Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

Just tax the fatties that consume sugar not the proper weighted people who consume it.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Life insurance companies charge higher premiums for smokers, don't know if the same holds true for whales.
Very harsh.

Where would you draw the line. An incremental premium increase over and above a perfect weight?

Everyone in your family Olympic athletes?

What about people who suffered trama such as rape. You going to call them whales? Seriously now.

Thread is getting detailed from big brother taxing food to name calling people of which some may be reading this and are greatly offended.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-15-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
There are way more obese people these days than when I was a kid, so much more that they call it an epidemic.
It is true. Weight is an issue.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
People might be genetically of a larger frame, but that has nothing to do with whether they're obese or not. Anyone arguing otherwise is only deluding themselves, people don't get fat by eating normal quantities of food and getting adequate exercise. Some seek an excuse where the answer is in the first law of thermodynamics; now an animal is not a closed loop as it ingests food and expels waste, but where the law applies is that it cannot create energy, any energy it has (fat stores) is converted from food intake that is in excess of the calories it burns. The caloric math is pretty simple.
Yes. Over eating is the main contributor after exercise. However psychological factors also play as is food addiction.

People have sympathy for alcohol, tobacco and drug addiction and it should also apply to food.

No one is arguing food is needed to gain weight. Some people seem to think a solution is simple whereas there are complications depending upon the individual.

Also some of the larger football and sumo athletes are in great shape but big.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:01 PM

I guess they never learned anything from the boston tea party
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-15-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Theres sugar in just about everything not just POP

examples

Sauces & Instant Gravies (Barbeque Sauce)
Up to 38% Sugar
Sauces & Instant Gravies High in Sugar (Percent Sugar): Cranberry Sauce (38%), Pickle Relish (29%), Hoisin Sauce (27%), Pork Gravy Powder (25%), Instant Beef Gravy (24%), Peanut Sauce (19%), Sweet & Sour Sauce (19%), Teriyaki Sauce (14%), Cocktail Sauce (12%), Tomato Chili Sauce (11%), Pasta Sauces (6-10%), Cheese Sauce Mix, Steak Sauce & Worcestershire Sauce (10%), Instant Turkey Gravy (7%), Salsa (4-6%), and Tartar Sauce (4%).

Just another Liberal pull the wool over the public eyes tax
Old 01-15-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yes. Over eating is the main contributor after exercise. However psychological factors also play as is food addiction.

People have sympathy for alcohol, tobacco and drug addiction and it should also apply to food.

No one is arguing food is needed to gain weight. Some people seem to think a solution is simple whereas there are complications depending upon the individual.

Also some of the larger football and sumo athletes are in great shape but big.
Such a slippery slope. I do feel for people that have let themselves go to the point of no return. There are some that are so heavy that even with the discipline and effort of an elite athlete, the goal is pretty much insurmountable
without surgery as help.

Health is wealth

Last edited by 1899b; 01-15-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Next thread = charging passengers for their body weight and their luggage weight on the plane! Loo
Old 01-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Next thread = charging passengers for their body weight and their luggage weight on the plane! Loo
Not a bad idea.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Plus a surcharge for what's flowing over the arm rest onto my side.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 PM

Probably rather than targeting obese people it’s more along the lines of reducing the volume of refined sugars people consume which is part of the cause for type 2 diabetes which is running rampant at the moment. A huge draw on the health care system.
Either way having too much will harm you. Same as smoking or liquor.

Last edited by roughneckin; 01-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

They should tax Snotley and Turdolt fer wastin our air, seems that’s all they are good at!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM

Default history

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
True. Governments (federal, provincial,municipal) are Broke across the developed countries. Benefits the unions were promised, pensions, early retirement, increases on government payroll. The list goes on. Services are not becoming better for your dollar. Taxes will increase, until it cannot. Then revolt will happen. People will be hurt and perish (Venezuela). 2032 (14 years from now)is the year. Be prepared. China, Asian countries will be the most powerful country in the world. The $$$ greenback will fall. Then all s&xt hits fan.
PB43
ahhhh sooooo right and history repeats itself again and again and again----
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Very harsh.

Where would you draw the line. An incremental premium increase over and above a perfect weight?
Not that I'd support this, but for the sake of the discussion, couldn't be a weight, more of a BMI type of thing. If 25 is considered healthy, make it anyone above 32 for example, giving people some leeway.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
True. Governments (federal, provincial,municipal) are Broke across the developed countries. Benefits the unions were promised, pensions, early retirement, increases on government payroll. The list goes on. Services are not becoming better for your dollar. Taxes will increase, until it cannot. Then revolt will happen. People will be hurt and perish (Venezuela). 2032 (14 years from now)is the year. Be prepared. China, Asian countries will be the most powerful country in the world. The $$$ greenback will fall. Then all s&xt hits fan.
PB43
Agree that our ponzi pensions are a severe liability and that increasing taxes has a limit.

However, we are not a sovereign nation, like Venezuela is. We would never be in that situation.

We answer to Basel, as does China. We're on the same side.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Ok - so maybe a tax isn't the answer .....

Maybe we can take a page from Trump's travel ban and ban the obese from restaurants or from buying sugary snacks at the grocery or convenience stores.

Image the money you could make black marketing chips, pop and candy bars out of the trunk of your car?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ok - so maybe a tax isn't the answer .....

Maybe we can take a page from Trump's travel ban and ban the obese from restaurants or from buying sugary snacks at the grocery or convenience stores.

Image the money you could make black marketing chips, pop and candy bars out of the trunk of your car?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:32 PM

Bloomberg tried to get this thru in NYC a few years back, he came close.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Very harsh.

