Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 07:56 PM

Default Knife Sharpener System

Bought a couple of nice hunting knives and would like to learn how to sharpen them properly. Looking for recommendations on best techniques, equipment and instructions to do this.

Thx in advance.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:27 PM

I use the lansky angle sharpening 5 stone kit since 1996. Verry pleased with the edges i get.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:27 PM

What kind of steel is the blade made of. Normally I would recommend water stones, but some of the new super steels require diamond. Sharpening a knife is a skill well worth learning. If the steel will take it, freehand on a water stone is my recommendation. Depending on what you want, there are two sided stones available, coarse and fine. Some people like a saw edge, coarser, and some people like a really fine edge, finer stones. If you Google water stone technics there are lots of options. For cutting meat a coarser edge seems to be favored.

A good look at knife steels.
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Kn...Guide--3368#d2

The premium steels on this list would do best with diamond sharpeners, the rest could be sharpened with water stones. (I think) The high end steels might be a little iffy.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 PM

Lee Valley has really good Japanese water stones, that's what I use (on my Montec broadheads too). Also, micro-fine sandpaper on a piece of glass for mirror polish. It takes practice. I also have the Lansky systema for quick touch ups.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-07-2020, 07:44 AM

Edge Pro is worth every penny. Have had the Pro model for 14 years now.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:56 AM

Wicked Edge

-Billy Molls
Old 08-07-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post
I use the lansky angle sharpening 5 stone kit since 1996. Verry pleased with the edges i get.
Agree. I'm a novice at best but I find the Lansky system very straight forward to use and with good results.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 AM

Thank you very much for the info. I have been using a disposable blade knife but it gets expensive and I hate the waste. I bought a Fallkniven with VG10 steel and a custom knife for my son.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:05 AM

Some years back my wife bought me an Edge Pro Apex sharpening system.

https://www.amazon.ca/Edge-Pro-Sharp...6812200&sr=8-2

It's a little bit pricey but works great. I have no way to compare as I've never tried any others but if you're going to buy a system, check reviews and pricing extensively before making a choice.

Be advised, this system requires you to switch hands as you switch sides of the blade, so if you're strongly right/left handed and can't do squat with your offhand, then this won't be the system to buy. (my wife's offhand is useless whereas I'm ambidexterous so this system works for me but wouldn't for her)
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-07-2020, 09:11 AM

There is a lot of information here on AO.... I searched knife sharpening

I use the DMT, Lanskey, and homemade leather stops with white, blue and red sharpening compounds.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...rpening+knives

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:51 AM
AO Sponsor

Lots of ways to sharpen a knife. What is key is learning whatever method you choose thoroughly and stick to it until you can do it in your sleep. If you are always jumping around trying to find a better way without ever mastering the first way, you will never get as keen as you would like.

I made that mistake in the beginning. Now for my knives I find what works well for me on knives is the Lansky system to get an edge to where I am happy and then I maintain the edge freehand on fine/super fine diamond plates with a green compound charged leather strop.

If the edge ever gets damaged or neglected (thank my wife for that haha!) I go back to the Lansky to re-establish the bevel and edge and then carry on as described above.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 AM

I learned to sharpen wood chisels and knives using Arkansas Natural Stones, When they came out with Diamond stones I found I could get a better edge with less work so that's what I use now along with ceramic sticks to finish it off, That Edge Pro looks like a good unit for getting a consistant angle
Old 08-07-2020, 10:04 AM

I have a lot of experience sharpening knives and own almost every kind of sharpening system around. For someone just learning, it is very hard to beat the Lansky type system. I have one with Diamond hones and it does a great job on all types of knives and all types of steel, even real hard high Rockwell S90V or D2. GATCO brought out a similar sharpener and the one my buddy has I actually like even better than my original Lansky. It has much wider stones, the rods are fixed to the stone so they aren't getting loose as you use them, is easier to use and sharpens the same knife in about a 2/3s the time it takes with the Lansky. I would buy the GATCO if I was getting one today but mMake sure you go for the Diamond stone version.

If you do not have a lot of experience stay far away from any of the electric types, especially the belt type ones. It is very easy to mess up a good knife if you don't use them exactly right.

