Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 10:11 AM

I agree with suggestion lots of 22 target shooting for our sons at early age. Elk hunting with son on Brazeau few years back, had my new Austrian 300 wmag with high end 3-9 scope. I made large cardboard and sent him way up ridge with trike to set it up. Told him how flat long range shooting my new rifle would perform. Fired 3 rounds we checked target pattern quite wide. He asked if could shot the long range with 30-30 I had passed down to him. I said your bullets will probably drop into the dirt before target but said if you aim few feet above target may hit once or twice. He fired his 3 shots better pattern than me. I said " Thats enough target Practise"
Old 08-07-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
When watching all the hunting shows on T.V. have you ever noticed how poorly most of these guys shoot. Shot placement is poor. More often than not, the animal gets hit in the guts or on the edges. Too high, too low, too far back...
The average hunter is the same way though. Here in Sk, the average road hunter doesn't even get out of the truck or off the path if the deer don't drop dead... I think you overestimate the average hunter.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:45 PM

Default Celebrity

Same thing here in Alberta. So many road hunters have will take a shot at an animal and not even go take a look if they don’t see it drop. I’ve found many wasted animals this way.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Not much more to it really...

I was busy doing expediting and flying around so I really didnt need my rifle so I offered it to him.

Dan Goodenow (RIP) was with me when this guy was complaining about the rifle........Dan and I would room together so naturally after it all, we had a good laugh. Lol

I can see getting excited and having a hard time keeping the crosshairs steady. I get that. Im past that, but i understand. Seeing such magnificent animals is a dream for many. Im a bit numb to it.

But its the hunters responsibility to ensure the planets align before he or she pulls the trigger. Thats a live animal in those crosshairs and it deserves the best youve got to offer. Anything less than that is hard to justify to me.
So just kinda wondering what your experiences have taught you when it comes to guys using target bullets for hunting, smaller calibers with lower velocity’s to reduce recoil And still shoot moose everywhere but in the vitals. Usually these guys are internet experts also. How do you guys decide who get these kinda clients when they show up at camp. What would you tell these guys to expect when they show up?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
So just kinda wondering what your experiences have taught you when it comes to guys using target bullets for hunting, smaller calibers with lower velocity’s to reduce recoil And still shoot moose everywhere but in the vitals. Usually these guys are internet experts also. How do you guys decide who get these kinda clients when they show up at camp. What would you tell these guys to expect when they show up?
I’m not sure about huntinstuff’s experience, but in my personal experience I’ve never noticed cartridge or bullet type be the determining factor in success. I had a guy with a Tikka in 260rem drop a moose with his first shot at around 400yds, then I had another guy with a Blaser in 300mag take 5 shots before he actually hit the moose at 300yds.

The guy with the Tikka had his rifle for a few years, but had a custom trigger, after market bolt handle, bolt shroud, trigger guard, you name it and he had it swapped out, you could tell he liked to tinker with his gun. The guy with the blaser had his rifle for probably 30 years, had a Swarovski scope on it and most likely only takes it out of the box once a year. When I looked through his scope the first thing I noticed was his crosshairs were off by about 3 degrees, but he knew everything, apparently I was mistaken....,
Old 08-08-2020, 07:49 PM

Shooting is a " use it or loose it" thing.
When I was a young kid ( 40 years ago), my dad would drop me off somewhere with a brick or .22 shells and say, " make sure you're at Uncle Elmer's at dark" man o man did we have jackrabbits back then!!
I got to be an incredible shot off hand shooting at running Jack's.
I do still have some of the off-hand thing down but it wains every year.
I watch very few " hunting shows" anymore because of poor shot placement and the excuses they seem to use too cover them up.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I had to lend my rifle to the vice president of a well known gun manufacturer while in the Yukon. He didnt do his paperwork properly and was denied bringing his rifle into Canada.

He took my rifle and was being guided by Jim Shockey.

After the hunt ended, I was on the dock to help them unload and see how it went.

Then this VP comes up.to me complaining that my rifle was garbage/inaccurate etc. etc.....apparently he hit a caribou in the ass, a wolf in the guts and needed 4 shots to put his moose down......hmmm. I was thinking " what did this dink do to my rifle???"

Just so happens I was heading to the gravel pit later with Eva Shockey to sight in her new rifle. I took my rifle with us.

Eva put a small empty water bottle up at 100yds. I shot two holes in it, both holes touching. Eva says "do that to MY rifle!!!!"

Absolutely nothing wrong with my gun. We sighted in Eva's rifle and headed back.