Everyone in your family Olympic athletes?

What about people who suffered trama such as rape. You going to call them whales? Seriously now.

Thread is getting detailed from big brother taxing food to name calling people of which some may be reading this and are greatly offended.
Waaa! I smoked for 30 years and enjoyed it. Smokers were the pariahs of society and easy pickings for the tax-man. No-one had sympathy for us or gave a toss as to why we smoked and why should they? I quit when a pack hit $10 that was the breaking point as most of it is tax. Governments need the money but people are quitting in droves so now they are going after the next low hanging fruit. People become obese? Fine, let them, but if they w ant sympathy from me I will direct them to the dictionary.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Waaa! I smoked for 30 years and enjoyed it. Smokers were the pariahs of society and easy pickings for the tax-man. No-one had sympathy for us or gave a toss as to why we smoked and why should they? I quit when a pack hit $10 that was the breaking point as most of it is tax. Governments need the money but people are quitting in droves so now they are going after the next low hanging fruit. People become obese? Fine, let them, but if they w ant sympathy from me I will direct them to the dictionary.
What crude, arrogant and rude names did people call you for being a smoker?

I would disagree. People know the addictive qualities of nicotine. People have friends and family that want to quit but can't.

Oh well.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:

I would disagree. People know the addictive qualities of nicotine. People have friends and family that want to quit but can't.

Oh well.
True story, a funny observation that i have made over the last few years is that when i tell people that i don't drink(never quit officially but it's been so many years that i might as well have) or smoke(quit18years ago) anymore it hardly gets anyone's attention, BUT when i tell the same people that i no longer consume sugar(5 years) they turn their head's sideways and their eye's protrude from their skulls as they gasp and look at me like i just transformed in to a three headed fire breathing ostrich right in front of them.

Sugar is a hell of a drug!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Oh well.
The generic crap like 'Smells like a dirty ash tray" etc. but the point is smokers pay an undue amount of extra taxes and higher insurance premiums. Names? who cares? But money hungry governments are out for more sources of revenue because they lack the discipline to cut back on their appetites too, gluttony is one of the big seven. Why else do you think selfie boy is pushing to legalise dope?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
True story, a funny observation that i have made over the last few years is that when i tell people that i don't drink(never quit officially but it's been so many years that i might as well have) or smoke(quit18years ago) anymore it hardly gets anyone's attention, BUT when i tell the same people that i no longer consume sugar(5 years) they turn their head's sideways and their eye's protrude from their skulls as they gasp and look at me like i just transformed in to a three headed fire breathing ostrich right in front of them.

Sugar is a hell of a drug!
Ha ha yup. I live that daily being a bodybuilder that has implemented a keto diet. I would get less looks and comments if I laid out an 8 ball and started snorting rails in front of some. Crazy...
Old 01-16-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
The generic crap like 'Smells like a dirty ash tray" etc. but the point is smokers pay an undue amount of extra taxes and higher insurance premiums. Names? who cares? But money hungry governments are out for more sources of revenue because they lack the discipline to cut back on their appetites too, gluttony is one of the big seven. Why else do you think selfie boy is pushing to legalise dope?
The guise of big brother wanting to "help" make our decisions could definitely be the ruse to get more tax money from the people.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:12 AM
Banned

https://pjmedia.com/trending/soda-ta...grips-seattle/

Quote:
On January 1, Seattle had several new progressive laws go into effect. Along with mandatory paid sick leave, mandates for employers to post work schedules 14 days in advance, and severe restrictions on short-term rental platforms (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.), Seattle imposed a massive new soda tax — 1.75 cents per OUNCE on sugary drinks.

In response, at least one major retailer advertised in detail the reason for the significant increase in prices.

Costco, famous for selling products in bulk quantities, faces especially stiff price increases. On the previously mentioned pallet of 35 bottles of Gatorade, a list price of $15.99 is taxed $10.34, with a total cost of $26.33. Signs all over the Seattle stores list the tax separately, and then have another sign offering solutions to the consumer:
Old 01-16-2018, 06:38 AM

Further to my last post, no-one since ww2 has been more discriminated against than smokers. Herded into ever smaller spaces to indulge in their pleasure, called out as the bogey man by junk science (second and third hand smoke) as ridiculous as agw "Science". Gun owners haven't even had to put up with as much crap as smokers. Now they're coming for the sweet tooth.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
That was an interesting read. Though I do like when businesses explain why prices have gone up. Seems these days people are so oblivious that it needs to be front and center. Usually it's because of the government so many of them voted for.

"Prices going up cause of minimum wage/government loves to tax everything"

Response from the uneducated idiots "reeeeeeeeeeee businesses are evil!!!!"
Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Per pound??? Uh no. Lets do body fat percentage please....
No doubt! I'm 6'2" and 205lbs, bmi says I should be 170lbs, but I've got a 32"waist! It's all in my legs and shoulders! I'd be taxed as fat even though I take care of myself just because I'm heavy!

On anòther note, I was at a friend's house for dinner, and I went to get a ham out to cook, and his freezer looks like a superstore dessert section! Frozen treats everywhere! Something that I might indulge in a couple times a year is part of their daily diet! Genetics seems like a handy scapegoat. I have never heard of anyone who actually takes their diet and fitness seriously who remains obese. In fact, the opposite seems to be the trend.
But taxing people for being overweight, that just adds insult to injury. That just increases stress levels and that increases comfort food consumption!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Last edited by 1899b; 01-16-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Too much sugar in the tea....and there are only so many suppliers of false teeth in this country so tax the sugar and save a tooth or two....was over there in the 80's and man some hot woman until they smiled

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...