately since one of my wife's co-workers got Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) - coincidentally after getting her flu shot...
Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 AM

This is all crazy, they really like to try and scare people. If you depend on a shot to fight a bug, then get the shot. Don't get it cause the media tells u to. There are people that need it do to diseases or weak immune systems. But honestly if you are scared your going to die from the flu, you probably have higher odds of dieing In a car crash, do you stop driving? Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 AM

"The number of people out there who pass along faulty and dangerous information/opinions/whatever is just staggering to me."

BINGO!!! Thank you Iron Brew!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailsheds View Post
"The number of people out there who pass along faulty and dangerous information/opinions/whatever is just staggering to me."

BINGO!!! Thank you Iron Brew!
No doubt, but we shall overcome -- after all, most of us now "buckle up"...
Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM

Anecdontal evidence is really poor on Flu Shots. Most people who have the "Flu" don't actually have the flu. I heard in person this week someone said they got the flu shot and still had the flu. They were puking and on the toilet for 2 days straight. I somehow doubt they had the actual flu.

Heard the chat on 770 yesterday and was quite sad hearing the people calling in.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 PM

I bought into the media hype and got my first ever flu shot today. Great grandparents died of the flu and I have a 21 month old daughter so figured what the heck.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Gone Hunting

I get shots for all my dogs and horses. What was the question again? Oh yeah,

None of my dogs ever got distemper or rabies from the shots. I got polio shots when I was a kid. I knew kids that got polio, [thwere was a running total every summer in our city. ,but oddly can't recall any after the vaccine.

Not all programs are conspiracies from big pharma, the gubmint, and the medical profession.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-09-2014, 03:52 PM

7 years ago when I was with Concord Well Servicing i received the shot for the first time. That winter I was sick more than any other winter. It was my first and last foray into the flue shot fiasco. How do they know what strain of flue will be prevalent from season to season??
Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM

1899b - No idea how they "predict" but they certainly got it right this year. H1N1 is the one the deceased had, and the one that has hundreds in hospitals.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 PM

They monitor the European flu season then make a best guess as to what will come here. Add it to our standard strains and Bob's your uncle.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
1899b - No idea how they "predict" but they certainly got it right this year. H1N1 is the one the deceased had, and the one that has hundreds in hospitals.
I think it was H5N1 that the lady that came back from visiting China just died from in Edmonton. It would be interesting to know how many of the thousands that die from influenza in this country every year had taken the flue shot. Apparently nearest I can tell from googling the average amount of deaths from the flue virus is anywhere from 4000 to 7000 a year in Canada for the last several decades.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Give Blood........Canadian Blood Services

I have been donating blood regularly since I was 17 years old. I have NEVER missed a minute of school or work in 44 years....I am never sick. Most people who donate with me, are never sick either.

I truly believe this form of blood letting really works.....

PS: I have not been in school for 44 years either...lol

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
It concerns me that certain health care workers, like those working in Nursing Homes, in regular contact with an extremely vulnerable clientelle ---are not "required" to get shots as a condition of employment. The issue of individual rights is a thorny one.
x2. All health workers should be required to get flu shots. Only makes sense. Calgary Flames, Not.

Grizz
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Banned

i just did a quick readthrough of this thread for the first time and cannot believe how much misinformation, speculation, and fearmongering there is.
i have been getting flu shots every year for about 15/20 years and have never gotten the flu in that time. don't know if thats due to the shots or if i have been lucky. in that time we put 2 children through school and that seems to be one place where all kinds of flu, colds etc. spread.
i know that when you travel outside of canada you are advised to get shots to prevent things like hepatitus and imho you would be a fool not to get those shots cause you think it wont work or it's some kind of conspiracy.

Last edited by waterninja; 01-09-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
x2. All health workers should be required to get flu shots. Only makes sense. Calgary Flames, Not.

Grizz
The person that recently died from H5N1 was health care worker in her 20s.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/albert...-20s-1.2490018
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Never got a flu shot. Not gonna start this year
x3
Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 PM

Default It concerns me

Quote:
It concerns me that certain health care workers, like those working in Nursing Homes, in regular contact with an extremely vulnerable clientelle ---are not "required" to get shots as a condition of employment. The issue of individual rights is a thorny one.
It concerns me that anyone would expect that someone else do something against there will. Last time i checked a person should have the right to decide what is injected into there body. Free country? apparently not. So instead of asking why our health care providers are not getting there shots, we blame them and scapegoat them. If anyone would know what the negative aspects of the shot are you would think they would, no?
Instead we lap up the news media and hysteria surrounding the flu. Goebbels and Edward Bernayse would be so proud! This video is a bit long but it really shows the sheeple how we are manipulated with things like this Flu breakout. I know ill get flamed as a tinfoil hat guy.

http://youtu.be/p8ERfxWouXs
Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 AM

Default How about yellow stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Maybe everyone who doesnt get there shot should be forced to wear a big yellow star so all the good little slave can avoid them like flu leppers.

