Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Strength in numbers he says. But only 200 members. Lol. You can kiss your back country Atving good bye.
Looks like you can kiss your back country fishing good bye as well I wonder how long before you can kiss hunting good bye.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
I wonder how long before you can kiss hunting good bye.
It won’t be very long at all.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Y2y

the Y2Y agenda is to close everything from Yellowstone to the Yukon and turn it into one big national park . dam treehuggers
Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Looks like you can kiss your back country fishing good bye as well I wonder how long before you can kiss hunting good bye.
What is stopping me from back country fishing??? I have two feet and a heart beat I’m pretty sure my old azz can still hike a few miles. Did you know that fishing is permitted in all our national parks And our provincial parks?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
It won’t be very long at all.
Dream away. What do you think would happen if all hunting was closed in Alberta? How long would it take for the wildlife populations to get out of control? Look what happened at Suffield when a small herd was allowed to run free with no human predation. If you think that our government will allow that kind of mass destruction to the agricultural business then I think you thoughts are illogical.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:43 AM
Banned

Rumor has it that the government may close down fishing for at least 5 yrs. in the waters that hold cutthroat trout, pike and walleye, but I guess we'll have to wait and see come April!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Rumor has it that the government may close down fishing for at least 5 yrs. in the waters that hold cutthroat trout, pike and walleye, but I guess we'll have to wait and see come April!!!
Just certain waters that hold vulnerable populations not all waters containing those species.

Not many know or remember that a big piece of the Castle country and K Country was a game preserve with zero hunting from about 1907 until the mid fifties. And that there was locked gate and no motorized vehicles signage just above the Provincial campground on the NW branch of the Old Man River from the end of WW2 (?) until 1964. You could hunt or fish but you walked or rode a horse.

Nothings new.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Save the Eastern Slopes Fund!

We love our outdoors and it doesn’t begin or stop with OHV Trails. Everyone is threaded. I created a fund to help with future costs of battling this movement.

If it is successful the monies will be sent to a cause decided by most popular vote and most need area.

Nobody is meant to be excluded from this not for profit fund. We all need our Eastern Slope open and Crown Land accessible! Let’s stop Y2Y together.

https://www.gofundme.com/save-albertas-ohv-trails

Thanks

Stewart Williamson
UTV Alberta - Facebook
Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Just certain waters that hold vulnerable populations not all waters containing those species.

Not many know or remember that a big piece of the Castle country and K Country was a game preserve with zero hunting from about 1907 until the mid fifties. And that there was locked gate and no motorized vehicles signage just above the Provincial campground on the NW branch of the Old Man River from the end of WW2 (?) until 1964. You could hunt or fish but you walked or rode a horse.

Nothings new.
I seen the map of possible closures and it’s pretty much all of the backcountry in the south Saskatchewan Regional plan for streams. I remember when there was just a wagon trail in k-country. You could pound a truck in there to sheep hunt.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM

All waters containing native species are being evaluated, yes.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Look what happened at Suffield when a small herd was allowed to run free with no human predation.
looks like the issue at suffield is the lack of natural predators
https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/gam...AQ-Oct2017.pdf
An elk herd was introduced at CFB Suffield in 1997. From a population of about 200 elk in 1997, the
population grew to more than 7,000 by 2014. Because there are few predators in the area of CFB
Suffield, without hunting, this population was projected to increase by more than 20 per cent annually.
The EHMP aims to reduce the number of elk in CFB Suffield’s Range and Training Area.

Quote:
What do you think would happen if all hunting was closed in Alberta?
Perhaps little to nothing. This thread would have you believe that the increased predator population along with FN and poaching are keeping the ungulate numbers down all on their own
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=336062

so what were your words again, oh yea

Quote:
Dream away. I think you thoughts are illogical.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 01-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
You guys get it!!!

Just saw yesterday that they're well underway in shutting down the piece between Kananaskis and Bighorn. (i.e. Ghost / Waiperous) They're having another 'consultation' tomorrow, and you have to RSVP....

