Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Under Floor Boat Storage Compartment

I have one in my 2003 17ft Sylvan profish. It's basically in the very center of the boat between the driver and passenger seats in floor. I know lots of boats have them but my concern is when it rains it keeps water in it. Do others have drain holes in them and can I drill a couple in it so I don't have to scoop it out all the time? Will it come out with the bilge pump if it drains out to bottom with holes drilled? What ya think? Be nice if I could post pics, don't have much luck with that on here. Can do from email or text though
Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 PM

Can you reach the rear of the storage compartment. If so, drill a hole at the lowest part of the rear enclosure so the water will drain to the back of the boat. I have never seen one of those under floor storage spaces that didn't have a drain hole but apparently yours would be one.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:59 PM

Yes I can reach the back of it but wondering where my fuel tank (cell) is compared to it. Ya it's built in under floor also. Tried to find boat specs and design of layout but to no avail. Guess if it's a just poke through it should be fine. One in all 4 bottom corners should work?
Old 08-07-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Yes I can reach the back of it but wondering where my fuel tank (cell) is compared to it. Ya it's built in under floor also. Tried to find boat specs and design of layout but to no avail. Guess if it's a just poke through it should be fine. One in all 4 bottom corners should work?

I get what you are saying about the gas tank. I presumed you knew where that was. I would only put holes at the back of the compartment, one in each corner and one in the centre. Also, only if I was positive there was a hollow space between the bottom of the storage bin and the hull. Centre of the rear storage bin should have room, question would be the two corners. I would suggest talking to the Dealer before doing this as you may also have foam under the storage. The dealer will have peeled the floor out of at least a few of these over the years. If there is foam, drilling holes won't cause the water to drain. You may have to put a zero clearance bilge into the storage space instead.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-07-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the replies Dean2. Didn't even think about the foam!! I know Sylvan lake use to have a Sylvan dealer but they have moved out. Putting in a bilge will require a hose to be routed out and a power source. I will see if I can find a Sylvan dealer. Need to talk to someone in service dept.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:54 PM

I think the gas tank or any other wiring would be my only concern there before running a drill bit in there.

The floatation foam is (should be) permeable (despite the fact it closed cell) so it will allow water to seep down to keel and drain out to bilge sump and/or drain hole - so the foam is no problem. It's a specialized product used in boats and should be yellow in color although some brands pack poly styrene or syrofoam blocks in there first before pouring in the floatation foam to save money.

Premium brands will use spray in/pour in and "pin cushion" it to allow quick water collection for exactly what you are describing - I know if my boat sits out in the rain all night, I can run my bilge and loose a hundred pounds of water in a few minutes and it's usually one more "settling" of the water and one more pump out and she dries right up. So the water will work it's way down.

Best thing to do is call SmokerCraft/Sylvan in the US during business hours and get a technical opinion. It's 5 minutes of your time and they may have a solution for you.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:40 PM

Is it possible to remove the hatch lid/trim and lift out the liner to see what’s underneath?

Just spitballing here...
Old 08-07-2020, 05:46 PM

Bring up the front of the trailer and it should drain through the transom drain, on the trailer those hatchs become the low point
Old 08-07-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Bring up the front of the trailer and it should drain through the transom drain, on the trailer those hatchs become the low point
I think the storage compartment itself is holding water.

And to the OP - mine has drains around the lid/lip in it so it runs to the keel. When the key is turned and the boat is started the bilge kicks on and spits out all the water that went in overnight while it rained.

All of the lids have a lip with a hole in the corners that goes straight down through the pin cushion in the foam. Everything stays dry in the storage compartments which is nice - nothing worse than stinky spare jackets, life vests and ropes. yuk.

file image from lund .....

Last edited by EZM; 08-07-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:46 PM

Maybe drill one hole. And make it the size of a boat drain plug.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:14 PM

This thread got me to thinking ........... when buying a boat, these are things I'm looking at, like dry storage, hinges, type of flotation, construction of floor, trailers, gunnels, transom, seat bases, wiring, canopy hardware, ties downs, cleats, bow caps and stern , switches, etc...
Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This thread got me to thinking ........... when buying a boat, these are things I'm looking at, like dry storage, hinges, type of flotation, construction of floor, trailers, gunnels, transom, seat bases, wiring, canopy hardware, ties downs, cleats, bow caps and stern , switches, etc...
Some people don't have that luxury. They have to make do with what they have and make that work.