Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Default I really screwed up yesterday

As some of you may remember, I had planned on riding bulls again once my knees got fixed up. Hopefully to start next years summer season.

The movie "8 Seconds" was on yesterday, so I watched it with my daughter. She thought it was so cool that I used to do that, and she was excited to come watch me when I started again.

Then it happened. We got to the part where Lane dies in the arena, and she welled up with tears and told me I am not allowed to do it because she doesn't want me to get killed by a bull.

How do I say no to that? So now I am open to suggestions on a new hobby to pick up. Consider my spurs retired.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Skydiving?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How do I say no to that? So now I am open to suggestions on a new hobby to pick up. Consider my spurs retired.
id be more worried if you somehow DID find a way to say no to that.

Nice thread.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM

fly fishing
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
As some of you may remember, I had planned on riding bulls again once my knees got fixed up. Hopefully to start next years summer season.

The movie "8 Seconds" was on yesterday, so I watched it with my daughter. She thought it was so cool that I used to do that, and she was excited to come watch me when I started again.

Then it happened. We got to the part where Lane dies in the arena, and she welled up with tears and told me I am not allowed to do it because she doesn't want me to get killed by a bull.

Pick up a rope, easier on the body
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:

You can't say no Dad.

The days of thinking of yourself and the way you thought of personal glory are behind you now.
Maybe you can change to something a bit safer in rodeo but in the end...

The way forward is to revel in the love of that child and to make sure that the legacy you leave is one of being the best Dad in the world.
All the trophies and fanfare in the world won't add up to making sure she has a happy childhood as worry free as possible.

Take her fishing... teach her to play hockey... to garden and ride.

You and your family can always be proud of the past but you shouldn't dwell there when there is so much to offer you in the future and when you are so important to her and her future.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Despite what some guys think, riding bulls is something that should be taken DAMN seriously. If your not making a good living doing it your wasting your time as far as i'm concerned. Especially when you have a family too support.

I've seen the affects it can have, I have buddies that are partially paralized, brain damaged, crippled and beat up from head too toe. I also was mear inches away as a kid got killed in the arena, nothing we could have done but thats part of "the game" I think you made the right call.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
You can't say no Dad.

The days of thinking of yourself and the way you thought of personal glory are behind you now.

The way forward is to revel in the love of that child and to make sure that the legacy you leave is one of being the best Dad in the world.
All the trophies and fanfare in the world won't add up to making sure she has a happy childhood as worry free as possible.

You and your family can always be proud of the past but you shouldn't dwell there when there is so much to offer you in the future and when you are so important to her and her future.
^^^Bingo!!!^^^

I would go out on a limb and say that there are lots of guys finding themselves in your kinda situation these days, myself included. A blown out lumbar back finally slowed me down enough to have an epiphany. It kinda slams a person in the chest when you start to think about all those super wild things that we used to do and all the glorious conquests of our fearless and consequence free youth and how things for our families would be affected now if we were to get hurt and perish while we were doing something wild and crazy that we loved to do and are passionate about, but are inherently dangerous activites like bull riding or maybe skiing down that crazy steep and narrow mountain chute above a 50' cliff in avalanche country or bowhunting grizzlies from the ground etc. Thinking about the repercussions took the fun out of certain 'extreme' activities for me and replaced it with worry and guilt about the "what-if's"... Glory and stories last forever anyway man, but time with our kids is absolutely priceless especially these days. Thanks for the post! -SQK
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You can't say no Dad.
That should be framed and hung on the wall. Well said.

Pesky, you old softie!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You can't say no Dad.

Well said, brought a tear to my eye, parenting is about sacrafice.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Ya it's tough to let go. Rodeo was always just a hobby. I never went out to be world champ, but I loved it.

My daughter and I do so much together. She loves riding on my bike with me, she loves it that I coach her hockey team. I can't imagine what she would do without me.

I had thought about buying some gear and start playing goal like she does. But then I thought she needs to have something that is just "hers" and I sit back and support it.

Adrenalin is a tough habit to break.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM

I'd personally not do it. Surely your daughter doing that must mean something. Even if she's misenformed, I gotta say that I think she'd grow up with a lot more respect for you and men in general...

Besides, then you get to choose what boys she brings home, lol
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM

No you did not screw up. Had you ignored her request, then yes, maybe you would have. You chose to limit your girls anxieties, and worries. Just being a Great Dad, that's All and nothing wrong with being that Dad either.

As for Adrenaline rushes, I am sure your daughter will give you more then enough of that once she starts to date!!!

