Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM

Default First Rifle

Im looking to buy my first rifle for deer hunting. Ive been shopping around online for a while and the Tikka T3 has caught my eye. I was wondering if someone with experience with this rifle would be able to point out some advantages/disadvantages and the differences between the lite and hunter models.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this topic has been brought up before
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM

It's ok to ask, but I think you are better served to actually go shoulder some rifles and see if the that rifle in the picture, actually fits you and feels good in your hands.

T3's have a fine reputation, and I really like mine, especially after I added an aftermarket recoil pad, and put a set of lower rings on it because the comb is a tad low to the bore line.

Good luck.

Let us know what you decide on.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Tikka T3

Very good accuracy right out of the box! Nice and light, good for hunting, because it's easier to pack, and that's what we do the most of. Might want to change the pad or the cheap plastic stock at a later date!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM

Well Chris as Dick284 has pointed out they are an awesome rifle with a couple of minor shortcomings.I too would advise a better pad and I found a scope with genrous eye relief improved my shooting with mine.But go shoulder a bunch of different rifles and see which one fits you best.

-Teddy Roosevelt
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

The T3 is a good rifle. It is of higher quality then many other brands, but it is still affordable.

When choosing your first rifle, you need to figure out which rifle fits you best, what caliber would be suitable for what you want to hunt, and what price range you can afford. When looking at caliber, you also need to know how you feel about recoil. Some calibers and rifles have more felt recoil then other rifles in the same caliber due to such things as the weight of the rifle, and how it fits the shooter. When choosing the caliber, the biggest caliber is not always the best if it is not fun to shoot. Good shot placement is more important then a powerful caliber.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone! I will take this information with me this weekend when I go to look and possibly purchase my first rifle.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 AM

The T3's are a great rifle. I have 2 but in the LS models. I dont care for the synthetic stock of the Tikka after owing a few Sako m75ss rifles.

Great shooters, silky smooth action. I have had my 2 T3's new since Sept. 2004.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Dick284;1864850]I think you are better served to actually go shoulder some rifles and see if the that rifle in the picture, actually fits you and feels good in your hands.[QUOTE]

X2

Lots of choices out there. take your time, fell, hold, shoulder all the makes and models
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeFishing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I think you are better served to actually go shoulder some rifles and see if the that rifle in the picture, actually fits you and feels good in your hands.
X2

Lots of choices out there. take your time, fell, hold, shoulder all the makes and models
Just read this fellow's thread on exactly the same topic he started a few days ago. Good stuff there.

Hey Zee, you're already giving advice on this subject??? LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Just read this fellow's thread on exactly the same topic he started a few days ago. Good stuff there.

Hey Zee, you're already giving advice on this subject??? LOL
LOL... well yeah!, I just went through this. you think you know what you want until you see and feel whats available and it can get confusing. i think its important to take your time and be happy with your choice
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM

This is the thread that Okotokian is talking about
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=167335

I got tons and tons of helpful info and advice from AO members. Its kindda funny to see where I started and ended and how many times I changed my mind lol. but at the end im very happy with my final choice and it was all thanks to AO members giving me there advice

Good luck
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeFishing View Post
Its kindda funny to see where I started and ended and how many times I changed my mind lol.
yeah, you're now an honourary woman. LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
yeah, you're now an honourary woman. LOL

lol. oh man, I was going crazy trying to make up my mind
Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM

when i was looking for my first rifle not too long ago the t3 and a7 kept coming up as suggestions... went to the store to check one out, came out with an x-bolt and could not be happier.

best advice anyone ever gave me is go shoulder them at the store and see what fits you best
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 AM

Default Remington Model 700 VTR Bolt Action Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..Chris.. View Post
Im looking to buy my first rifle for deer hunting. Ive been shopping around online for a while and the Tikka T3 has caught my eye. I was wondering if someone with experience with this rifle would be able to point out some advantages/disadvantages and the differences between the lite and hunter models.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this topic has been brought up before
Chris we are in the same boat and for my first rifle in over 30 years I am buying a Remington Model 700 VTR Bolt Action Rifle in .308 Win. Not sure what scope, I will see what they have and recommend where I buy it but I certainly will not skimp on optics. That is my 2 cents worth at approximately $750.00 + optics.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 AM

Default Changed My Mind A Littke Bit! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman57 View Post
Chris we are in the same boat and for my first rifle in over 30 years I am buying a Remington Model 700 VTR Bolt Action Rifle in .308 Win. Not sure what scope, I will see what they have and recommend where I buy it but I certainly will not skimp on optics. That is my 2 cents worth at approximately $750.00 + optics.
Actually I want the Remington 700 VTR A-TACS in both 308 and 223. I found them on sale from $960.00 down to $760.00. I will put Millet DMS scopes on each rifle for a total of about $1,100.00 each including tax.
Scott
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 AM

As has already been said , T3's are a nice rifle .. accurate and smooth action , maybe even a little too light weight for some in the larger calibers but dependable . I enjoy both mine , 22-250 and 300 Win Mag . I'm a lefty and to find a Stainless / Synthetic with a DBM was sure a bonus .. Check em out , don't think you'll be disappointed .
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM

The Tikka T3 is a very nice rifle. Shoots great with a very tight action.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:03 PM

Thanks alot everyone! I got impatient and ended up at Wholesale Sports today. Shouldered many rifles and after a while, I ended up walking out of there with a Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag. This rifle was in my price range, felt good when in shooting poistion, and has a detachable magazine which I really like.

