Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 11:37 AM

Default Begginer recreational kayak

I am thinking of getting a sit in model 10ft. Just for some summer fun on the lake.
Anybody with some advice, or someone who is selling one of these
Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Costco in the spring if you can wait. They sell the whole deal, paddles and foamies for the vehicle roof. Best price too and they are good kayaks.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Banned

Kayaks are more fun on a river or stream on a hot day with a cooler full of cold beer.......

I’ve had sit in’s and sit on’s, much prefer sit on’s personally. I’d opt to buy used over new, not much to go wrong with a kayak, and if there is it’s usually pretty obvious. You can usually get a kayak and paddles for about 1/2 the price of new if you buy used. Plus you can get a high end kayak used for the price of a new low-mid range new one.

It’s always fun to go with a few people on a hot day, it’s a blast.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Costco in the spring if you can wait. They sell the whole deal, paddles and foamies for the vehicle roof. Best price too and they are good kayaks.
gets my vote too. We like them just to get out. They are a little sluggish but do the trick for $400. The price is definitely right!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Default Kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Kayaks are more fun on a river or stream on a hot day with a cooler full of cold beer.......

I’ve had sit in’s and sit on’s, much prefer sit on’s personally. I’d opt to buy used over new, not much to go wrong with a kayak, and if there is it’s usually pretty obvious. You can usually get a kayak and paddles for about 1/2 the price of new if you buy used. Plus you can get a high end kayak used for the price of a new low-mid range new one.

It’s always fun to go with a few people on a hot day, it’s a blast.
I have never even tried one, so that’s the reason I would like it for lakes first, to get balance before attempting a river.
Had not thought about sit on, as I thought it might be better to have lower centre of gravity. Might have to reconsider that now.
I agree with your thoughts on used, being better value wise.
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
I have never even tried one, so that’s the reason I would like it for lakes first, to get balance before attempting a river.
Had not thought about sit on, as I thought it might be better to have lower centre of gravity. Might have to reconsider that now.
I agree with your thoughts on used, being better value wise.
Thanks.
We have sit in ones and I like it as they keep you drier but my son is 6'3 and his legs are a bit cramped, even with the foot pegs all the way back.

I think a sit on would be nice to keep cool on a hot day but if it gets cold or windy, I would not want to be wet. The sit in is a better fit for us.

I have been on the lake and the NSR here. Haven't been on any real fast flowing rivers but want to try.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:59 PM

Friends of mine recommended the sit on for rivers.
Their experience with the sit in was unless you have a tight skirt around you the whole time water gets in an they get very unstable.
I went with sit on top and couldn’t be happier.
Easy to hop on and off for a break or a little swim.

My $0.02
Old 08-07-2020, 01:01 PM

If you just want to get on the water get any recreational boat. There are some deals to be had used (alot less deals this summer). If your looking to upgrade you can sell for what you paid. Check out boat craft in edmonton for some knowledgable boat guys, if MEC or totem ever do demo days again where you can try out a bunch of boats, that's a great place to learn what you like. I personally use sit in, and have only ever used recreational sit on boats. So I cant give a good comparison.
But I still perfer a canoe!
Brad
Old 08-07-2020, 01:35 PM

I love the sit on tops because u can sit sideways comfortably with your legs in the water. its nice and cool.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM

Default Kayak

A few thing, that I had not thought of.we are actually thinking of getting 2. But want to start out with , one that we can both get comfortable with first.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:30 PM

As mentioned in another thread, rent a couple different styles to get a feel. The sit on let’s you get on and off with relative ease. A sit in is something you generally want to stay in. Rolling is better than bailing. I haven’t tried a sit on, but they look Beamer for increased stability.
I had a white water boat for years, great for riding the current, but virtually useless for cruising on still water. I also had a clipper cruiser, long and sleek, very tippy, but, a single paddle stroke went a long way. Useless for fast water.
I second a good used boat. Gives an opportunity to resell if you are narrowing down your type of paddling.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:32 PM

Default Kayak

I have thought about a rental, but the closest shop is 1.5 hrs away, so 3 hr round trip, won’t give a person much time on the water. Should be lots of used ones for sale in a few weeks
Old 08-07-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I have thought about a rental, but the closest shop is 1.5 hrs away, so 3 hr round trip, won’t give a person much time on the water. Should be lots of used ones for sale in a few weeks
If you check with some of the shops, they may have resumed thier demo days? Last one I was at was at Cultus in Chilliwack. Lots of different boats to play with. Maybe even head to the local paddle spot and chat up with boaters.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:45 PM

Almost all 10 ft kayaks are for kids/teens. Assuming you are an adult look into a larger kayak at least 12 ft and thank me later. Longer kayaks are faster and easier to paddle. Wider kayaks are slower but more stable.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:01 PM

Default Kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Almost all 10 ft kayaks are for kids/teens. Assuming you are an adult look into a larger kayak at least 12 ft and thank me later. Longer kayaks are faster and easier to paddle. Wider kayaks are slower but more stable.
The only reason I was thinking 10ft. Was to be able to haul it in the back of my truck easier, it’s only a 6ft. Box
Old 08-07-2020, 09:52 PM

Short boat means more beam, for your weight. Even with a rudder, you paddle harder and into a breeze can wear you down pretty quick. Getting blown downwind isn’t much fun.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 PM

The OP mentiioned the kayak is just for fun at the lake. When I was looking at kayaks 2 years ago Aquaglide has some inflatable kayaks that looked good. Reasonable prices too. I ended up not getting a kayak in the end.

https://www.aquaglide.com/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-08-2020, 12:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
The only reason I was thinking 10ft. Was to be able to haul it in the back of my truck easier, it’s only a 6ft. Box
Drop tailgate....12' min but....fun times got one...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-08-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The OP mentiioned the kayak is just for fun at the lake. When I was looking at kayaks 2 years ago Aquaglide has some inflatable kayaks that looked good. Reasonable prices too. I ended up not getting a kayak in the end.

https://www.aquaglide.com/
I believe aquabatics in edmonton and calgary sell these

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-08-2020, 02:00 PM

Arrow ... Think Again ❗

Quote:

I am thinking of getting a sit in model 10ft. Just for some summer fun on the lake.
Anybody with some advice, or someone who is selling one of these
Thanks in advance

From my 15+ years of kayaking, I would have to say that a 10ft. lake kayak is just a 'Toy' ... it's Way Too Short, making it a Bytch to paddle (even short distances).

My first lake kayak was a 12ft'er, and even that was too short ... and got sold pretty quick. If I was to do it all over again, my first lake kayak would be no shorter than 14ft, and no wider than 24".

For more details & info, check here 👉 https://www.google.ca/search?source=...sclient=psy-ab

If after you've done your research, and you're still not sure, try Renting different kayaks first.

with it ❗

Selkirk
Old 08-08-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
From my 15+ years of kayaking, I would have to say that a 10ft. lake kayak is just a 'Toy' ... it's Way Too Short, making it a Bytch to paddle (even short distances).

My first lake kayak was a 12ft'er, and even that was too short ... and got sold pretty quick. If I was to do it all over again, my first lake kayak would be no shorter than 14ft, and no wider than 24".

For more details & info, check here 👉 https://www.google.ca/search?source=...sclient=psy-ab

If after you've done your research, and you're still not sure, try Renting different kayaks first.

with it ❗

Selkirk
good idea
Old 08-08-2020, 07:42 PM

You can buy or make a support to go in hitch receiver if kayak sticks out too far. 12 ft probably doesnt even need one though once tailgate is down.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:32 AM

Default Kayak

Thanks for the info guys.
Got a few things to think about now