Lansky

Gatco

Old 08-07-2020, 10:06 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I learned to sharpen wood chisels and knives using Arkansas Natural Stones, When they came out with Diamond stones I found I could get a better edge with less work so that's what I use now along with ceramic sticks to finish it off, That Edge Pro looks like a good unit for getting a consistant angle
Yeah with the newer more modern steels, Arkansas stones just are not aggressive enough for sure. If someone is using more traditional steels like O1 etc though, Arkansas stones are nice in that they stay flat for a long time and really are super easy and not messy to use. I have some as well for my woodworking tools but barely use them now. I almost always use my Japanese water stones for that stuff.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Thank you very much for the info. I have been using a disposable blade knife but it gets expensive and I hate the waste. I bought a Fallkniven with VG10 steel and a custom knife for my son.
I presume your fallkniven is convex ground. If you plan on keeping that grind your not using anything like a lansky or edge pro. I used a fallkniven F1 for 15+ years and was never satisfied with the convex edge I put on it. I then took it to a flat grind and while it took a long time and I had to thin behind the edge a LOT it worked and I could get it sharp enough to be happy. Ask graybeard, he bought it off me and knows how the edge was. I also buried the whole blade on that same knife into my thigh once skinning an elk.
Anyway, vg10 doesn’t have any carbides to speak of and you can sharpen it on pretty well any stone. If your going to maintain the convex edge you are stuck doing it freehand and there is a ton of information online how to do it. I used to use sandpaper on a mouse pad but idk if you can even find a mouse pad these days...
Get a strop as well as they work well on convex edges. My gransfors bruk hatchet is convex ground and I use a diamond stone in a circular motion working at ever increasing angles toward the edge. It’s easier for you to watch on youtube then me to explain.

What’s the second knifes steel and what grind is on it?
Old 08-07-2020, 10:33 AM

I have a Ken Onion I use for quickly sharpening utility knives, garden tools and stuff like that - works quick.

For Kitchen, Hunting and Fillet knives - Japanese water stones, a towel, and some time.

There is no "system" out there that will get you a better edge once you figure out how to do it properly.

I also have the Lansky 5 stone - it's excellent for those who may not understand the principles of why/how/what angles but stopped using it years ago as I started using full sized wet stones - but the Lansky's are pretty fool proof …………... if you DO use a flat big water stone, you have to do it correctly otherwise you are peeing up a rope - most people don't.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Different option.

If I may offer a lower priced option, we bought one of these years ago.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...-1756338p.html

It's not a high dollar sharpener, but I've found it works quite well. And the learning curve is very small. I taught my 12 year old daughter to use it, and within a couple separate tries, she gets an extremely good edge on our knives.
Everything from cheap knives that need sharpening often, to some higher dollar ones.
You have to make certain that the angles are correct for your knives as it's non adjustable.
It won't put an edge like a skilled water stone user can get, but I've used a lansky, and it's pretty close to the result with them.
It'll make a decent knife virtually sharp enough to shave, but not quite.
Just another option if cost is any concern.
Ken
Old 08-07-2020, 07:58 PM

Some really great information in this thread. Thank you all!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:14 PM

Default Knife sharpening - Lansky type system

I suck at sharpening my knives on Arkansas stones, water stones, or anything similar.

I've tried the Lansky, and it is a very good system. But I settled on a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. Gives me two angles - the base bevel and the finishing bevel. Very very fast, and removes the minimum of steel from the blade edge. It uses "high alumina ceramic" sticks, and it's virtually impossible to get the angles wrong - if you can hold the knife so the blade is vertical, you get edges you can shave with every time.

Not many stores sell it in Canada, at the time I bought my latest version (I'd given my original 35 year old TriAngle set to my son so he wouldn't butcher his knives) I got it from the U.S. Now I see that Amazon has it listed on their Canadian site, at cheaper than when I bought mine 5 years back. The Lansky is just as good, but I prefer the profile of the Ceramic sticks on the Tri-Angle, they work better for me. YMMV.

