Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Cattle moved through area will deer/moose return???

I pulled a camera yesterday that was at a spot for about 6 weeks. On the hike in I noticed a lot of cow patties that weren't there when I placed the camera; appeared to be at least a few days old but still fairly recent.

I checked my camera and my card was full around 2700 pics. First 700 were great was seeing lots of moose and white tail pass by every evening and morning up until about oct 8th, then the cattle moved in and filled my card in 3 days with tons of photos. Filtered through those photos and wasn't seeing any game when cattle was around.

So wondering if anyone has been in this situation and if the deer/moose have returned once the cattle were gone?? How long to recover?

The area is a couple quarters pasture with lots of bush, more of a bedding area then anything.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM

I've noticed similar results on 3 quarters I've hunted for years. The years where cattle weren't in a particular quarter were much better for all game. The farmer seems to rotate them around. I'm not sure how long it takes for the game to return to whatever is normal.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Default cows

Doesn't take long, they don't go far and often just hang close by.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Should be back in a few days after the cattle are gone.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:19 PM

As long as they are gone you should be alright. If there still around the spots a bust no question .
Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM

Should have taken a pic of the cow moose bedded with 20 bovines around her yesterday. Didnt seem to care much.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
As long as they are gone you should be alright. If there still around the spots a bust no question .
Have to disagree here. Use to think the same and pulled stake in areas where the cattle came in.

It of course would depend on area, but I personally would not give up on the area... All the best.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM

I've hunted in a few of the provincial grazing reserves and have seen/taken my fair share of deer and moose. Hasn't been an issue for me.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 AM

where I hunt there is a grazing permit and the cattle move in around the end of August and leave about the middle of October. The deer change their patterns to accommodate the cattle but return to old patterns by November.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 AM

I don't no about moose but the deer and elk live with my cows and horses feeding with them.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:23 PM

I suppose not all bets are off but I would strongly suggest not hanging out in a the pasture and hoping deer keep coming in normally. Around our place the deer and moose vacate immediately once we let cattle in. They won't be far but over the fence for sure. Especially this time of year, life is easy for them and jot afraid to move. Dead of winter it's another story.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 PM

Yes they will return.

I camp amongst the cattle on many of my hunts.
Game animals are always close by.

A few years ago I watched two bull moose bull dogging cattle cows.
I almost hit the ditch I was so excited to pull over and watch.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:28 AM

Thanks for replies. I had 2 trail cams out there and left one out there to see what returns. I did sit tell last light that night and didn't see a single deer. Im suspecting they are not far but probably over the fence in surrounding land that of coarse I do not have permission on. Will let the camera do its work for a few weeks