Once I can find the actual link I'll post it.
Do you have any info on these meetings? I can't find mention of it anywhere
Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
Do you have any info on these meetings? I can't find mention of it anywhere
I did some searching of the usual parks sites as well. Couldn't find anything other than those facebook screenshots. Will do some more digging and will post what I can find.

They talk about being transparent about these things, but all of the auto notifications I sign up for never seem to work. I keep checking on them and things sneak through.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=316286
Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 PM

Default North Saskatchewan Region plan – Bighorn Backcountry Areas - Land use planning - potential closures / reduced access - Y2Y agenda

Ghost Provincial Recreation Areas
Stakeholder Workshop
WE NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Alberta Parks is undertaking planning to improve and update the Ghost-Waiparous Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs). Your input will help us redesign PRAs to inspire and celebrate the unique recreational opportunities of the Ghost.
DATE: LOCATION:
TIME:
January 13, 2017
Cochrane Toyota - Community Room (8 River Heights Drive)
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Motorized Recreation Groups
1 p.m. - 5 p.m. Non-motorized recreation and environmental groups
RSVP with the names of 1-2 representatives from your organization. Refreshments and food will be provided.
For further information email: kananaskis.projects@gov.ab.ca
Ghost Provincial Recreation Areas | Stakeholder Workshop

Was a stake holder meeting. 2 meetings, one in the morning for motorized users and the afternoon meeting was for environmental groups and ngo,s. Ironic there was a environmental group disguised and a hunting and fishing group.
To get invited you would of got your name in at an above mentioned walkin presentation or been involved previously as a stake holder to attend or be a member of a stakeholder group and you are the deligate.
There was representation from af&ga. I was there for a motorized group.
There will be more open door meetings coming up and if you want in send a request email that is above.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 PM

My step dad was just telling me that they are setting their sights on WMU 525 for a caribou reserve, basically killing all the industry in the clear hills! No logging or oilfield activity, not sure about recreational access. Anyone else heard of this?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneman32 View Post
We love our outdoors and it doesn’t begin or stop with OHV Trails. Everyone is threaded. I created a fund to help with future costs of battling this movement.

If it is successful the monies will be sent to a cause decided by most popular vote and most need area.

Nobody is meant to be excluded from this not for profit fund. We all need our Eastern Slope open and Crown Land accessible! Let’s stop Y2Y together.

https://www.gofundme.com/save-albertas-ohv-trails

Thanks

Stewart Williamson
UTV Alberta - Facebook
What is your charitable status registration number?

What will the $5000 be spent on?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
My step dad was just telling me that they are setting their sights on WMU 525 for a caribou reserve, basically killing all the industry in the clear hills! No logging or oilfield activity, not sure about recreational access. Anyone else heard of this?
Yes. It’s true. And this instance is actually being pushed Federally by McKenna as well. There will be no recrestional access... it will be a nature reserve.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Ghost Provincial Recreation Areas
Stakeholder Workshop
WE NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Alberta Parks is undertaking planning to improve and update the Ghost-Waiparous Provincial Recreation Areas (PRAs). Your input will help us redesign PRAs to inspire and celebrate the unique recreational opportunities of the Ghost.
DATE: LOCATION:
TIME:
January 13, 2017
Cochrane Toyota - Community Room (8 River Heights Drive)
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Motorized Recreation Groups
1 p.m. - 5 p.m. Non-motorized recreation and environmental groups
RSVP with the names of 1-2 representatives from your organization. Refreshments and food will be provided.
For further information email: kananaskis.projects@gov.ab.ca
Ghost Provincial Recreation Areas | Stakeholder Workshop

Was a stake holder meeting. 2 meetings, one in the morning for motorized users and the afternoon meeting was for environmental groups and ngo,s. Ironic there was a environmental group disguised and a hunting and fishing group.
To get invited you would of got your name in at an above mentioned walkin presentation or been involved previously as a stake holder to attend or be a member of a stakeholder group and you are the deligate.
There was representation from af&ga. I was there for a motorized group.
There will be more open door meetings coming up and if you want in send a request email that is above.
So you have to be a member of an 'organization' to attend and 1 or 2 people allowed to attend. Joe public not welcome?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 AM