O.N.G.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 PM

I have one of the Syderco too. I agree they are a pretty good sharpener. I do however find them quite a bit slower than th gatco or lansky diamond hone sets unless the bevels are already well established.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:59 PM
Banned

This looks interesting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5e76c4c0167f83
I have one of their manual sharpeners that works very well.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
This looks interesting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5e76c4c0167f83
I have one of their manual sharpeners that works very well.
That is exactly the one I warned him to stay away from. I have one and it has its uses but you really better know what you are doing with it or you can quickly belly a blade or round over the tip to the point it is a lot of work to get back. These are only useful for people who are REALLY proficient at sharpening knives and even then they have a pretty steep learning curve.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
That is exactly the one I warned him to stay away from. I have one and it has its uses but you really better know what you are doing with it or you can quickly belly a blade or round over the tip to the point it is a lot of work to get back. These are only useful for people who are REALLY proficient at sharpening knives and even then they have a pretty steep learning curve.
Gotcha, glad you mentioned that before I pulled the trigger....I was considering it.
I have their Field Sharpener which is foolproof and was hoping this would be the same, but I’ll shy away from it now.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:59 PM

I have a lansky style. Works great but for one knife in 440c. It gets sharp enough to dress a bear but you can’t shave with it
Old 08-07-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Gotcha, glad you mentioned that before I pulled the trigger....I was considering it.
I have their Field Sharpener which is foolproof and was hoping this would be the same, but I’ll shy away from it now.
If you want to give one a try let me know and I will drop mine off for you at work. Take a cheap knife, even a butter knife, so you aren't risking anything and play with it a bunch. See what you think of it.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
I have a lansky style. Works great but for one knife in 440c. It gets sharp enough to dress a bear but you can’t shave with it
Done right on the Lansky and finished on a strop or hard black Arkansas you will easily be able to shave with it. All mine are shaving sharp when done.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:14 AM

When Coiloil37 speaks to knives whether it is sharpening or steel quality, I listen.

I only know of two people that can sharpen knives to a scary edge and Coiloil37 is one of them and yes I still have that Fallkniven you stabbed yourself with, and I love the flat grind.....As a matter of fact, all my knives are flat ground.

I have learned that, with practice and time, anyone can do it. Now having said that, some people are better than others.

Remember the durability of an edge is about the quality of the steel.

To make that point, a friend gave me an ENZO with D2 steel for a full hunting season and I was not to sharpen it at all.....I thought to myself "what a joke, nothing can do that". Boy was I wrong.

During that season that knife dressed two full elk and two deer and there was still enough edge to do another deer.

At the end of each use all I did was wash it in soap and water.

At the end of the season I re-sharpened that knife and it took 30 strops each way and the edge was back to shaving sharp.

http://knifeinformer.com/discovering...t-knife-steel/

Good luck,
GB

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Your right about the quality of the heat treat and steel reflecting the durability of an edge. One would have to include the geometry, if it was properly sharpened and how it’s used.

Properly heat treated and sharpened D2 is some great steel for cutting up animals. Very toothy and cuts forever.

I’m a bit pedantic about edges but in 2015 I decided to see how long one of my Crotts in D2 could cut before I had to touch it up. It skinned a bear, three elk and six deer that year and after it all would still easily shave arm hair. I sharpened it after the fall season because it felt like the right thing to do, not because it needed it.

Here she is here

My fillet knife is only .005” behind the edge but made by Phil Wilson and I’ve never had it roll, chip or lose an edge regardless of how many fish I’ve had to clean in a day. And by loose an edge I mean cut like a laser with zero resistance, the way I expect my knives to cut. It’ll handle a day like below in the photo and effortlessly shave my arm afterward. These demersal fish have heavy scales and I go through them top down.

Phil’s the best in the biz though and knows how to make a knife. You’ll have to forgive the sloppy filleting work on the wahoo, he was to big for the kill tank and I used my bait knife to cut the fillets off.

Now OP.

Your convex edge has to be done free hand or on a loose belt driven system. I found them easy to get shaving but hard to get to the level of sharp I prefer.

You still haven’t told us what grind and steel the second knife has?
Old 08-08-2020, 02:16 PM

I've been using a Lansky system since the late 90's, I keep it in my trailer during summer, and I sit by the fire sharpening my knives. I can shave my arm when done, it's easy to use.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:29 PM

I have had a Lansky foe 30 years and bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker about 10 years ago. The Sharpmaker is my favourite by far, although both do the job. I find sharpening smaller knives like my Fallkniven U2 easier with the Spyderco set up.
If you have some time to spare you could watch the Sharpmaker video guides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0r...&feature=inbox