Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Defenders

Just wondering how many bowhunters carry defenders?? Will a FW officer bother me if I am carrying a firearm during archery season?? I have been thinking more and more about carrying one but I also love my current gear setup. thanks for you opinions.
goose
Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Default defenders schmefenders

Heya Goosefrabba!! I have never carried anything but my bow and the knife strapped to my hindside. Way I see it, if I can't protect myself with those, it will take to long to get my gun out anyways. JMHO.
junkie
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM

beter check with f&w to be sure. but i was told at the tackel shack by an employee that i could carry a shotgun for protection, no rifle, haven't carried one yet but am seriously thinking about it next year with all the grizzley sign i saw last fall south of Grande Prairie
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter tyson View Post
beter check with f&w to be sure. but i was told at the tackel shack by an employee that i could carry a shotgun for protection, no rifle, haven't carried one yet but am seriously thinking about it next year with all the grizzley sign i saw last fall south of Grande Prairie
I don't see the difference between a rifle and a shotgun, they are BOTH fire arms.
FWIW, there is no law that I am aware of in Alberta against carrying a non restricted fire arm at any time in outside a town, except maybe in areas like parks.
USING it may have some negative effects, but that would be AFTER the fact now, wouldn't it?
Cat
Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM

we always took a defender type shotgun along with us bear hunting....the small shotgun is fairly easy to transport and is a comfort in situations like tree stands etc......having a 500pd boar on the ground looking up, popping his gums is a frightening scene.....luckily he stayed on the ground
my fave is my mossberg with pistol grip set up.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Banned

We carry Rem Defender pistol grips. They fit in a back pack style scaberd perfectly.

They are legal to carry.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

the moment ur government denies u the ability to smartly and subsequently defend yourself or your family is the moment you know you do not live in a free country anymore!!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Why not, get your self a game bird licence, and you are grouse hunting. Whos to judge on that.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

No law stopping you from carrying a firearm anytime of the year. As long as the firearm is legal so are you.
SG
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Back in the days I packed a rem 870 pistol gripped 12 ga when I was archery hunting. One season of having a shotgun loaded with 8rounds of slugs & buck slung on my back plus packing the bow which was no lightweight either and other hunting gear was enough. Went and bought the best bear spray on the market and a holster and have never looked back. If a menacing bear sprang on ya out of the bushes you'd never have time to unsling that shotgun and defend yourself anyhow unless you're carring it at full ready at the time. Just my view from here.

ruger300
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM

I carry my marlin guide gun most of the time, nothing illegal about it as far as I know. One zone I hunt is open for some species for rifle at the same time as others for archery so it opens up some longer shots that you can't get with the bow. That how I got my wt this year, was sitting in a tree stand waiting for an archery moose to wander by and shot a wt buck at 110 yrds with the rifle instead.