Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Exactly if you only have a few knives and don't mind taking forever to sharpen them, then stones/water/oil are fine. When you have about 30 knives kitchen and family hunting/fishing knives combined the work sharp style is the only way to go.
I have 4 katz knives 2 lion kings and alley cat and a predator11 by katz,3 russel knives ,6 other decent hunting knives,4 of the older normark fillet knives,2 buck fillet knives,plus my good axes for staking claims and cutting posts,my ice auger blades,and some small pocket knives,then there's the household kitchen wear and I can do the whole works in couple hours.

That's a pile of blades to sharpen,my eyes aren't what they use to be so staring at a stone for 15 minutes for one good sharpening job is not going to happen.i bought 2 of these work sharp's a while ago incase one breaks.

When I am in camp or out on a hunting trip some guys or guides carry a not so sharp knife and I do every ones for 2 bucks a piece.All that does is pay for belts.For a hundred or so bucks you can't go wrong,but don't go crazy with the 220 belt or you can bugger up a knife.That 6000 belt compound on it is use to polish F-16's so you won't hurt your knife.I carry an inverter in my truck or boat so they can work in most places specially when fishing.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:49 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=16378311

Some excellent advice.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
Very much disagree. If you take a little time and read the manual, watch some YouTube you will be able to sharpen any knife razor sharp.
I am a collector of fine knives and have never ruined any of my knives or took to much stock off. Even high end custom knives are made on a belt sander, so they can't be that bad.
Disagree with what? I didn't say you couldn't get a sharp edge with one. I said your removing more stock then a bench stone. If you disagree with that, no problem. Being opinionated doesn't make you right. They're your knives and you can do whatever you want with them.
I know how customs can be made with stock removal methods, all of my hunting knives are custom.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:36 PM

I am of the similar opinion with Coiloil37

BTW, Coiloil37 knows what he is talking about.....very knowledgeable member relating to knives and the different steel(s).

I share your methods and understand the advice you provide to others.

Over the years and with much poorer steel, I have made my share of mistakes.

Now, the newer sharpening methods can be somewhat easier however they are not the be-all / end-all; but the new steels mentioned in this thread are the deal breakers.
Combine the two and you'll be impressed; and everyone will be asking you to work on their knife, especially your kitchen boss.....

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 PM

I have a worksharp belt sharpener and also use an edgepro apex. I like the edgepro better. I found it very easy to take the tips off a knife with the worksharp.

I put magnets on the edgepro table to hold the knife and that really made a big difference in results. There are a few easy mods that can be done with edgepro to make it perform better.

One thing I like with edgepro is that I can follow the blade angle on any knife, infinitely adjustable. You are not stuck with preset angles. Use a black marker on edge and adjust until you take the marker off. Keep the angle the blade was made with not give it a new one.

Both systems give good results.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
For a finished edge on filleting knives. Works great. And you don't know it but you already own the sharpener. This is what I use for my knives.

Go to your cupboard and get a good ceramic cup. The bottom of the cup typically is not glazed like the cup and is a raw ceramic. The bottom of the cup is just as good as any ceramic sharpener. Running your filleting knife blade over the cup bottom a few times is great for touching up a finished edge while working. Ideally, blade edges should be sharpened at a 17 to 20 degree angle.
Nice tip... ill have to try that.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Disagree with what? I didn't say you couldn't get a sharp edge with one. I said your removing more stock then a bench stone. If you disagree with that, no problem. Being opinionated doesn't make you right. They're your knives and you can do whatever you want with them.
I know how customs can be made with stock removal methods, all of my hunting knives are custom.
All good no need to get upset. Everyone has there own opinion. I was just expressing that I have quality knives that I sharpen with a work sharp and I have not removed excess stock or done any damage to my knives. I also have a Gatco system with diamond stones and it also works great but sharpening becomes a chore. With the work sharp all my knives are razor sharp all the time. Great in the kitchen cause they get the most wear.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Wicked edge - but stupid expensive.
That is what I use. And I agree.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 PM

Wicked edge works great for me!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:47 PM

I like my Ken Onion edition, I didn't have much luck with a Lansky kit, this belt job works better for me.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 PM

Doesn't this one look skookum though? :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SbEWFSA8s
Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Hell I never thought that wicked edge was that much cause a guest brought one up and gave it to me as gift and I was in hurry and nicked my finger and stomped on it and put in the garbage.Oh well, I still like my set up ,but like I say don't go crazy with the 220 belt or you will ruin a blade.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
... a guest brought one up and gave it to me as gift, and I was in hurry and nicked my finger and stomped on it and put in the garbage...
Is that what you do with all the gifts that people give you, stomp on them & throw it in the trash ?

And WorkSharp belt sharpeners are great, if a convex grind is your thing. To each their own.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Doesn't this one look skookum though? :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SbEWFSA8s
It would take me a few days trying to assemble it, I think...
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Is that what you do with all the gifts that people give you, stomp on them & throw it in the trash ?

And WorkSharp belt sharpeners are great, if a convex grind is your thing. To each their own.
When your having a busy day and you have a hundred fish to clean so you can go have your supper,gift's are just material things,if my grand children got it for me of coarse I would keep it,but this guy has 3000 employees who gave this to me so no sweat of his nuts paid for it.I do over 10000 fish per season, if not way more so a knife means very little to me if the blade is ruined a little,the plane comes in every day so I can have one within hours.
The work sharp does them fast and fast is what I need,not two swaying bars back and forth taking up my time .That's ok if your doing a few knives for a hunting trip or you have plenty of time.