And more blatantly incorrect propaganda for those that don’t know the facts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F4E22122-DEED-49C8-B2E5-E6A8DAEAD44C.jpg (17.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 PM

When I moved to Alberta a few years ago, I fished Jasper national park almost exclusively , I found access to be restrictive to hiking and long distances having to be crossed for direct access to prime fishing spots as well as the regulations being very confusing with almost every watershed having different restrictions and opening and closing dates .

but I discovered the foothills around the bighorn and eastern slopes I found my access to be plentiful and easy while still staying on roads and low impact trails I found I could more quickly and easily access the lands and trails responsibly and respectfully which in turn allowed me to truly have access to the land.

to often I found bodies of water and streams that we're breathtaking to be restricted in a national park. I felt as if parks Canada guided me in a certain way and the true beauty of the land was lost in that sense of " do not enter or access requiring Parks Canada permission.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:39 PM

Here’s an opportunity for someone in NE Alberta.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/about/careers/pal/
Old 01-25-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
Just read this entire thread. It’s really coming across as divided people. In which is what phillips/Y2Y Want. Divide and conquer. They will eliminate each user group one at a time. You watch. Ohv was the easiest most visible target. Then camping. Soon will be hunters and anglers.
If YOU haven’t done any thorough research on Y2Y and their agenda... you better educate yourself. Quickly. Then realize we have an eco-extremist environment minister that is heavily affiliated with them.
So much of this thread... again all about ohv. You gotta look at the big picture. Everyone and I mean everyone will lose in the end.
Think of the little things that go with this...
So you don’t ride an ohv. Ok. NO more pulling your trailer out for open camping. No more firewood harvest for wood to heat your home. Castle is 107000 hectares. Now your dog must be on a 4 foot leash every inch of it. How are you going to hunt grouse with your dog on a leash and safely discharge your firearm? Cougar hunters? Nope not unless you can run and keep up with the dogs. Wanna take your kids out An shoot B.B. guns or sling shots? Nope. Nothing that fires any projectile is allowed. Except during hunting season... with a permit. Back country camper? Sorry no fires allowed unless in a designated fire ring. So after you 10km trek to that lake... have fun sitting around in the dark freezing your but off eating your freezdried meals no fire to cook on. Pull over on the side of the road and park to walk down to your favourite section of river? Nope... sorry illegal now. Must park in a designated parking area. Just added 5km walk to get there. Elderly folks or folks with disabilities will now have a very difficult time to access certain areas.
Eg South castle road provided access to many km for hunting, fishing, several hikes and camping. It is now closed to on highway vehicles. It was a freaking road. So now UNLESS you own an atv or horses... or are ABLE to walk that distance... sorry not for you.
I would love to have a horse, but I live in town, can’t afford one nor have time for one. So yes I have a sxs. I bought it purely to get my aging father to areas we hunt and fish. He’s 70 now. Now way in hell could he walk to these places anymore. My boy is only 1. It will be years before he can hike these distances.
No more getting away from it all... stuck in a campground paying the govt more money, listening to the drunks next door and smelling other peoples cooking.

Every group has its bad users...
Some hunters poach... anglers poach or use bait when not allowed...hikers litter...some people cut live trees... some campers leave behind garbage...
And yes some ohv go off the trail. Doesn’t mean they should shut everyone out.
Parks are proven to run at a loss... that money could have gone to better management and enforcement.
Y2Y is a real threat to outdoorsmen. They want people OUT of the mountains. Period. Unless we can all see past our differences and stand together, no matter what our outdoor pursuits are, we will lose.
We CAN find a way for all to use the land respectfully, and together.
Look at the NDP performance... lies lies lies... so if you think Phillips is telling you the truth... think again.
There is photo proof of her with Harvey Locke of Y2Y.
The castle was just the start... a trial run.
So they ignored some emails and letters, and a few small protests. No big deal to them. They put on consultations so people “think” their opinion matters... when it does not.
Y2Y and Phillips have an agenda... they are succeeding... and unless everyone rises up and says enough is enough... we will ALL lose.
Wow well written Nuk Soo Kow!! I have seen this post on several FB groups and so many folks agree and have stated how well written this is! Thank you!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 AM