Question for you? If you have the flu shot why care about those that dont get theirs because your protected by the shot?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM

Old people go to the grocery store too. I think everyone in the grocer buisness should be forced to get the shot. Old people go to bingo. Bingo caller shots should be manditory.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
It concerns me that anyone would expect that someone else do something against there will. Last time i checked a person should have the right to decide what is injected into there body. Free country? apparently not. So instead of asking why our health care providers are not getting there shots, we blame them and scapegoat them. If anyone would know what the negative aspects of the shot are you would think they would, no?
Instead we lap up the news media and hysteria surrounding the flu. Goebbels and Edward Bernayse would be so proud! This video is a bit long but it really shows the sheeple how we are manipulated with things like this Flu breakout. I know ill get flamed as a tinfoil hat guy.

http://youtu.be/p8ERfxWouXs
IMO, "democracy" does not suggest that everyone gets to do what they want, and in some situations, individual rights must take a back seat to the interests of the many. My brother is in a nursing home, he has no control over who his caregivers are...needless to say, his health is fragile. He cannot toilet himself. Do I think it is reasonable for the staff coming into direct contact with him to be immunized --- yes.
One of my sons was a military pilot in Kuwait during a dust up with Saadam, One of his crew refused to get immunized (for something) and was sent home immediately ... potentially compromised the mission... sometimes your choice of vocation means you lose the freedom to choose other things...
Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 AM

Had my Flu shot for the first time this year in Sept. Talked to my family doctor about it and what it actually does. Escaped it when it circulated in the family in Oct. Now I'm the only one standing at work. Its definitely effective for me, I'll be the first in line next year.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
This is all crazy, they really like to try and scare people. If you depend on a shot to fight a bug, then get the shot. Don't get it cause the media tells u to. There are people that need it do to diseases or weak immune systems. But honestly if you are scared your going to die from the flu, you probably have higher odds of dieing In a car crash, do you stop driving? Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer.
BANG ON, couldn't say it better!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:53 AM

We all have our rights and beliefs to decide on whether or not to get a flu shot. What I am having a hard time with is the comparison of getting polio, measles and other such known virus strains to getting a flu shot. Yes these diseases killed many and if not for the vaccinations would have killed many more. The difference in the flu vaccine is that it is a calculated guess, because of this we now have a ever evolving and complicated virus that is getting stronger and more deadly. Myself I choose not to get the shot and allow myself to fight off the virus naturally, I am type 1 diabetic and have taken the shot once with terrible results and now choose not to get it. I myself feel we all have a choice and do not frown on people who do or do not get it. Now if the flu shot did not mutate and there was a true vaccine then I would be on board until then I will see how the guessing game goes and decide every year if I will get the shot.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 AM

I'm torn on this subject. I've gotten the shot once and never again. I'm fortunate and have a fantastic immune system. I attribute it to copious amounts of rum consumption. Anyway, I digress, my wife has a less than stellar immune system and works in health care. She got the shot last week, not because she wanted to, but because she was afraid of being laid up for weeks if she came down with it. What I don't like is her boss (and others in health care) trying to force the shot on them. It's a person's choice whether or not a foreign substance is put into their bodies. If a health care worker chooses not to get the shot, so be it. Just use the same protocols as when dealing with an MRSA + patient, gown, gloves, and mask, etc.

There's been what....1400 confirmed cases of the flu in Alberta?? In a province with roughly 3.8 million people. 0.03%, 1 in 3000. Granted those are lab confirmed cases, I know the actual incidents are higher, but I'm just dealing with the #'s I have in front of me.

I won't be getting the shot and neither will my kids, AHS can distribute those to people who want them.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Maybe everyone who doesnt get there shot should be forced to wear a big yellow star so all the good little slave can avoid them like flu leppers.

Question for you? If you have the flu shot why care about those that dont get theirs because your protected by the shot?
Maybe should send people who don't get a flu shot a bill if they go and see the doctor or go to the hospital. I'd be ok with that.