Like I said 4 times the work sharp can ruin a knife if not careful with a certain belt,but that's my choice and has zero to do with you or how I value my items.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post

When your having a busy day and you have a hundred fish to clean so you can go have your supper,gift's are just material things,if my grand children got it for me of coarse I would keep it,but this guy has 3000 employees who gave this to me so no sweat of his nuts paid for it.I do over 10000 fish per season, if not way more so a knife means very little to me if the blade is ruined a little,the plane comes in every day so I can have one within hours.
The work sharp does them fast and fast is what I need,not two swaying bars back and forth taking up my time .That's ok if your doing a few knives for a hunting trip or you have plenty of time.

Like I said 4 times the work sharp can ruin a knife if not careful with a certain belt,but that's my choice and has zero to do with you or how I value my items.

I'm curious, why wouldn't you spend the money to buy a knife that can process those fish without needing to be sharpened or losing its edge daily? You said "a knife means nothing to me". It probably would if you had one that made your life easier by being a razor sharp joy to use through a couple hundred fish before losing its shaving edge.
Then when your sitting around with a drink and not trying to work, spending a couple five minutes restoring that edge wouldn't be such a chore.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
It would take me a few days trying to assemble it, I think...
Nah, I have one. All you need to do is turn a few threaded bits and it is all together.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Wet/dry sandpaper. Cheap, readily available, and readily replaceable if you ruin it...
Old 01-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, why wouldn't you spend the money to buy a knife that can process those fish without needing to be sharpened or losing its edge daily? You said "a knife means nothing to me". It probably would if you had one that made your life easier by being a razor sharp joy to use through a couple hundred fish before losing its shaving edge.
Then when your sitting around with a drink and not trying to work, spending a couple five minutes restoring that edge wouldn't be such a chore.
Do tell me about these knives that can hold their edge that long. I’ve been missing out, never had one that can stay sharp for that long. I have some very nice knives, but nothing that could go through a couple hundred fish.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballs View Post
Do tell me about these knives that can hold their edge that long. I’ve been missing out, never had one that can stay sharp for that long. I have some very nice knives, but nothing that could go through a couple hundred fish.
If you can put the sarcasm away for a little while call Phil Wilson. Have a chat with him, he's a great guy that will give you the straight goods.

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com

He's the pinnacle of geometry, heat treat and steel. A living legend in the knife making world and getting one of his knives is kind of like winning the lotto.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Buy whatever knife you want and go skin ever thing ,plus I don't drink in camp or while I am away on the pipeline,i have the odd one when company comes over at home,which has nothing do with you.

This a big world and every one has there own way of doing things ,and I am a long way from perfect,but smart enough not to tell someone I know zero about what they do on there job site.Were just talking about knife sharpeners not personal lives.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Wet/dry sandpaper. Cheap, readily available, and readily replaceable if you ruin it...

I have this set-up for my chisel blades. Various grades of wet/dry paper and abrasive 3M sheets all the way down to 0.5 micron. Those and a Lee Valley Veritas roller guide on top of a slab of granite make for some darned sharp woodworking chisels. The steel is polished to a mirror finish when you get down to 0.5 micron.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That is what I use. And I agree.
Wicked Edge sounds terrific but as stated they are extremely expensive.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I have this set-up for my chisel blades. Various grades of wet/dry paper and abrasive 3M sheets all the way down to 0.5 micron. Those and a Lee Valley Veritas roller guide on top of a slab of granite make for some darned sharp woodworking chisels. The steel is polished to a mirror finish when you get down to 0.5 micron.
Once you move to a slight hollow grind on a bench grinder with a white wheel, free hand sharpening and stropping becomes so simple you will wonder why you never did it before. With a slight hollow grind it is dead easy to register the chisel on your stone and a few swipes later you are back in business hair popping sharp! Same goes for your plane blades. I will never go back to using a jig again. Such a time saver...
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Are you using the diamond lapping films going down that fine? I really like them.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Default Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubber View Post
Hey there everyone. I got the million dollar question for you all. What's is the best Knife sharpener out there that people use especially on fillet knifes.
Old school sharpening stone.. the square stone. 20 deg angle and your good. No matter what you will always sharpen a knife and will get better at it. 🖒😉
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 PM

Edge pro apex and strop work great.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Edge pro, stones.
The wife bought me one of these for x'mas in 2017. Up til then I used stones and steel and I never needed anything else. But after figuring this system out (took me 10 min's or so to get it down) I find I really like it. Put's an edge you can shave with on the knives faster than I can do it by hand with a stone. If you feel you need a system, this one is a good value and simple enough to use.

As for filleting knives, by a Cutco filetting knife.

https://www.cutco.com/products/produ...11qk17t9uc8l5y

I've had one for years and never do more than a couple strops on my diamond steel to keep it tuned up. They're so sharp, I have to run the edge over a piece of wood once to 'tone it down' a notch or else I go through the skins when lifting the meat off.

You can change the blade from 6" to 9" on the fly in about 2 seconds. Love that feature. I leave it at 6" while pulling the filets off my walleye and change it out to 9" for lifting the meat off the skin.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM

I have the work sharp & I don't like it much. I ruined an expensive knife with it and ever since pretty much leave it parked.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 PM

I bought a work sharp at Cabelas. Brought it home, took it out of the box and tried it. I find you can round the edge of a blade quite easy. I packaged it up and took it back.