Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Huskemaw Optics

Does any one on here use or have shot a gun with a 5-20-50 Huskemaw scope on it.
I am thinking of buying one and putting it on my 270 swm. The thought of being able to shoot a 4" group at 700 yards kind of catches my attention.
I looked through one today and it is very nice. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 PM

I looked at one in Corlanes, and I have no plans on ever owning one. Optics wise, it lags behind my Zeiss , Swarovski and Kahles scopes. For the price, I expect better optics.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:06 PM

If u want good glass, look at NightForce! Best glass I have ever looked through. There heavy but can take a hit... Go with the NSX,
Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
If u want good glass, look at NightForce! Best glass I have ever looked through. There heavy but can take a hit... Go with the NSX,
Take a look through a new Zeiss Diavari with fluoride lenses.

Nightforce scopes are built like tanks, but optically, they are still a bit behind the very best scopes.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Elk u should like through my scope! Better then my buddies Swaro 56mm... And that his opinion too.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Elk u should like through my scope! Better then my buddies Swaro 56mm... And that his opinion too.
I owned an NXS 3.5-15x50 for a while, I had it mounted on my 308win target rifle. It was strong and tracked very well, but the optics were not equal to my Swarovski, Kahles or Zeiss scopes. I mounted a Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56 on my new 6.5x47 target rifle, and in side by side testing, not one person preferred any Nightforce over the Diavari.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I looked at one in Corlanes, and I have no plans on ever owning one. Optics wise, it lags behind my Zeiss , Swarovski and Kahles scopes. For the price, I expect better optics.
What would you compare the optics too? Also what would you pay for a Zeiss scope with the same power?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
What would you compare the optics too? Also what would you pay for a Zeiss scope with the same power?
I would compare the optics to a Zeiss Conquest, a Bushnell 4200, or a Leupold vx3. I would rate the Huskemaw as slightly inferior to all three. I can buy a 6.5-2-x50 Conquest for around $1000 to $1100. A Diavari costs much more, but it is much more scope.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-09-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I would compare the optics to a Zeiss Conquest, a Bushnell 4200, or a Leupold vx3. I would rate the Huskemaw as slightly inferior to all three. I can buy a 6.5-2-x50 Conquest for around $1000 to $1100. A Diavari costs much more, but it is much more scope.
Thanks, The cost was 1249.00 for the huskemaw, I thought the optics were good but like you said not as good as a Zeiss Diavari. But the price for a new Zeiss Diavari is probally close to 2000.00 i am guessing. I have a 3x9x50 Conquest on my 22-250 and the optics are much better on the huskemaw
i thought. Like you said you get what you pay for. I was hoping someone on here had one, actually surprised that someone doesnt.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I have a 3x9x50 Conquest on my 22-250 and the optics are much better on the huskemaw
Were you comparing them at the same magnification?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 AM

I just got mine with the turret shooting 168gr vld 7mm and it is awsome to shoot if you wamnt worry free long range its the only way to go if you just want a scope to hunt under 500yrds with go with the leupold 4-14x50 VXL with Boone and Crocket
Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 AM

. The thought of being able to shoot a 4" group at 700 yards kind of catches my attention.
Wow. If I would of only known that all I need was a new scope to shoot that kind of group I would of bought it years ago.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
. The thought of being able to shoot a 4" group at 700 yards kind of catches my attention.
Wow. If I would of only known that all I need was a new scope to shoot that kind of group I would of bought it years ago.
I am not sure if there is a hint of sarcasm here or not, hard to tell in "type". There is a lot more involved in shooting a 4 inch 700yrd group. Load development, wind doping, etc. just to name a few. Don't be fooled by marketing, a new fancy scope doesn't make you any better at shooting IMHO. It can give you better points of reference, it can make things look closer and make thing look clearer. The shooting part is still up to the person behind it all.

Lefty
Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I am not sure if there is a hint of sarcasm here or not, hard to tell in "type". There is a lot more involved in shooting a 4 inch 700yrd group. Load development, wind doping, etc. just to name a few. Don't be fooled by marketing, a new fancy scope doesn't make you any better at shooting IMHO. It can give you better points of reference, it can make things look closer and make thing look clearer. The shooting part is still up to the person behind it all.

Lefty
Your correct. There was a little sarcasm in my post.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
Your correct. There was a little sarcasm in my post.
I figured as much , but I wouldn't be surprised how many people ACTUALLY feel that way.

