Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Flooding in city schools...??

Why did so many schools freeze up? Was something missed in their original construction? It seems like way too many to be coincidental. Is anyone checking in to this?
Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Banned

One of the big problems was the timing.
Many of the leaks were in themselves not serious. If they had been discovered quickly not much damage.
But it was on Christmas break. Most of the breaks were only discovered after they had been leaking for days.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 PM

What flooding aare you talking about? Please share a link or something.
Im interested
Old 01-14-2018, 05:21 PM

I hear ya bob....but 10 of them ??

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...thaw-1.4471761
Old 01-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post

No issues from the "other" side. Those Catholics know what they're doing I guess.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:41 PM

Those Catholics have connections with "the big fella".
Old 01-14-2018, 05:47 PM

So the plumber interviewed noted that the pipes 'unthawed'. If that were the case they'd still be frozen

Thawed is a real word and while unthawed might potentially qualify, if it were one it would mean 'froze'.

As for it happening to so many public schools I would attribute that to their management. Some clueless enviro-clown in upper management probably calculated how many tons less carbon would be emitted if they set the building temperatures down to 6 degrees C while they were unoccupied. They forgot to calculate how many hydrocarbons would be combusted by the numerous repair vehicles and the carbon embedded in the materials required for all of the repairs

Send them to the Gulag!

I'll give you one guess as to how the responsible individidual(s) voted in the last election. My money bets that they're party to more than one disaster.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:51 PM

The weather has been offly cold. Which drives the frost deeper.

It could be many things. I wonder if these schools are new build. Also, i wonder what kind of heating cycle the had the building on, what foundation burrial depth and what type of maintenance.

Im sure they will have a consultant look into doing an investigation on the cause
Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 PM

I’m assuming this was the first prolonged cold snap since contrusted. Couple that with all domestic water not moving in the pipes(unoccupied space). This allows stagnant water to get really cold if there are cold spots in the building. Same with heating pipes. Room Temps probably set back to save a bit of heating, air handlers throttled back in the off time( oops). Any new construction is susceptible to these conditions when new. Considering there were 30+ built in the past few years, not surprising.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM

I bet they turned down the ole thermostats with no one there and got burnt when we hit -30's.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Wonder how many of the affected areas were in portables, too...
Old 01-15-2018, 01:45 PM

If I had to guess I would say combo of recent cold temps, no water flow due to holidays, and almost certainly an overaggressive thermostat setback at the same time.

Served on the board of a new condo for 5 years with individual heating units for each suite and dealt with burst pipes way too often. Mostly was down to people turning off the furnace at night or when away in the fall/spring and not expecting a temp drop. Crazy situation when a sprinkler pipe bursts on the ground floor and absolutely disastrous when it happens above ground level. Eventually had to mandate built in freeze alarms for each suite due to people's ignorance.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Public caretaker is a mop jockey. Union has building maintenance and they don't work on holidays. NO Building checks. Catholic school caretakers actually hold building operation tickets and there are scheduled checks.

B.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Wonder how many of the affected areas were in portables, too...
Unlikely any of the areas were in portables, as they all individually have forced air furnaces and no water services.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
Unlikely any of the areas were in portables, as they all individually have forced air furnaces and no water services.

Good point.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM

i think a lot of them where sprinkler lines above suspended ceilings that froze and broke causing the flooding as most public buildings use a wet type fire protection system (lines are always charged )