My family and I have been against this right from the get go and have been writing letters - attending meetings and have been to all the rallies in Lethbridge - Calgary - Crowsnest and Edmonton!

A shout out to DON PARSONS - it was a pleasure to meet you and shake your hand at the Edmonton rally ;o)

We agree something needs to be done but to shut everything down and ban certain things completely is just Ludacris. There can be alternatives measures taken and sadly those are not being taken into consideration & don't even get me started on the lack of consultations. We do all outdoor activities year round - big game/bird/predator hunt - shed hunt - set trail cams - hike - fat bike - equestrian - random camp - just take a drive - ski and not so much anymore - ATV & are now thinking of getting into snow mobiling. We love that we have the "choice" to do these activities year round and love every minute of it. Although my husband and I are born and raised Albertan's - we've never spent any time in the Nordegg area. That is going to change and we are planning an ATV trip up there in a few months to take in some of the trails and see the beautiful backcountry up there before it is too late.

We will not stop fighting this and we hope more and more folks see what is taking place instead of the "dividing of groups" which seems to have taken place. We can ALL enjoy the back country - just need to come up with some solutions instead of banning and respect one another as a group. I may not like or enjoy some activities I see going on out there but I'm not going to jump on that "ban" band wagon..........Thanks Albertadiver for this thread - I enjoyed reading through it.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:26 PM

I say get rid of those so called cabins at the ski resort, tear down the ski hill. Get rid of the cattle. Come on we are trying to make this area wild again. No?

Tear out that hiway too.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2018, 03:12 PM

its time to start buying land so a guy can ride his quad and hunt with the kids and grand kids that is what I am trying to do
Old 01-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Default North Saskatchewan Region plan – Bighorn Backcountry Areas - Land use planning - potential closures / reduced access - Y2Y agenda

We need more national parks so they can be infiltrated with foreigners to enjoy the landscapes. Instead of the ppl who live here and want to enjoy their own backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainthopeacres View Post
My family and I have been against this right from the get go and have been writing letters - attending meetings and have been to all the rallies in Lethbridge - Calgary - Crowsnest and Edmonton!

A shout out to DON PARSONS - it was a pleasure to meet you and shake your hand at the Edmonton rally ;o)

We agree something needs to be done but to shut everything down and ban certain things completely is just Ludacris. There can be alternatives measures taken and sadly those are not being taken into consideration & don't even get me started on the lack of consultations. We do all outdoor activities year round - big game/bird/predator hunt - shed hunt - set trail cams - hike - fat bike - equestrian - random camp - just take a drive - ski and not so much anymore - ATV & are now thinking of getting into snow mobiling. We love that we have the "choice" to do these activities year round and love every minute of it. Although my husband and I are born and raised Albertan's - we've never spent any time in the Nordegg area. That is going to change and we are planning an ATV trip up there in a few months to take in some of the trails and see the beautiful backcountry up there before it is too late.

We will not stop fighting this and we hope more and more folks see what is taking place instead of the "dividing of groups" which seems to have taken place. We can ALL enjoy the back country - just need to come up with some solutions instead of banning and respect one another as a group. I may not like or enjoy some activities I see going on out there but I'm not going to jump on that "ban" band wagon..........Thanks Albertadiver for this thread - I enjoyed reading through it.
Thanks for the awesome post FHA. I do remember our visit up there in Edmonton, and yes,,, I along with many of us strive for the idea of "ALL." now is not the time to exclude 1 user group for our own interests at stake,,, and the way it's looking,,, there's alot on the table.