BW
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM

You have the instincts of a good dad. Good for you. However, I have one question. I know little of rodeo. Was the movie realistic? Do guys get killed bull riding? In terms of death rate does it rate particularly high for sports? Is your little girl's concern realistic?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Heehee- wifey says;

"no one ever got killed raising bunnies"

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You have the instincts of a good dad. Good for you. However, I have one question. I know little of rodeo. Was the movie realistic? Do guys get killed bull riding? In terms of death rate does it rate particularly high for sports? Is your little girl's concern realistic?
It is a true story Okie.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
True movie. Death is rare. Injuries are a certainty!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 AM

IIRC Ian Tyson's career took a big left turn while he was recuperating from a big wreck (either broncs or bulls ) when he was young.
it's a dangerous thing to take up for a calling, for sure!
But then, so is free climbing!
Better to listen to the daughter, and choose anothe pastime, like roping!
I know tha's a hard thing to do, but i changed what I did for a living for my family, it all works out in the end.....
Cat
Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Tru Dat!!!

I was put on my death bed once. It's not if you get hurt- It's when and how bad.

The guy that taught me how to ride (Glen Keely) was killed in the arena as well. His injuries were almost identical to mine.

They are very real concerns. Unlikely, but more likely than raising bunnies.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 AM

(The Devil appears)

"Just 8 more seconds......just 8"

Lol

You made a good call. Stick to it
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Outrider on the chuck circuit? Just kidding pick up fly fishing with a specialization in nymphing! You'll find the adrenaline rush equivalent if not better than bull riding!!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Outrider on the chuck circuit? Just kidding pick up fly fishing with a specialization in nymphing! You'll find the adrenaline rush equivalent if not better than bull riding!!
LOL. Never rode bulls have you.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
LOL. Never rode bulls have you.
No sir never had! I had good advice from my grandpas farm hand( he rode bulls) when I was about 12 and getting interested in it. He said " Bud unless your ready to start seeing blood on the first wipe don't bother getting into it!" haha
And I never bothered!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 AM

He was a wise man!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM

I rode broncs for a lot of years and never really cared about much except when the next rodeo was and how to pay my entry fee....in 08 I was a the bearspaw arena for roughstock practice....now I have two wonderfull kids that like to play with their daddy...at this practice I rode two young horses that had only been turned out a couple maybe three times...first horse wasn't bad........the second did a belly role at the same time she twisted sideways in the air almost loosing her footing..I came off did a flip landing on my back breaking my t12 the hardest part of the whole thing wasn't being able to work or ride broncs again, but it was the fact I couldn't play with my two kids because I had this injury....I hung my spurs that day..all I wanted was to get one more buckle...but it was not worth seeing their sad faces when the couldn't play....I may have given up on a dream of mine...but now I can play,run and hunt with both of them and maybe help them with their rodeo careers if they chose that road...you did the right thing
Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=Okotokian;1474469]You have the instincts of a good dad. Good for you. However, I have one question. I know little of rodeo. Was the movie realistic? Do guys get killed bull riding? In terms of death rate does it rate particularly high for sports? QUOTE]

Glen Keely from Nanton was killed about 12 years ago at a PBR event in the US. Bull stepped square in the middle of him. Vest was not enough. He walked out of the arena and collapsed. He is buried in the Nanton cementary.

There are few killed each year. Many we don't hear about because it is south of the border.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=Dr. Phil A;1474566]
Quote:
You have the instincts of a good dad. Good for you. However, I have one question. I know little of rodeo. Was the movie realistic? Do guys get killed bull riding? In terms of death rate does it rate particularly high for sports? QUOTE]

Glen Keely from Nanton was killed about 12 years ago at a PBR event in the US. Bull stepped square in the middle of him. Vest was not enough. He walked out of the arena and collapsed. He is buried in the Nanton cementary.

There are few killed each year. Many we don't hear about because it is south of the border.
Chris Self down in Med. Hat around 2000. Can't remember which year Lane Frost died, think it was '89. Cheyenne Frontier days.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Smile Testing stuff

1. Shark repellent
2. Bullet proof vests
3. Timers on hand grenades
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Tru Dat!!!

I was put on my death bed once. It's not if you get hurt- It's when and how bad.

The guy that taught me how to ride (Glen Keely) was killed in the arena as well. His injuries were almost identical to mine.

They are very real concerns. Unlikely, but more likely than raising bunnies.
Well then you probably made the right decision. And your girl will be so happy you gave it up for her. Just make sure to tell her that doesn't mean she gets her way with everything! LOL
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM

I use to ride when I was younger, and all it got me in the long run was sholder surgury, and blowen knees. But remember the bronks and bulls wont be there when your down and out, but your family will.