Lefty
Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I figured as much , but I wouldn't be surprised how many people ACTUALLY feel that way
Advertising sells, and some people are easier to sell to.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

One thing you may want to look at is where the Huskemaw is manufactured and where it has to go for service. As for their custom Turrets, Leupold (Korth Industries in Okotoks) can build you ewxactly the same thing for a VX2 or 3. As a side note I have the long range shooting guide from best of the west and it was made before they started selling huskemaw and it appears they are using mostly Leupolds.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
As a side note I have the long range shooting guide from best of the west and it was made before they started selling huskemaw and it appears they are using mostly Leupolds.
Every time that their optics or rifle sponsor changes, whatever the replacement rifle/scope is, will become the rifles/scope that you supposedly need to shoot 4" groups at 700 yards. The simple truth is that many rifle/ scope combinations will do the same thing with a competent shooter. It really doesn't matter what equipment you use, the equipment isn't going to change an average shooter, into a long range marksman.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
It really doesn't matter what equipment you use, the equipment isn't going to change an average shooter, into a long range marksman.
Maybe not change them but it sure is a big part of long-range shooting. At the very least it's a blend of skill and technology, although technology is starting to play a far bigger role. I've taken many average shooters and put some technology in their hands and with a few minutes instruction had them banging 500 yards gongs with no problems. Right or wrong, long range shooting is becoming a lot easier due solely to technology. Maybe it won't change a poor shooter into a long range marksmen but an average one....quite possibly. I've seen it happen.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I've taken many average shooters and put some technology in their hands and with a few minutes instruction had them banging 500 yards gongs with no problems.
Most 500 yard gongs are usually quite large.How many of those average shooters do you suppose would be able to consistently shoot 4" groups at 700 yards as per the desires of the OP?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:31 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Most 500 yard gongs are usually quite large.How many of those average shooters do you suppose would be able to consistently shoot 4" groups at 700 yards as per the desires of the OP?
My criteria for determining long range shooting/hunting ability is how far away how can you hit an 8" gong five times in a row from actual hunting conditions. I'd say most average shooters can do that at 500 yards when a little technology is placed in their hands.....As I said, right or wrong, technology is turning a lot of average shooters into long range shooters. I really don't care what anyone can do off a bench when it comes to hunting but I've got no reason that with a blend of technology and practice that the OP couldn't shoot that group off of a bench. Under field conditions, it's less likely. As he's looking at a huskemaw scope, I just assumed he was more interested in hunting.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
My criteria for determining long range shooting/hunting ability is how far away how can you hit an 8" gong five times in a row from actual hunting conditions. I'd say most average shooters can do that at 500 yards when a little technology is placed in their hands....

My idea of a long range marksman would be a shooter that can take his rifle, and consistently hit a small target,at long range, with the first bullet out of the gun, regardless of the wind, and then place follow up shots into that target if required. He would have no yardage markers , or wind flags to go by, and obviously no sighter shots.

I have to wonder how many average shooters, using their hunting rifles, could consistently hit that same 8" target at 500 yards from a field position, with their very first shot, in a crosswind of more than 10mph, with no sighter shots, no wind flags, and no walking to the target with a wind meter. If I had to bet for them,or against them, I would bet against them. But that is just me after watching many people with high dollar precision rifles and BDC scopes shooting at 500 meter targets at the local range. Once they find the proper windage, most do pretty well, but very few are hitting smaller targets at 500 meters with the first shot.

Actually thinking about what I just typed, there is a huge problem with the above situation. If a person is an average shooter, he obviously wouldn't be considered a long range marksman, unless of course you consider all average shooters long range marksmen. I certainly don't.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-10-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 PM
sheephunter

My thought is that anyone can make a lucky first shot. Do it five times in a row, with only five shots from first to last, and you are ready to go hunting IMHO. As for doping the wind, another of those things where a little instruction and a little technology can work together to shorten the proficiency curve. 209x50 is down shooting with John Porter as we speak. John has simplified doping the wind to a point even a caveman can understand it. His DVD is worth watching. Obviously there are times to shoot and times not to shoot but the more I play with technology, the more I realize just how much easier it is to become proficient at longer ranges.

