Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default Up in a tree stand hunting white tail coyote comes in

As the titles says let say your up in your tree stand and a coyote comes in to the area that your expecting deer to be in, my question is from your guys experience do you just wait it out knowing that once the coyote leaves, after a while the deer will come out?

Or do you shoot the coyote knowing that he spooked up everything in the area and now the deer won't come out for hours
Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 PM

take the coyote out. he will be there for a long time but a gun shot will only disturb game for a little while.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 PM

Shoot the little deer killer!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyo View Post
Shoot the little deer killer!

I'm looking for answers with reason I'm targeting right now a few nice white tailed bucks not coyotes, yes I know predator managment is good
But I'm looking for reasons like shoot him because he's going to ruin your set for a while and spook all the deer etc

Not just shoot the coyote cause he kills deer
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinalberta View Post
take the coyote out. he will be there for a long time but a gun shot will only disturb game for a little while.
Right on thats a good point do you think one coyote will spook the deer from even comming out?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 PM

Shot three yodel dogs last week out of a stand and buddy had a 165 class buck walk through in daylight. I'd say shoot em. But leaving em seems to have the same effect. Just one less yote if you do.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:20 PM

I have had a coyote come out of the bush then 20 minutes later a deer comes out I would stay put and wouldn't shoot it IMO. I've also been part of lots of deer drives where it's just a small bush and both deer and coyote both come running out.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
I have had a coyote come out of the bush then 20 minutes later a deer comes out I would stay put and wouldn't shoot it IMO. I've also been part of lots of deer drives where it's just a small bush and both deer and coyote both come running out.

Right makes sense so in other words it depends how skidish the deer are im thinking my best bet is to not shoot and see what happens unless theres multiple dogs in my set
Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 AM

It's a catch 22. You could shoot the coyote he's worth some gas money or wait it out. My dad watched three coyotes take down a doe two years ago . He was ready to bang flop them when a 170 stepped out. Needless the say he passed like any rancher would and bagged some yotes. He'd rather eat steak.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
It's a catch 22. You could shoot the coyote he's worth some gas money or wait it out. My dad watched three coyotes take down a doe two years ago . He was ready to bang flop them when a 170 stepped out. Needless the say he passed like any rancher would and bagged some yotes. He'd rather eat steak.
LOL .. Me too ..