Eva and I walked into Wojo's office and I put the waterbottle on Wojo's table as he and Jim were debriefing........Jim smirked and commented that this guy couldnt shoot worth beans.
Was that the 30-06? As I recall it was a shooter!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Was that the 30-06? As I recall it was a shooter!
Absolutely the best rifle I have

And each and every time I use it, I do remember where I got it. Lol

That was the best phone call ever. "Hey Randy, ive got this new rifle and its n your calibre..."
Old 08-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I rarely know what bullets my clients use. I always ask the caliber. Lots of 300's, some .270, one 30-378, etc. Many guys do shoot partitions. I hear that a fair bit

I think the longest shot on a moose has been 180 yds? I think it was Reg Gassen and we put that hunt on one of Jims Yukon moose videos....mega moose or something like that. Reg had a 30-378 and he off handed this gronk of a moose. He was 70 something years old. Great guy

One fella had a .308. Well worn, leupold 3x9....I was thrilled. He shot it very well.

I usually cringe if I see a new rifle with new scope. We do spend part of the first 6 hours at camp shooting at 100yds. 100yds is lots actually. As a guide I should be able to get the hunter up close and personal with a moose. I kinda treat it like Im bowhunting......

Other than that .308, I think the smallest calibre is probably my 30-06 now that I think of it......
Old 08-10-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Absolutely the best rifle I have

And each and every time I use it, I do remember where I got it. Lol

That was the best phone call ever. "Hey Randy, ive got this new rifle and its n your calibre..."
Bahaha! I do not like the 30-06 cartridge, never have and I have owned at least 14 guns in that cartridge. None were even in the same time zone as that Sako for accuracy. That gun shot so dang well I knew that it needed someone who loved the cartridge and appreciated tack driver accuracy in a no nonsense low maintenance package. I'm sure it has collected a fine patina of scuffs and scars with an awesome story attached to each one. Cheers!
Old 08-27-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Celebrity hunters

No hockey tonight, who cares actually, so I watched a couple of bow hunting shows. Each show, the shot taken ended up with brutal shot placement. These hunting show heros need to learn to shoot first, and hunt later.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
No hockey tonight, who cares actually, so I watched a couple of bow hunting shows. Each show, the shot taken ended up with brutal shot placement. These hunting show heros need to learn to shoot first, and hunt later.

Very true,. The gun hunters are no better, just watch where the hits are on the animals they shoot. They never show you the entry and exit hole on any of the close ups because most are in totally the wrong place. You also never see all the misses and wounded not recovered as those all hit the editing room floor. Most of these hunting shows make us look like loud mouth, back slapping idiots who disrespect the animals we shoot, and highlights what bad shooting slobs represent our sport.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:55 AM

Default Yup

As hunters we are misrepresented by most. I mean I see pics now of people posing with coyotes, with make up. Not the yotes.
See people bragging 100yd arrow shots. Some idiots on youtube sticking 3-4 arrows in a suffering animal. Good god, we are coming off as barbaric when truly we are just meat eaters with great empathy for our downed animals. These celebrities truly are ruining it.
The one show with the Dads voice in the background all the time, oh my lord help us. Rather catch covid and suffer than watch that show.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:37 AM

Sure is a tough crowd out there.There isnt one person that ive ever hunted with that makes great shots every time whether it be bow or gun-and now have a camera filming every minute of it and put it on tv for all to criticize.Yes there are some shows that are better than others but I dont understand why people complain about shows where they hate the personalities.Why are they watching it to begin with?You only have to watch the shows you enjoy.Or you can produce your own show /youtube channel and put perfection shots on camera everytime.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:01 AM

I've only ever watched meat eater and enjoyed it. From the sounds of things I'm glad I haven't spent any time on any of the other shows.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:13 PM

Thumbs down It's no longer about hunting

When hunting shows first showed up on the idiot box, they portrayed ethical hunters with a deep love of the wilderness and their quarry. Then, along came the specialty channels and the gear guys to market the newest, most expensive equipment to a wide eyed audience ready to buy whatever they were selling.
Now the genre is populated with gun toting, camo wearing versions of the Instagram model or Youtube influencer. They have to churn out episodes on a schedule; showing the kill, even a poor kill, is necessary to maintain ratings and continue selling their brand.
With few exceptions, this should be their official mascot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg celebrity bowhunters.jpg (59.4 KB, 79 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-28-2020, 05:05 PM