Any thoughts on this rifle? Wouldnt mind some feedback from someone with more gun experience then I have.

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2013, 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=Karna;1865770]when i was looking for my first rifle not too long ago the t3 and a7 kept coming up as suggestions... went to the store to check one out, came out with an x-bolt and could not be happier.

that happened to me too, i love that xbolt! but my first was a remington 700 7mm rem mag, i think thats the greatest rifle i ever fired.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 AM

I own a tikka t3 lite In a 25-06 for deer!! Amazing gun. Accurate light! Wouldn't use another gun!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress13 View Post
I own a tikka t3 lite In a 25-06 for deer!! Amazing gun. Accurate light! Wouldn't use another gun!!!!
But also, my first deer gun was a savage270 and I wouldn't sell it for anything. It is a great gun.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:07 AM

Default Good choice brother!

Quote:
Thanks alot everyone! I got impatient and ended up at Wholesale Sports today. Shouldered many rifles and after a while, I ended up walking out of there with a Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag. This rifle was in my price range, felt good when in shooting poistion, and has a detachable magazine which I really like.

Any thoughts on this rifle? Wouldnt mind some feedback from someone with more gun experience then I have.

Thanks again
As long as you like the price and feel of it, different for everyone! Congrats!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks again
Be consistent with your ammo, practice, and you'll love it. Awesome caliber!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks again
Nice! I was in there a couple weeks ago looking for a 116 Savage in 7mmRM and they didn't have any so i was very close to picking up the same rifle you bought, think it was their last one there but i was set on the 116... very nice gun and lots of people have had great success with the savages as long as you can get trough their appearance. you got the one with the accutrigger and accustock right?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Yes Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock on the one I purchased. I did not buy a scope when I bought my rifle because they didnt have any bases to mount it. I decided on a Vortex Diamond Back with BDC reticle. It was suggested with the 7mm Rem Mag that I go with a 4x12x20. (if anyone was wondering about the scope)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yes Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock on the one I purchased. I did not buy a scope when I bought my rifle because they didnt have any bases to mount it. I decided on a Vortex Diamond Back with BDC reticle. It was suggested with the 7mm Rem Mag that I go with a 4x12x20. (if anyone was wondering about the scope)
Great choice on the scope. I went in looking to spend $500+ on a scope and that Vortex stood up just fine.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

Ok... time to upset the apple cart.

First... there is nothing wrong with T3's

Except you can get the same quality for less from a half dozen other companies.

Now I understand that anyone would be loath to spend 8 or 900 hundred on a rifle then admit that but its true and we all know it.

You can get just as much out of aaVanguard for about 300 bucks less AND... the synthetics already have a nice recoil pad if you need it.
For about the same money you can have a Vanguard with a nice wood stock and the promise of a sub-MOA rifle... if that floats your boat.
Not that most rifles aren't sub-MOA at 100 anyway...

If money is an issue.... there are other starter rifles... complete with the same plastic bits that Tika's have and they come in at starter prices of less than 400bucks. Both have accu-style triggers. One has a DBM.

The Savage Axis and the Marlin XL7 rifles.... for instance.
Both are more accurate than 99.999% of shooters ever will be and that might be good enough.
They are also light and have small grips for younger shooters or folks with small hands.

Two more things to add...

Save some money for your optics.
There is no point in buying a good rifle then cheaping out on the sights and buggering yourself.

And....

Save some money for ammo.
Most center fires on the market today are better than the guys behind them.
They are well made and accurate...they do not need anything but a well practiced shooter to prove that.
Its a new rifle and a relatively new shooter... at least to that weapon... time on the trigger is more important than what brand rifle you buy.

I hope you enjoy the new rifle... happy trails.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM

The savage axis isn't even in the same league as the T3's. Cycle the the bolt on them both, the savage feels rough and sloppy. Yes the axis shoots quite well but they look like something only a mother could love.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The savage axis isn't even in the same league as the T3's. Cycle the the bolt on them both, the savage feels rough and sloppy. Yes the axis shoots quite well but they look like something only a mother could love.
Sure they are rough til they break in and ugly and the magazine looks and feels like the love child of a coffee can and a coke bottle... but they are less than half the price... and for some folks that is the difference between getting decent sights and practice ammo.
In the end... T3's are cursed with some of the same "improvements" but for more money.

Like I said... for most shooters... the potential for greater accuracy that T3 might have is moot... they will never benefit from it.

Now... hands down the Tikka will sell for more down the road but... depreciation of the base cost might actually be more to.

To be honest... I just wanted to express another view for the OP to consider.
Tikka owners will tend to favour Tikkas and that is hardly un-bias... Remmy 700 owners tend to favour 700's etc...so I offered another view to consider before making his own decisssion.

I favour Vanguards for moderate priced quality.... but then I've never dropped the money on a Tikka although I have shot a couple.
I did own an Edge... now called the Axis... I sold it but not because of performance or quality... I just wanted to make room for something else.