BTW, I ripped off the five shots in a row criteria from Darrell Holland at a seminar of his I attended. It just made so much sense to me that I adopted it as my own criteria. Interesting what you can learn from these guys that basically do it for a living. There is a world outside the local rifle range
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
My thought is that anyone can make a lucky first shot. Do it five times in a row, with only five shots from first to last, and you are ready to go hunting IMHO. As for doping the wind, another of those things where a little instruction and a little technology can work together to shorten the proficiency curve. 209x50 is down shooting with John Porter as we speak. John has simplified doping the wind to a point even a caveman can understand it. His DVD is worth watching. Obviously there are times to shoot and times not to shoot but the more I play with technology, the more I realize just how much easier it is to become proficient at longer ranges.

BTW, I ripped off the five shots in a row criteria from Darrell Holland at a seminar of his I attended. It just made so much sense to me that I adopted it as my own criteria. Interesting what you can learn from these guys that basically do it for a living. There is a world outside the local rifle range
That's great if you are a member of our ERT Team. I thought Hunting actually had some emotion and skill to it. If you want to do "take outs" for me it defies having a memorable hunt unless you can remember the target at 700 yards plus. What a joke! of course you can "kill" at most distances with a little coaching and the technology available. I hope you guys learn lots from John Porter..LOL he isn't a member of any "take out unit" I know. You guys are unreal
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
sheephunter

I'd like to think that each hunter takes something speacial away from each hunt. For some, making a long range humane kill is a big part of a hunt. I see no reason to criticize and mock what others personally take away from a hunt as long as it was done ethically. Just seems a bit petty to me. Hunting is very much a personal thing and it seems respecting what people personally derive from each hunt would be the least a fellow hunter could do. It may not be for you personally and I can respect that.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM

oh oh....more ethics taken into account here. Once you mention that word all %#$@ breaks loose. Mostly because ethics are opinions and cannot be "measured" whats ethical to me is not to you etc.

I will ask these simple 2 questions.....there are a million answers to each.

1. Who is the better "hunter" guy who spot and stalks to make a less than 100yrd shot OR the guy who holds up and takes the 700 yrd shot?

2. What is more "ethical"? a 100 yard shot or a 700 yrd shot?

.....get my point?

Lefty
Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
oh oh....more ethics taken into account here. Once you mention that word all %#$@ breaks loose. Mostly because ethics are opinions and cannot be "measured" whats ethical to me is not to you etc.

1. Who is the better "hunter" guy who spot and stalks to make a less than 100yrd shot OR the guy who holds up and takes the 700 yrd shot?

.....get my point?

Lefty
If your point is that there are no definitive answers to your questions, then yes I get it. For the sake of the ethics arguement, let's stick to a humane kill for this little excercise. I'm sure we can all agree that is ethical
Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:

.....get my point?

Lefty
So there are a million answers to two questions, just what IS your point?
Cat
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfishtrap View Post
That's great if you are a member of our ERT Team. I thought Hunting actually had some emotion and skill to it. If you want to do "take outs" for me it defies having a memorable hunt unless you can remember the target at 700 yards plus. What a joke! of course you can "kill" at most distances with a little coaching and the technology available. I hope you guys learn lots from John Porter..LOL he isn't a member of any "take out unit" I know. You guys are unreal
\
So what you are implying is if you are an ERT member it's okay for you to take long range shots, and buy long range scopes like a Leupold MK4 or a Huskemaw, but if you are not then you are just some wanker with money and no hunting skill?
Or maybe we can just shoot coyotes and gophers at long range?
BTW, not all ERT members are long range experts, but you seem to know all this stuff anyway or you would not have posted in a thread that is discussing long range optics.
Myself, I could care less just what you think or who you think you are.
I know my capabilities, and they involve both long and short range hunting skills, whether you believe that or not .
Cat
Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM

I'm a 3 season hunter, that means Bow, Muzzleloader, and Rifle. I have shot animals at 7 yards on the ground with a bow, and over 700 with my rifle. Does each and every hunt that I have been on mean something to me? You bet it does, I take from the hunt what I want and that is the total expericence. If a shot at an animal that I want to harvest presents itself and it's way out there when I have the right gear (rangefinder, bipod, and a rifle that I know what it does at that distance) will I take the shot. I will as long as the conditions are right and I know I can make a clean kill. Does that hunt mean anyless than the one I shoot with my bow? Nope, every situation is different, and every single one of them has a place in my memories. For someone to tell me that I'm unethical for taking a long shot, that's your opinion and really means nothing to me as it's my hunt and my memories. Each year there are lots of animals that get shot and lost by hunters of every type at close distance - to me not making a clean kill is unethical if you take a shot that you shouldn't, not the distance involved.