No lack of theses issues with average hunters and my only issue with TV hunters is the bad ones give crappy hunters an excuse to justify
Old 08-28-2020, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Sure is a tough crowd out there.There isnt one person that ive ever hunted with that makes great shots every time whether it be bow or gun-and now have a camera filming every minute of it and put it on tv for all to criticize.Yes there are some shows that are better than others but I dont understand why people complain about shows where they hate the personalities.Why are they watching it to begin with?You only have to watch the shows you enjoy.Or you can produce your own show /youtube channel and put perfection shots on camera everytime.
I remember when the only hunting shows I could watch was realtree outdoors and Michigan outdoors. I would only get to watch realtree outdoors on Sunday mornings and I think Michigan outdoors was on thursdays. I loved having the opportunity to watch either one of them, and still do. I love the fact we can watch a hunting show, I know if they were pulled off the air that a lot of the people complaining about tv host marksmanship would be complaining about tv programming choices.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:42 PM

Default Celebrity hunters

I get a kick out of some of the female hunters, and don’t get me wrong, female hunters are awesome, but when they are all dolled up with the pink fingernails, pink bows, lipstick and makeup, it makes them look more like eye candy than hunters. Pat and Nicole makes me laugh every time. I find myself more and more disinterested in any of these shows all the time.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:44 PM

The only hunting show I can stomach is Meat Eater, most of the others disgust me and those that don't, don't interest me. I have a few Randy Anderson videos that I enjoy. I guess I have a thing for down home guys. lol

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-28-2020, 05:53 PM

Default People have edit buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Nobody is saying we are all Johnny Sniper, Chris Kyle himself. We are saying we don't film idiocy and post it. And I put it on wild TV and it stays there as all the rest of the TV channels now are protests and people protesting protests. And its okay to think some of the shows are hard to stomach. I also liked this thread but not posts like yours, so does that mean I cannot enjoy reading the thread?
Hahahaha, yeah man.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:07 PM

Lol I have a buddy who took some well known hunting show hosts Sheep hunting and apparently the Husband is a complete idiot , almost shot his camera man and didn’t care , the Hot wife was awesome and was the true hunter , the husband was soft as butter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2020, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
Lol I have a buddy who took some well known hunting show hosts Sheep hunting and apparently the Husband is a complete idiot , almost shot his camera man and didn’t care , the Hot wife was awesome and was the true hunter , the husband was soft as butter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta be Pat and Nicole.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Nobody is saying we are all Johnny Sniper, Chris Kyle himself. We are saying we don't film idiocy and post it. And I put it on wild TV and it stays there as all the rest of the TV channels now are protests and people protesting protests. And its okay to think some of the shows are hard to stomach. I also liked this thread but not posts like yours, so does that mean I cannot enjoy reading the thread?
Hahahaha, yeah man.
Read all you want and keep laughing at yourself.Yeah man-whatever
Old 08-29-2020, 10:40 AM

Default Celebrity

I’m betting it was Pat and Nicole.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Gotta be Pat and Nicole.

Ralph & Vicky? Lol

Cody & whatever her name is...Ivanka?
Old 08-29-2020, 03:04 PM

It's real easy to be a sniper at the range with your gun clamped to a vise, and all the time in the world to punch holes in a piece of paper that is standing still at a known distance.

Then get out on the field, where you may or may not have time, may not be able to get down to shoot, or find a rest and your "master sniper badge" proves that you couldn't hot a pie plate at 100 yards.

Once I'm done verifying zero and making any scope adjustments - it's time to shoot from a couple different positions, off sticks, off hand, etc.. and try and count down a few seconds to try to train yourself to acquire the target, get settled on where you want the bullet to go (aim small miss small I always tell myself) and squeeze the trigger carefully ........... which is where the river hits the road on real hunters versus celebrity hunters.

Even with lots and lots of practice, my groups open up dramatically, and I owe it to the animal to take the shots that I can make. Nobody wants to wound and animal and chase it through the woods and have to haul it out 11 hours and 5 miles later.

These TV guys and celebrities doll up a $5000 custom rifle that can shoot paper at 1/2 MOA but can't hit a truck at 100 yards in real life.

As a few others, I enjoy the meat eater, he's a real guy, who walks, hikes, hunts, kills and cooks his game - like the rest of us "regular people"

He doesn't have a "team" of guys following him around to show him where the game is, or hauling out the game out of the woods for him, and gutting it for him - just like me - he needs to think about that.

That why I especially hate the African Safari shows - Husband and Wife all neat and clean, get out of a range rover, walk 30 yards and blast the hind quarters off their game ........... then the hired natives gotta go track it down and finish it off ..... off camera ...cut to next scene and there's the guy's wife posing with an eland.

hop back into the A/C SUV and head back to the resort and soak in the hot tub and drink a glass of bubbly and enjoy some caviar while the natives clean up and cape "your kill"

Last edited by EZM; 08-29-2020 at 03:13 PM.