I agree, change needs to happen, it could be this or that, but to pull the rug out from under our feet is not fare.
Canada was built on the idea of fare practics and seeking input from the people that use this voting system.
It's called a Democratic Society,,, not a system that takes away just because a small group with lots of backing with funds can.

This area by its self is a very large part of the mix... Funding out side of Canada to influence the decisions with in. I wish I was intellect enough to go threw this category,,, but I'm not.
All I can say is that I'm dis-hartened to think that after all the BIG HORN ATV Society has done to promote responsible riding and practices is not getting a chance to have their say.

We, and a few of us with the BHAS checked out a few crossings that need fixing,,, and under the deal made with the GOA that we consult with them in the partner agreement of this.

Our / My good friend Cal asked countless times on all these matters with our present day government to revive nill from input on their reply.

The same thing they did to the Quad Squad in Southern Alberta and they still to this day have not respond to the fellow about the Escar trail asked by the out-fitter 2 Years ago.

All 140.000 OHV and Snowmobile folks don't get a say.

I to am more than just a OHV person like many others on this forum and others that are not.

We are people that hike, fish, walk, sight see, camp, boat, mountain bike, at one time the horses, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snow shoes and clean up every staging area I/ we come across.

I'm going to leave my post at that.

I hope we find common ground with in our selves to do what we can do to have unlimited access to our crown lands.

For our selves, next generations, and those that come to see what we have.
If this Y2Y thing happens, my 2 long time friends along with 4 others will no longer have access to visit the mountains they so dearly live to love.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 01-25-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Thanks for the awesome post FHA. I do remember our visit up there in Edmonton, and yes,,, I along with many of us strive for the idea of "ALL." now is not the time to exclude 1 user group for our own interests at stake,,, and the way it's looking,,, there's alot on the table.

I agree, change needs to happen, it could be this or that, but to pull the rug out from under our feet is not fare.
Canada was built on the idea of fare practics and seeking input from the people that use this voting system.
It's called a Democratic Society,,, not a system that takes away just because a small group with lots of backing with funds can.

This area by its self is a very large part of the mix... Funding out side of Canada to influence the decisions with in. I wish I was intellect enough to go threw this category,,, but I'm not.
All I can say is that I'm dis-hartened to think that after all the BIG HORN ATV Society has done to promote responsible riding and practices is not getting a chance to have their say.

We, and a few of us with the BHAS checked out a few crossings that need fixing,,, and under the deal made with the GOA that we consult with them in the partner agreement of this.

Our / My good friend Cal asked countless times on all these matters with our present day government to revive nill from input on their reply.

The same thing they did to the Quad Squad in Southern Alberta and they still to this day have not respond to the fellow about the Escar trail asked by the out-fitter 2 Years ago.

All 140.000 OHV and Snowmobile folks don't get a say.

I to am more than just a OHV person like many others on this forum and others that are not.

We are people that hike, fish, walk, sight see, camp, boat, mountain bike, at one time the horses, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snow shoes and clean up every staging area I/ we come across.

I'm going to leave my post at that.

I hope we find common ground with in our selves to do what we can do to have unlimited access to our crown lands.

For our selves, next generations, and those that come to see what we have.
If this Y2Y thing happens, my 2 long time friends along with 4 others will no longer have access to visit the mountains they so dearly live to love.

Don
^^^^^^x2^^^^^^
Old 01-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Banned

Default Open House

Jason Nixon, MLA for Rimbey/Rocky/Sundre will be hosting an open house Feb 7 at 7 p.m. in the Dovercourt Hall. (South of Rocky on hwy 22).

Topic at hand will be on the proposed changes to the Big Horn.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:15 AM

I read through most of this, its hard to follow, can someone post the link of what the government is proposing? theres lots of speculation on here, and links to y2y and such, but isn't y2y just a group that's giving the government there opinion? the government will be the one proposing changes to the puplic will it not?